Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dixon Claims He Never Asked The Steelers To Trade Him

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Dixon Claims He Never Asked The Steelers To Trade Him

Dixon says he will never ask Steelers to trade him By Mark Kaboly, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011
    Last updated: 10:10 am

Dennis Dixon said Monday that he never asked the Steelers to trade him, nor will he. However, that doesn't mean the Steelers' reserve quarterback wouldn't welcome a trade with open arms. "It's not that I don't want to (be traded), but I've never (asked for) a trade before," Dixon said. Dixon wants to have a shot to compete for a starting quarterback spot, but he knows that there is not an opportunity in his current situation as the Steelers' No. 3 quarterback behind Ben Roethlisberger. There was a report last week that Dixon's agent, Jeff Sperbeck, asked the Steelers to trade his client. Dixon did not refute that report. "He was kind of frustrated as far as things not going our way during free agency," Dixon said. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0809stdixon-a.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	3002Dixon, 26, was a restricted free agent this past offseason, and the Steelers slapped a modest fifth-round tender on him before the lockout. After shopping himself around the league for a week, Dixon decided to sign the tender to return to the Steelers for a little more than a $1 million. "It is kind of tough to say right now," Dixon said when asked if he wants to be traded. "As long as I have a job, I am happy. I love Pittsburgh to death, but if anything else comes my way, I will be happy as well." Dixon will be an unrestricted free agent next year.

Free agent wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery left St. Vincent College yesterday without a contract. Cotchery, who played for the N.Y. Jets for seven seasons, was the second veteran receiver the Steelers have entertained since arriving at camp. Plaxico Burress visited the Steelers before eventually signing with the Jets. The Steelers would like to add a veteran wideout with Hines Ward to a young group that consists of Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders.

Rashard Mendenhall welcomes as many carries as Mike Tomlin affords him this year, even if he is coming off a year where he had more carries than any other back in the league including the postseason (385). "I feel fine, and I am ready for whatever they want to give me," Mendenhall said. Even though Mendenhall said that pounding never got to him last year, he did add: "stuff adds up after a while." In 31 career starts over a 16-month span including the playoffs, Mendenhall has carried the ball 620 times.

Read more: Dixon says he will never ask Steelers to trade him - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1UYXrZhrn
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 91

Default Re: Dixon Claims He Never Asked The Steelers To Trade Him

"In 31 career starts over a 16-month span including the playoffs, Mendenhall has carried the ball 620 times."

615 of them were to the right

Threads : 30
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

After shopping himself around the league for a week, Dixon decided to sign the tender to return to the Steelers for a little more than a $1 million.
    Yeah, 'cause nobody else wanted him. That's okay. I want him to remain a Steeler, show 'em what he's got, and send that Jaguar/Falcon/Buccaneer playin' Leftwich back where he came from. Don't like that "Statue of Liberty" QB at all!!!

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "In 31 career starts over a 16-month span including the playoffs, Mendenhall has carried the ball 620 times."

615 of them were to the right
    Thats where the strength of our running has been. We ran well to the left last year which really boosted Mendenhall's YPA until Starks got injured and then we ran primarily center and right. with Pouncey and Adams being good run blockers and Kemo pulling as usual and Heath generally lining up on that side to block, it just makes more sense. That's our strength. Likely won't change a ton this year since Jonathan Scott is ***

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post
    Yeah, 'cause nobody else wanted him. That's okay. I want him to remain a Steeler, show 'em what he's got, and send that Jaguar/Falcon/Buccaneer playin' Leftwich back where he came from. Don't like that "Statue of Liberty" QB at all!!!

The only QB Dixon will be out is Batch, because Batch is too old . Batch might not be mobile, but he's a former starter, understands opposing defenses, players and the playbook really well and is a pretty decent passer. Dennis Dixon is Kordell Stewart II . Terrible passer, lacks accuracy, vision and pocket presence and is really only useful running the ball which would be fine if this was Division III college ball.

Kipper isn't a Dixon fan at all. I had to defend this belief all preseason and start of the season until Dixon was exposed as not being good enough to throw the ball when he was given the few chances the coaches trusted him with. He does do a good job handing the ball off I'm not a big fan of inexperienced QB's as 2nd stringers in general unless they are drafted to be a future starter. I'd much rather have an experienced vet in case Ben goes out who has good knowledge of opposing defenses and can do what a QB is supposed to do - throw the ball
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper;195902[B
    ]Thats where the strength of our running has been. We ran well to the left last year which really boosted Mendenhall's YPA until Starks got injured and then we ran primarily center and right. with Pouncey and Adams being good run blockers and Kemo pulling as usual and Heath generally lining up on that side to block, it just makes more sense. That's our strength. Likely won't change a ton this year since Jonathan Scott is ***[/B]

The only QB Dixon will be out is Batch, because Batch is too old . Batch might not be mobile, but he's a former starter, understands opposing defenses, players and the playbook really well and is a pretty decent passer. Dennis Dixon is Kordell Stewart II . Terrible passer, lacks accuracy, vision and pocket presence and is really only useful running the ball which would be fine if this was Division III college ball.

