Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alvarez

Threads : 12

Default Alvarez

The Pirates are 37-26 WITHOUT Pedro Alvarez appearing in the game. They are 17-30 with him in the lineup or makiing an appearance in the game.

When Josh Harrison was in the lineup or appeared in a game the Pirates are 18-12.

Remember how the football experts always talk about how bad the Steelers are when Polamalu doesn't play. Well, maybe Alvarez is having the opposite effect on the Pirates when he plays.

He hasn't done squat this year, and obviously the team can't perform when he is playing, so send him back to Indy and get Harrison back.

Threads : 150
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Alvarez

Is that the same Pedro that hit .375 while getting swept against the Cubs?

Or is it the same one would accounted for 18% of his teams' total hits for the series?

That Pedro?

Yeah he really seems to be the problem.

Look, we get it, you don't like the guy, but to say that he's the reason for our losing, is, to put it bluntly, ****ing stupid. I bet you also complain about how he wears his hat too...

Oh and also, your comparison of him to Troy is ridiculous too. The Steelers defense is somewhat built around what Troy can do on the field (being on the line, his blitzing has to be accounted for by opposing O-lines thus freeing up other blitzers, his speed at getting back into coverage from the line when he doesn't blitz, his closing speed, his coverage skills, etc). In no way is the Pirates built around Pedro. That in and of itself makes the analogy absurd.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Josj Harrison sucks as a #B. He's a singles hitting SS. So if Josh Harrison is such a solution, then put him in, in place of Ronny Cedeno at SS.

It would be foolish, poor management, poor coaching to take out, as Vandy pointed out, a guy who hit .375 during a 4 game sweep.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 138

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Josj Harrison sucks as a #B. He's a singles hitting SS. So if Josh Harrison is such a solution, then put him in, in place of Ronny Cedeno at SS.

It would be foolish, poor management, poor coaching to take out, as Vandy pointed out, a guy who hit .375 during a 4 game sweep.
    Josh Harrison cannot play SS. He can barely play 2B at the ML level on spot duty. There is a reason that a singles hitting midget played primarily 3B and 2B throughout his minor league career: He cannot handle SS.

Regarding the OP...
    Any small linkage between Alvarez and the WL record is purely performance related (Of course WL cannot be attributed solely to one player). He has been surging at the plate lately and the Bucs lost in spite of his improved performance. His performance has been good recently and it would make no sense to remove him now.

There is not some mysterious, metaphysical causation that when Alvarez is in the lineup the Bucs lose.
    Last edited by tocchet92; Aug-05-2011 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tocchet92 View Post
    Josh Harrison cannot play SS. He can barely play 2B at the ML level on spot duty. There is a reason that a singles hitting midget played primarily 3B and 2B throughout his minor league career: He cannot handle SS.

Regarding the OP...
    Any small linkage between Alvarez and the WL record is purely performance related (Of course WL cannot be attributed solely to one player). He has been surging at the plate lately and the Bucs lost in spite of his improved performance. His performance has been good recently and it would make no sense to remove him now.

There is not some mysterious, metaphysical causation that when Alvarez is in the lineup the Bucs lose.
    The point wasn't to really suggest Harrison at SS, but to showcase that he's that type of hitter, not a prototypical 3B hitter.

People will look for anything to find for a cause of the recent losing streak. There's no ONE thing which is what generally happens during losing streaks of this nature. They are caused by too many things not going right when they need to go right

Threads : 31

I like Harrison but only as a utility infielder. He is not a starter and does not project to anything more than he showed in his time here. He's a .275 slap hitting contact hitter who can play 2B and 3B but neither well enough to start. There is a place for guys like Harrison on a major league roster but not as a starting 3B. Alvarez is the future here. I liked hitting him 5th last night with Ludwick and Doumit providing some protection.

Threads : 5
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DBinAL View Post
    The Pirates are 37-26 WITHOUT Pedro Alvarez appearing in the game. They are 17-30 with him in the lineup or makiing an appearance in the game.

When Josh Harrison was in the lineup or appeared in a game the Pirates are 18-12.

Remember how the football experts always talk about how bad the Steelers are when Polamalu doesn't play. Well, maybe Alvarez is having the opposite effect on the Pirates when he plays.

He hasn't done squat this year, and obviously the team can't perform when he is playing, so send him back to Indy and get Harrison back.
    Yessiree, take Pedro's .375 during the Cubs series right out of the lineup. We can build this franchise around Brandon Wood and Josh Hamilton and ride it to the World Series!!!!
    "Work fast, throw strikes, change speeds"--Ray Miller

Threads : 5
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

OOPS, I meant Harrison. How Freudian!!!
    "Work fast, throw strikes, change speeds"--Ray Miller

Threads : 277

Am I the only one who think Pedro has a "deer in headlights" look?

He looks confused, frightened, and almost disinterested--which I am sure he is not.

But, there's no spark or life in those eyes.

I almost feel sorry for him.

He's hitting .417 this month so far. If it's his thing to have a deer caught in the headlights look and hit .417, then I'm cool with that

Threads : 150
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DCBILL View Post
    Am I the only one who think Pedro has a "deer in headlights" look?

He looks confused, frightened, and almost disinterested--which I am sure he is not.

But, there's no spark or life in those eyes.

I almost feel sorry for him.

Did you watch the game last night?

I ask because in the inning we scored all the runs, JOnes ended the inning by flying out to the wall in RF. Later they showed the dugout's reaction as the ball was in the air and eventually caught. Pedro and Cedeno were right there front and center "willing" the ball back (actually visibly on the camera vocally yelling at the ball in flight), then when it was caught they gave the "aww shucks" emotion, but immediately they both had hop in their step and pushed their team vocally again (you could see them giving a quick "let's go") on as they exited the dugout to play D.

I think this entire reading of facial expressions on tv is way way reading into things too much and incorrectly to boot.

Threads : 18

His ears do look pretty funny all tucked up in the cap, though...but I don't think it's serious enough to bench him....

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

after playing ABOVE their heads for well over half the season, they are coming back down to earth now, as to make Pedro the main focus for blame is to blame punxsutawney Phil for a late spring. he is gonna be fine, but just like people were getting carried away with the Buccos being in first place the are now panicking to beat the band during this skid. relax it's part of the process of rebuilding.......which the Pirates STILL are.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 413

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    after playing ABOVE their heads for well over half the season, they are coming back down to earth now, as to make Pedro the main focus for blame is to blame punxsutawney Phil for a late spring. he is gonna be fine, but just like people were getting carried away with the Buccos being in first place the are now panicking to beat the band during this skid. relax it's part of the process of rebuilding.......which the Pirates STILL are.
    I'm not blaming him at all for this slide, er rather dive bomb, back to earth. I simply feel he wasn't ready to be called up. He needed more seasoning. Not only with the bat, but with fielding too. I know some (hello Kip) say that he had nothing to prove by staying down. I take the opposite approach and say he hadn't shown he was ready for the bigs. The FO was desperate to get some talent to the Major level and really had nothing much else to bring up.

It just baffles me how they could play so well and then like turning off a light switch, play so badly.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Threads : 35

This thread may have set a new high in low for Bucco's Talk. Just a brief request that we give a little thought before beating on the keyboard.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information