Thread: Epitaph 2011?

Threads : 138

Default Epitaph 2011?

I found this post linked off of whygavs. Kind of sums up the disappointment....
    Stupid Jerry Meals

"The date was July 25th. The Pirates just defeated the Braves 3-1, and were six games above .500. They were in a tie for first place in the NL Central with the Cardinals. Since then, it's been a disaster for the Pirates. The next night was the infamous Jerry Meals game that the Pirates lost in 19 innings. They lost again the next night. Pittsburgh picked up a 5-2 win over Atlanta on the 28th. They haven't won a game since, getting swept in Philadelphia and losing four straight to the Cubs at home. Saturday was quite possibly the low point of the streak, as the offensively inept San Diego Padres pounded the Pirates for 15 runs, as former NL ERA leader Jeff Karstens allowed nine earned while getting ten outs.....

Today, the Pirates are eight out in the Central, and it's down to a two horse race between the Brewers and Cardinals. Pittsburgh had a cute couple of weeks. But they're not a contender. Not this year, at least."
    http://www.bloguin.com/theoutsidecor...truggling.html

Oh well, we still have Aug 14th/15th to look forward to. That should be fun.

Threads : 43
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Epitaph 2011?

Yeah, that Jerry Meals thing was really bad, but I think a playoff-caliber team would have been able to rebound. They're all young, but maybe in a couple of years....
    "It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God."

Threads : 35

Jerry Meals and his bad call have nothing to do with this. It appears however, that it will be the date on the calendar that marks the beginning of the end. I'm guessing that MLB honchos should not be assigning Jerry to games in Pittsburgh any time soon.

At this point the pennant race hype is behind us (and I admit getting caught up in it) and our beloved Buccos have sunk to their accustomed spot under .500. What we have left is the possibility that the 18 year streak will end. This group can do it but will they? What is you opinion?

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I got caught up in the hype too, all the while knowing that they weren't real contenders for the division. But I loved getting swept away by the Buccos being in first place. There has been tangible improvement this year and it sets up well for next year.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 126
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by carney2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jerry Meals and his bad call have nothing to do with this. It appears however, that it will be the date on the calendar that marks the beginning of the end. I'm guessing that MLB honchos should not be assigning Jerry to games in Pittsburgh any time soon.
    If the Pirates go on to have more losing seasons after this one, it'll just be something people will want to look back on as some kind of curse. Just like Pirate fans talked about the Bream play at homeplate in 92 started the original "curse" on the franchise. Fans just tend to be superstitious. Cubs fans still blame a billy goat for them not winning a world series in a million years now. It's just a funny (not funny haha) coincidence that the team suddenly fell apart after that Jerry Meals fiasco.
    Last edited by BlackNGoldRules; Aug-06-2011 at 02:59 PM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information