Thread: I Stated This Earlier and Believe It Still: Trade Maholm for Whatever

Threads : 277

Default I Stated This Earlier and Believe It Still: Trade Maholm for Whatever

He'll get through waivers and then trade him to the hihest buidder, since we are not going to sign him for $8-$10 Mil nor should the Pirates since he isn't an "ace.

He's a soft tossing lefty.

Threads : 45
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: I Stated This Earlier and Believe It Still: Trade Maholm for Whatever

Quote Originally Posted by DCBILL View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He'll get through waivers and then trade him to the hihest buidder, since we are not going to sign him for $8-$10 Mil nor should the Pirates since he isn't an "ace.

He's a soft tossing lefty.
    Don't assume he'll get through waivers. Supposedly the Yankees are blocking all sorts of players from getting through and I wouldn't give him away while there are games to be played. I'd pick up his option or negotiate a 2 year deal for 12 mill or so.

Threads : 1817

Default Re: I Stated This Earlier and Believe It Still: Trade Maholm for Whatever

Paul Maholm was never considered the Ace or an Ace, just one of the better pitchers on our staff. That doesn't make a player a true Ace, something I never considered Maholm to be and something his career numbers have ever suggested he was.

However, lefties don't grow on trees, they are harder to find and they cost a little more so I wouldn't assume that the Pirates won't extend him. We lack lefties in AAA ready to make the jump and we likely won't find a better option in FA, nor should we be trading prospect for SP's when we will probably need them for bat help or future Trade Deadline dealings.

I like Indy's 2 for $12. Even if it's slightly more at 2 for $13, he's getting a nice $1-1.5 million per year raise. He's stillo young enough where he'll be tradeable through the length of that contract as well
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 45

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Paul Maholm was never considered the Ace or an Ace, just one of the better pitchers on our staff. That doesn't make a player a true Ace, something I never considered Maholm to be and something his career numbers have ever suggested he was.

However, lefties don't grow on trees, they are harder to find and they cost a little more so I wouldn't assume that the Pirates won't extend him. We lack lefties in AAA ready to make the jump and we likely won't find a better option in FA, nor should we be trading prospect for SP's when we will probably need them for bat help or future Trade Deadline dealings.

I like Indy's 2 for $12. Even if it's slightly more at 2 for $13, he's getting a nice $1-1.5 million per year raise. He's stillo young enough where he'll be tradeable through the length of that contract as well
    He's got a club option 9.75, so I doubt 2 for 12 gets it done, maybe 2 for 14 or so. If nothing else I pick up his option. He's not going anywhere yet.

Threads : 29

I've been saying it for 2 months. Trade high............

Although I seriously doubt he'd clear waivers.

Quote Originally Posted by indybucfan View Post
    He's got a club option 9.75, so I doubt 2 for 12 gets it done, maybe 2 for 14 or so. If nothing else I pick up his option. He's not going anywhere yet.
    2 for $14 is probably closer to the norm. I would guess that he woudl cost more per year on a short term contract than on a longer term contract, but I probably wouldn't be wiling to go long term with him. 3 years would make me cringe a bit but I'd consider it if it got us a lower per year salary

Threads : 277

That still is a lot of money for a third-fifth starter, who is not a consistent winner.

Truly, I'd rather see that money offered to Josh Bell.

Threads : 36

I don't see Maholm accepting less than 16 mill for two years. I would trade him. I would trade him to the Yanks. I think he could be effective there and effective against the red Sox.

Quote Originally Posted by DCBILL View Post
    That still is a lot of money for a third-fifth starter, who is not a consistent winner.

Truly, I'd rather see that money offered to Josh Bell.
    Kevin Correia coming off of a terrible season got $4 million per and is a righty. Ross ohlendorf got $2 million per in Arb. A guy with similar numbers as a righty like Edwin Jackson is making $7 million on a 2 year $12.5 million contract

Pitchers aren't cheap, hence why it is so important to Develop them yourselves. Why when you can draft and develop good pitchers you are hitting the jackpot a little mroe than if you are doing the same with hitters. Easier to find good hitters.

Find me a more affordable option than Paul Maholm. There's not really many unless you go the trade route and then you're giving up prospects for the short term since we will have some pitching help possibly left handed in the next couple of years

Quote Originally Posted by Lup View Post
    I don't see Maholm accepting less than 16 mill for two years. I would trade him. I would trade him to the Yanks. I think he could be effective there and effective against the red Sox.
    It's quite possible that is what the market is for an under 30 year old left handed pitcher with his credentials. Again, we're going to have pay that for another Paul Maholm and more to get a better lefty if one is a available.

I'd retain Maholm, extend him on a 2-3 year contract and then trade him when a lefty is ready in the system and pray that he's having his good year and not his bad year

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

W-L records almost have to be thrown out the window when judging Maholm's starts. How many more wins would his quality starts have provided him if he would've got more run support? He'd be a good fit for a team like Boston who puts alot of runs on the scoreboard...............With the amount of quality starts he puts up, Maholm's value might surprise you. He would do quite well with big guns in MLB.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information