Thread: Joe Paterno injured in practice collision

Threads : 691

Default Joe Paterno injured in practice collision

Joe Paterno injured in practice collisionEmailPrintComments114By Adam Rittenberg
    ESPN.com
    Archive Penn State coach Joe Paterno suffered injuries to his right shoulder and hip when a receiver ran into him during practice Sunday.

Paterno

Paterno was "blindsided" by a player running a drill during but "walked away after the collision," according to a statement released Monday by the team.

Paterno sustained at least one hairline fracture, a source told ESPN's Joe Schad. But the 84-year-old coach was not expected to require surgery, said Dr. Wayne Sebastianelli, Penn State's director of athletic medicine.

Paterno was taking notes when receiver Devon Smith, a 5-foot-7, 157-pound junior, ran into the coach.

Paterno walked off the field at the end of practice but was cornered by physicians who insisted he be examined.

"He's come back from worse," the source told Schad.

Paterno conducted a coaches' meeting Monday morning via speaker phone from Mount Nittany Medical Center, where he was undergoing tests.

Big Ten blog
    ESPN.com's Adam Rittenberg writes about all things Big Ten in his conference blog.

Blog network:
    College Football Nation

"I expect to be back at practice soon. I'm doing fine; tell everyone not to worry about me," Paterno said in a prepared statement. "I like the effort I have seen from the squad during our first few practices, but we have a long way to go to get ready for the schedule we have."

Paterno suffered a hip injury in preseason practice in 2008 while demonstrating an onside kick and underwent hip-replacement surgery after the regular season. He also suffered a broken leg and a damaged knee ligament in 2006 when a player ran into him during a game at Wisconsin.

The legendary coach said last month at Big Ten media days that his health is strong and he has been exercising regularly throughout the offseason. He's entering his 46th season as Penn State's coach this fall.

Penn State will reschedule its preseason media day, set for Thursday. Paterno had been scheduled to address reporters.
    http://http://espn.go.com/college-fo...lions-practice
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 126
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Joe Paterno injured in practice collision

Just retire already JoePa! One of these days he's going to get killed on the sideline for God's sake! He's lucky it was a smaller player that ran into him. If that was someone much bigger, who knows how this would have ended up.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I didn't think that the anti-christ was susceptible to mortal injuries ... Lol!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Did he break a hip?

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Joe Paterno injured in practice collision

Hahahahahahahaha
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information