Thread: interesting twist on trading prospects

Threads : 123
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default interesting twist on trading prospects

Earlier this week, a scout in the middle of his 130th straight day on the road – or maybe it was his 131st; he loses track sometimes – doled out a homework assignment. He’s been around for a while and turns sour when he hears all the talk about prospects.

“Go look!” he said. “Look at the last 10 years. And tell me how many pitching prospects blow their arms out or just stink or don’t even make it. I think you’ll be surprised.”

Trade-deadline duties left the project unfinished until Saturday night, when the research actually served a purpose. Pitching prospects came into focus during the most shocking deal before the July 31 deadline: Cleveland acquired the best player on the market, Colorado Rockies starter Ubaldo Jimenez(notes), for left-hander Drew Pomeranz, right-handers Alex White(notes) and Joe Gardner, and first baseman Matt McBride.

more

Threads : 123
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: interesting twist on trading prospects

the entire thing really does make sense, IF you have depth in the system. Which the Indians do!

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: interesting twist on trading prospects

You ned to have depth and you are also gambling on the prospects that the pitchers you have will bust more likely than not which is a pretty high percentage that I've written a couple of Articles on around Draft Time.

That seemed like a really hefty package though to jive up for Jiminez who while I like, isn't really a Dominant Ace type pitcher IMO. The Indians gave up their #2, #4, #9 and a c-level guy. Pomeranz and White are both Top 50 Prospects. PErsonally, I'd be wanting a sure fire ACE for that package of players and then more, Not Ubaldo Jiminez who has 1 plus year of pitching under his belt. The others are #2-#3 like results. #4 type results this season
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information