Kipper isn't a Dixon fan at all. I had to defend this belief all preseason and start of the season until Dixon was exposed as not being good enough to throw the ball when he was given the few chances the coaches trusted him with. He does do a good job handing the ball off I'm not a big fan of inexperienced QB's as 2nd stringers in general unless they are drafted to be a future starter. I'd much rather have an experienced vet in case Ben goes out who has good knowledge of opposing defenses and can do what a QB is supposed to do - throw the ball
    All very true but if everybody on the field (i.e. the defense) knows where you're going, I don't care how good your blocking is.

Threads : 49

...But he should've since the Steelers are apparently too blind to see that Dixon has next to no potential as a QB in the NFL.

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by JerryGlanville View Post
    ...But he should've since the Steelers are apparently too blind to see that Dixon has next to no potential as a QB in the NFL.
    Ridiculous. You are on a roll. The Steelers know what he is capable of. They have no need of a future starter right now. They need someone that no one is going to offer more money to. They need a guy that is a half assed QB but has been there long enough to know the system. They don't want to have to use him but if they do they know they can get by and maybe even win the game. They have a vet backup in Lefty. That's the important thing. If you have to start Dixon then they have problems. The whole team is built around Ben. Missing Ben at the start of the season is one thing but losing him at the end you might as well throw in the towel. My point is I don't give a **** who #3 is and I hope they don't pay him much.

Threads : 137
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Dixon is a total non-factor.

The could cut him today with zero impact.
    Write drunk, edit sober - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetchuck View Post

Agree totally but yet we have these huge discussions on here about it. It's kinda silly to me, yet I have a few posts about it myself

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetchuck View Post

Agree totally but yet we have these huge discussions on here about it. It's kinda silly to me, yet I have a few posts about it myself

Threads : 49

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    Ridiculous.
    No, what's ridiculous is thinking Batch and/or Dixon belong on an NFL roster at this point. What was Dixon's numbers last week? 1/10? . Keep giving him more shots! Even Leftwich is a cause for concern. I've said it for a few years, but the Steelers have handled this area of the team very, very poorly. Ben usually goes down for at least a couple games a year. Those games could make or break a season.

No, what's ridiculous is thinking Batch and/or Dixon belong on an NFL roster at this point. What was Dixon's numbers last week? 1/10? . Keep giving him more shots! Even Leftwich is a cause for concern. I've said it for a few years, but the Steelers have handled this area of the team very, very poorly. Ben usually goes down for at least a couple games a year. Those games could make or break a season.
    I might be wrong, I don't have the data in front of me and am too lazy to look it up but I am thinking we have won most of the games that Ben did not start so your opinion of these guys are a bit lower than they should be IMO. Personally I think Lefty is as good as at least a forth of the QBs that actually are starting. Batch is getting old but he is a proven winner and it hasn't be proven that he can't do that job yet. I think back ups can do the job well into their upper 30's just because they don't get beat up like starting athlete's do. Dixon is not accurate at all but it is proven that he can go in and take the snaps and not make a whole lot of mistakes. I have no problem with the guys we have. Go and look at any team in the NFL and their backups. You won't find a much better situation imo.

I'll take Batch. He is a wiley veteran and although his may be aging he does not make stupid mistakes that cost us games. Dixon is simply not smart enough to play QB.

Threads : 413

But as NKy kept telling me, "It's only a pre-season game." They need someone to run the 2nd team and scout teams in practice. Are any of our backup QBs HOF material? Hell no, but they they are capable of managing a game if Ben goes down, and they at least know Arian's system.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like Batch and Dixon over Lefty, but only slightly. To me, ideally, you'd like your backup to be similar in style to your starter so that if he goes down, you don't have to alter the game plan all that much. Lefty has a big arm but moves like an ice wagon with square wheels. Batch and Dixon are more mobile which is a better fit for this team. Dixon can be decent if they game plan to his strengths and not try to make him a pocket passer. We have seen the results of that before between 1997 and 2002.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information