Thread: 2 DRAFT pick signings

Threads : 22

Default 2 DRAFT pick signings

From MLB trade rumors...

# The Pirates announced that they signed high school right-hander Jake Burnette. The seventh rounder gets $550K, according to Callis (on Twitter).

# The Pirates agreed to sign fifth rounder Tyler Glasnow for $600K, according to Callis. Itís the highest known deal outside of the first 65 picks this year, Callis reports.

Can't wait for the FO hate at the end of the signing period... about spending, number signed, etc... my second favorite time of year

Threads : 22

Default 2 draft picks signed

# The Pirates announced that they signed high school right-hander Jake Burnette. The seventh rounder gets $550K, according to Callis (on Twitter).

# The Pirates agreed to sign fifth rounder Tyler Glasnow for $600K, according to Callis. Itís the highest known deal outside of the first 65 picks this year, Callis reports.

Cant wait for the signing deadline and all the FO complaints on $$ sent and # signed

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2 DRAFT pick signings

I believe they are going to sign both Cole and Bell. NH certainly sounded confident during the last interview I heard and if you ask me, the needs Bell's bat in the system more than they need Cole's arm.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 66
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I
    believe they are going to sign both Cole and Bell. NH certainly sounded confident during the last interview I heard and if you ask me, the needs Bell's bat in the system more than they need Cole's arm.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I believe they are going to sign both Cole and Bell. NH certainly sounded confident during the last interview I heard and if you ask me, the needs Bell's bat in the system more than they need Cole's arm.
    You underestimate the importance of strong pitching, young grasshopper

Take 2 teams.

2008 Pittsburgh Pirates

2011 Pittsburgh Pirates

One team (until recently) had a winning record and was competing for the playoffs to the point where they were good enough to trade for players at the MLB level.

The other team was out of p-layoff contention by the Trade Deadline, on it's way to clearly another losing season and weren't buyers at the trade deadline because no amount of help that could be realiztically made was going to make a difference.

The first one I mentioned is this years Pittsburgh Pirates that has been built on the strength of it's pitching. When you have good pitching you have a chance to win every game. You might not win every game but you have a legit chance. How good or abd your offense doesn'tmatter as much becausegood pitching keeps the scores low and gives even the most anemic offenses a good chance to produce enough to win.

the 2nd one was the 2008 Offense that was at one point ranked #4 in all of MLB in runs scored. Between Bay, Doumit, McLouth, Bautista and Nady, that Pirates team showcased the most power in a lineup that I've probably seen. The current Pirates lineup has the ability to produce more but until it does, that 2008 lineup DID.

Problem with the 2008 team is that despite having awesome offensive support they had terrible pitching. "Anemic" is the word I used to describe the 2011 hitters, Anemic production is a good way to describe the 2008 pitching, since both were near the bottom of the league. That's not to mention the horrific defense the Pirates trotted out in 2008 with Bautista, Bay and McLouth.

While offense and great hitting is sexier, scoring is always funner, it's defense that wins you games. Just like talk about in Football and even Hockey. You can have all of the scoring you want but if you can't play defense and stop the other team, the offense won't get you the Wins when you need them, but good Defense will.

So I say, use caution when thinking we need more Offense in the system or that it's more valuable than pitching. Remember that pitching prospects tank far easier than hitting prospects and usually you can find some hitting prospects that step up over the years from nowhere. You can never have enough good pitching in your system with the rate that they bust and with the ridiculously high cost of pitchers someone like Paul Maholm is going to fetch $9+ million per year this offseason), drafting and developing your own and having them reach the big leagues is huge for any team
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    You underestimate the importance of strong pitching, young grasshopper Take 2 teams.2008 Pittsburgh Pirates2011 Pittsburgh PiratesOne team (until recently) had a winning record and was competing for the playoffs to the point where they were good enough to trade for players at the MLB level.The other team was out of p-layoff contention by the Trade Deadline, on it's way to clearly another losing season and weren't buyers at the trade deadline because no amount of help that could be realiztically made was going to make a difference.The first one I mentioned is this years Pittsburgh Pirates that has been built on the strength of it's pitching. When you have good pitching you have a chance to win every game. You might not win every game but you have a legit chance. How good or abd your offense doesn'tmatter as much becausegood pitching keeps the scores low and gives even the most anemic offenses a good chance to produce enough to win.the 2nd one was the 2008 Offense that was at one point ranked #4 in all of MLB in runs scored. Between Bay, Doumit, McLouth, Bautista and Nady, that Pirates team showcased the most power in a lineup that I've probably seen. The current Pirates lineup has the ability to produce more but until it does, that 2008 lineup DID.Problem with the 2008 team is that despite having awesome offensive support they had terrible pitching. "Anemic" is the word I used to describe the 2011 hitters, Anemic production is a good way to describe the 2008 pitching, since both were near the bottom of the league. That's not to mention the horrific defense the Pirates trotted out in 2008 with Bautista, Bay and McLouth. While offense and great hitting is sexier, scoring is always funner, it's defense that wins you games. Just like talk about in Football and even Hockey. You can have all of the scoring you want but if you can't play defense and stop the other team, the offense won't get you the Wins when you need them, but good Defense will.So I say, use caution when thinking we need more Offense in the system or that it's more valuable than pitching. Remember that pitching prospects tank far easier than hitting prospects and usually you can find some hitting prospects that step up over the years from nowhere. You can never have enough good pitching in your system with the rate that they bust and with the ridiculously high cost of pitchers someone like Paul Maholm is going to fetch $9+ million per year this offseason), drafting and developing your own and having them reach the big leagues is huge for any team
    Okay

Threads : 5

they will be fine

It would be nice if they could get the top 2 picks signed before the last minute. I don't know why, but I am more anxious about it than usual.

