Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The new rules

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default The new rules

With the recent talk and off-season comments, I think it's worthy of noting just what the new rules are and how they are defined when it comes to "illegal hits"... It ain't rocket science boys & girls... Just don't do these things.

The new rules

The NFL's new safety guidelines, approved in May, prohibit "forcibly hitting the neck or head area" of any player. They also prohibit hits against a player in a "defenseless posture," which was redefined as the following:

* A player in the act or just after throwing a pass

* A receiver attempting to catch a pass or one who has not completed a catch and hasn't had time to protect himself or hasn't clearly become a runner

* A runner whose forward progress has been stopped

* A kickoff or punt returner attempting to field a kick in the air

* A player on the ground at the end of a play

* A kicker/punter during a return

* A quarterback any time after a turnover

* A player who receives a blindside block when the blocker is moving toward his own end-line and approaches the opponent from behind or the side

Source: NFL
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 215

Default Re: The new rules

It's gone too far! The games will become 4 hour events and I think many of us will lose interest.
    Remember, that which hath not killed you, will try again...................

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This will be interesting to see enforced. Will that happen on an equitable basis or do we have to wait for Ben to get facial reconstruction before that happens?
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 3263

Quote Originally Posted by War Machine View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This will be interesting to see enforced. Will that happen on an equitable basis or do we have to wait for Ben to get facial reconstruction before that happens?
    I honestly don't expect things to be as bad as many think... But I already see the "interpretation" by different officials being an issue unless there have been set perameters specified that we don't know about.

... I just don't want to hear all the "whining" that was made last year by so many... As I read the new stuff, it's fairly simple IMO.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    In the Act? Is EVERY Quarterback who drops back to throw in the "Act" of throwing a Pass?

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    * A receiver attempting to catch a pass or one who has not completed a catch and hasn't had time to protect himself or hasn't clearly become a runner
    Basically this really redefines the job of a DB. You now HAVE to defense passes by blocking the ball or intercepting it. No more "dislodging" through a flying dutchman I guess. I don't have much of a problem with this since it forces Defensive Backs to perform the intricate job they are supposed to it.

both of these rules do say one thing ..

Throwing the Football is the way to go,. you'd have to be retarded or the Baltimore Ravens to go the running route. I can understand on one side since Flacco blows but the new rules really make it more difficult for the Defense to defend against Passing Situations. Either they are going to allow completions or get penalized most of the time.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 1

So, Ben's pick 6 in the Super Bowl is a penalty against the defense this year?

Quarterbacks will begin throwing passes a bit high forcing the receiver to reach for the ball (attempting to catch a pass) and then protect himself (secure the ball) before he can be hit.

These rules will probably add length to the games. The majority of the revenue of the NFL comes from TV contracts; it will be interesting to see if viewership begins to decline. I already can't watch a football game unless the Steelers are playing. These types of rules will hasten the descent of the game IMO.

Papillon

Thats a good point Pap, about Ben's pick 6. These new rules should also completely eliminate the whole forward progress rule since it's now illegal to touch a QB while they are in the "act" of throwing, unless "act" is defined by something else that a QB does besides throwing the ball.

In the SB, Ben's arm was touched as he threw the ball, so under the new rules, that should be an "act" and would've resulted in NO TD, No INT and a 15 yard roughing the passer penalty for the Steelers

These Rules are going to make Passing teams even tougher to beat and it's really going to be up to Defensive Coordinators to really start changing up some schemes and such to attack teams that should start Spreading out more, throwing from Shotguns, 3 step quick releases etc...

It's going to be very difficult IMO for Defenses opposing good passing attacks. Sure any team can be and gets beaten, has bad weeks etc... but ultimately this is turning into a Passing league and to survive you need a good passing game yourself (preferrably mroe balanced offense to eat time off the clock) and good coverage backs

Threads : 55

Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBONES View Post
    It's gone too far! The games will become 4 hour events and I think many of us will lose interest.
    Ol Rog can pack up his rules and go climb a wall of dicks with his mouth...
    Hidden Content

"PAPPY" 39~10
    ~ICP 010~

Threads : 6
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The NFL's new safety guidelines, approved in May, prohibit "forcibly hitting the neck or head area" of any player. They also prohibit hits against a player in a "defenseless posture," which was redefined as the following:

So what is in the act of? Is it when he sets to throw? When his arm comes back?

I don't exactly agree with this rule. A DB should be allowed to dislodge the ball from the receiver. Obliterate a receiver? I understand wanting to protect receivers. But you can't change the fundamentals of football.

* A runner whose forward progress has been stopped

Tell the **** refs to blow the whistle when the progress has stopped. Otherwise you play to the whistle.

* A kickoff or punt returner attempting to field a kick in the air

Isn't this already a rule?

* A player on the ground at the end of a play

This is how Ray Lewis gets all those tackles

* A kicker/punter during a return

So you're supposed to let the kicker tackle the returner?

* A quarterback any time after a turnover

This is bull****. If the QB doesn't want hit, walk off the field after throwing a pick. If he wants to get his nose dirty and try to make a tackle, he should be fair game.

* A player who receives a blindside block when the blocker is moving toward his own end-line and approaches the opponent from behind or the side

Bull****.

Threads : 6

I think when Jack Lambert talked about putting dresses on them, it was more like prognostication then observation.
    Why dont they just call it ***** rules. Seems like somehow, somebody, got a grudge on our boys.
    It looks like it's gonna be, "Another flag on the Steelers".
    Kick seven colors of **** out of Goodell.
    Viz-id/Vigilancer - Oct-18-2009 02:17 PM View Conversation Report

I retired my silverhawk lance if you wish to use it, you're welcome to it.

Threads : 52
    Sports Logo

can you block the qb. after an INT.?

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

it's gonna be real interesting to see the refs try to interperate the rules this year. gonna be alot of screaming and yelling at the tv.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 91

It's all a ****ing joke!

Last year, Goodell and his underlings made press conference comments saying that "these rules weren't new, they had been on the books for a few years....some players just weren't willing to adhere to them"

BULL ****ING ****!

A couple simple questions:

1. If these rules had been on the books for years, why did they wait until last year to make an issue of them?
    2. Why did the officiating crews struggle to understand how to enforce these rules through the entire 17 week season last year?

Threads : 91

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    These Rules are going to make Passing teams even tougher to beat and it's really going to be up to Defensive Coordinators to really start changing up some schemes and such to attack teams that should start Spreading out more, throwing from Shotguns, 3 step quick releases etc...

It's going to be very difficult IMO for Defenses opposing good passing attacks. Sure any team can be and gets beaten, has bad weeks etc... but ultimately this is turning into a Passing league and to survive you need a good passing game yourself (preferrably mroe balanced offense to eat time off the clock) and good coverage backs
    Bingo!

We are rapidly approaching the day when a defender can not have any contact with a receiver until after a catch and possession are established.

FYI.....The highlight feature doesn't work....it strikes through the selected text.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information