Thread: Tomlin's focus is new guys

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Tomlin's focus is new guys

Steelers coach to focus on rookies' audition
    By Ralph N. Paulk, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Friday, August 12, 2011

More players are competing for jobs and in the case of rookies have had less time to become acclimated with the Steelers' playbook.

Coach Mike Tomlin just wants results, particularly Friday night, as the Steelers open their exhibition season against the Washington Redskins at FedEx Field.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FBNsteel-g.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	3005Tomlin is seeking depth, particularly at running back and on the offensive line, where the Steelers are either thin or vulnerable. That search became magnified with the loss of rookie running back Baron Batch, who said he tore his left ACL late in Thursday's practice.

"We want to see who can block under (game) conditions; run, pass and kick," said Tomlin, who plans to play veteran starters no more than 10 downs, though a lack of execution and cohesiveness could alter his approach. "We don't have any hard-core plans right now in terms of specific things we want to see from people and rep counts."

A year ago, the Steelers had 80 players on the roster heading into the first preseason game. With 90 players in camp this year, Tomlin's staff has to sort through competitive roster battles including at receiver where Hines Ward, Mike Wallace, Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Browns are assured roster spots.

Rookies have found a steeper learning curve than in previous years. The lockout and a long, protracted negotiation for a collective bargaining agreement wiped out offseason minicamps and organized team activities. Yet, Tomlin insisted he won't drastically change how he evaluates players during exhibition games.

"We have a short time in which to do it," Tomlin said. "It'll be telling in some instances what people are capable of or willing to do."

Veteran linebacker James Farrior expects rookies and free agents to get longer looks.

"They are learning on the fly because everything has been condensed," Farrior said. "What you normally do in a few months, they have to do in three weeks.

"Those guys are pretty lost right now, but most of them have handled it pretty well. The veteran players will try to give them all the information they need. I didn't have a clue when I was rookie, but I had time to learn. These guys don't have the time."

Tomlin said those competing for a job won't be evaluated solely on how they perform on the practice field. But he admits it will be difficult to judge their game performances, mostly because they aren't likely to play much with the first unit during the first half of the exhibition season.

"It's all going to be relative because they are going to play against guys in similar circumstances," Tomlin said. "From that standpoint, the playing field will be leveled. There are never many opportunities for rookies to play with veterans in the first preseason game.

"Maurkice Pouncey didn't get with the first unit last year until the second game. We knew almost instantly how credible he was. It's not out of the ordinary for rookies to play with the first wave of terror, if you will, in the first preseason game. We'll use all our evaluation tools to sort them out."

Tomlin hopes to eventually take a long look the team's three top draft picks: defensive end Cameron Heyward, guard Marcus Gilbert and cornerback Curtis Brown. Brown, a third-round pick from Texas, has spent much of training camp pitching footballs on the sideline because of bouts with heat and muscle ailments.
    "(Brown) is going through a learning process, something they all (rookies) will have to go through at some point," Tomlin said. "More than anything, when he's healthy and ready to go, he'll go."

Five players to watch
    Here are players who could catch your eye Friday night:

Baraka Atkins, LB: The former Hurricane is showing signs of being an effective pass rusher.

Chris Carter, LB: James Farrior raves about this fifth-round pick from Fresno State, saying "he's been very impressive all camp."

John Clay, RB: He looks confident. He walks confident. But he needs to shine.

Marcus Gilbert, OT: It's been an up-and-down camp, but he'll have plenty of chances to shine.

Tyler Grisham, WR: He catches everything within reach, but needs solid preseason to grab a roster spot.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Tomlin's focus is new guys

I'm one of the few who love training camp for this reason, I love watching the rookies and rookie free agents to find that diamond in the rough. Anthony Gray is one of them as I see it. For me it's almost like Christmas in August.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm one of the few who love training camp for this reason, I love watching the rookies and rookie free agents to find that diamond in the rough. Anthony Gray is one of them as I see it. For me it's almost like Christmas in August.
    Yea... For me, I like to get a handle on who will be coming into the game situations when there's an injury. Preseason is really the only time to see what the backups can do.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    I fully concur. It's good to see competition for places. Some people are very dismissive of the pre-season schedule, but it's good to see the hopefuls go through their paces. The vets might see it as a bit lightweight, but the uncertain guys probably feel like they're playing for their careers and it's a character test as well as a skill test.

It's a long off-season (dammit, I watched the Shesquawks and King Laserface - that's how desperate I am for football!) and it's good to be back to the season.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by War Machine View Post
    I fully concur. It's good to see competition for places. Some people are very dismissive of the pre-season schedule, but it's good to see the hopefuls go through their paces. The vets might see it as a bit lightweight, but the uncertain guys probably feel like they're playing for their careers and it's a character test as well as a skill test.It's a long off-season (dammit, I watched the Shesquawks and King Laserface - that's how desperate I am for football!) and it's good to be back to the season.
    You know it War, I think quite a few rooks are gonna make the team enough that some fans are going to be shocked at who gets cut.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We love so many of our vets but, someday (sooner in some cases than others) replacement will be necessary, whether it's by retirement or being out-performed. Although this seems to be a loyal and occasionally sentimental organisation, the urge/need to win should still be foremost.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information