Threads : 413

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    You can never have enough good pitching in your system with the rate that they bust and with the ridiculously high cost of pitchers someone like Paul Maholm is going to fetch $9+ million per year this offseason), drafting and developing your own and having them reach the big leagues is huge for any team
    No question pitching is the name of the game, but I disagree about Maholm. How many times has it been stated that he never gets any run support. Would he command $9 mill on the open market? I have no doubts that he would. The Yankees, Red Sox and Rangers would turn him into a big winner. He eats innings, keeps his team in the game and can be relied to take the ball every 5th day. The thing that hurt him in the past was that one bad inning which for the most part he's controlled this year. I still say that our pitching staff was put together with a bunch of rubber bands. Are they as good as they pitched in the first have or as bad as they pitched last year? Probably somewhere in between. I know we've been heavily into drafting pitchers, which is understandable, but we also need some balance with position players which we've not yet done. This team is still in the building process.

Pirates' losing streak reaches eight games after rout by Padres
    Saturday, August 06, 2011
    By Bill Brink, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Surely, Jeff Karstens could pump the brakes.

Karstens, who had a 2.06 ERA in July and had not allowed more than three runs in a game since June 25, had the task of trying to help the Pirates end their losing streak Friday night against the last-place San Diego Padres. Instead, the Padres, the worst-hitting team in the National League, pounded Karstens for nine runs in a 15-5 win against the Pirates at PNC Park.

It was the Pirates' eighth consecutive loss.

The Padres scored their most runs in Pittsburgh, while the Pirates allowed their highest run total this season. The Pirates are eight games back of the Milwaukee Brewers in the National League Central Division and a half-game ahead of fourth-place Cincinnati.

"I just think we're better than what we are, and we're not doing that right now," Karstens said.

Karstens (8-6) lasted his season-low 3 1/3 innings for a start, and the nine runs and nine hits against him were season highs. In sharp contrast, he allowed a total of nine runs in June, a span of 27 innings.

"I made some decent pitches that found holes," he said. "I made bad pitches, and they really crushed them. I wish there was an answer for it, but I can't pitch like that, especially when my team gives me a lead every inning out."

The Pirates, Padres and Chicago Cubs have combined to hit 20 home runs in the five games at PNC Park this week. The opposing team hit 14, or about 20 percent of the Pirates' 73 this season.

"The lack of execution is giving us bad location," manager Clint Hurdle said. "They've come in bunches.

"If you look at every home run that's been hit, going back to Philly, we were finding hot zones."

The previous time the Pirates lost eight consecutive games was June 6-18, 2010, when they lost 12 in a row. They were 23-44 at the end of that stretch and 14 games back in the division.

Aaron Harang earned the win and improved to 10-3, although he was hardly sharp. He allowed four runs on 13 hits in five innings, walking three -- one intentionally ---- and striking out one.

Pedro Alvarez made an error and grounded into three consecutive 4-6-3 double plays, the third ending an inning in which the Pirates had the bases loaded.

"Being aggressive with the ball and being jumpy are two different things," Hurdle said of Alvarez, who had recently made an effort to attack pitches earlier in his at-bats. "[Friday] he got out in front of some things, the top hand became dominant again."

The 15 runs came from a Padres team that ranked last in the National League in runs, home runs and batting average before Friday. The Pirates hit well, too -- the sellout crowd of 37,766 saw both teams get 15 hits -- but the Padres left six men on base compared to the Pirates' 16.

Chase Headley hit his first career grand slam off Karstens in the fourth, and teammates Aaron Cunningham and Kyle Blanks hit their first home runs this season.

The Pirates' bullpen, a strong point so often this year, allowed six runs. Hurdle said the team had considered optioning a reliever to get him some rest and temporarily calling up a fresh arm.

"You want to make sure when you move people, there's a good reason to move them," said Hurdle, noting that the team had met for the past 10 games or so to discuss who was available in relief.

"We got seven innings [from the starter Thursday] night. We're looking to build on that tonight, and we're back in the bullpen in the fourth inning."

Ryan Doumit's solo home run, his first since he returned from the disabled list, gave the Pirates a 4-3 lead in the third.

The Padres got three consecutive hits to start an inning for the second time in the game to trigger their six-run fourth. Will Venable, Blanks and Luis Martinez singled, with Martinez's hit scoring Venable to make it 4-4.

Harang reached first on a fielder's choice and Cameron Maybin singled to load the bases. Karstens walked Jason Bartlett to force home Martinez before Headley cleared the bases when he hit the first pitch to deep center to give the Padres a 9-4 lead. San Diego had not hit a grand slam since Aug. 26, 2010, when Adrian Gonzalez hit one against Arizona.

Headley wound up with 5 RBIs, and Venable and Maybin both went 3 for 5.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11218...#ixzz1UGTAm62c

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information