Thread: Pirates ticket prices to rise in 2012

Threads : 122

Default Pirates ticket prices to rise in 2012

By Rob Biertempfel, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Friday, August 12, 2011
    Last updated: 10:23 am

MILWAUKEE The Pirates' success on the field this season will mean higher ticket prices next year.

Team officials confirmed to the Tribune-Review that the Pirates intend to raise prices for the 2012 season.

It is expected to be an across-the-board increase, but the team has not finalized the increases for full-season packages, partial plans or single-game tickets.

It would be the Pirates' first major increase in ticket prices in 10 years.

The Pirates surprised fans and analysts this season by climbing into first place in the National League's Central Division in late July. Despite a recent 10-game losing streak, the team has a chance to snap its run of 18 consecutive losing seasons. The Pirates take a 56-60 record into their road series tonight against the division-leading Milwaukee Brewers.

Michael Jackson, director of the graduate sports and recreation administration program at Temple University, is not surprised the Pirates decided to raise prices.

"They've got to do it now," Jackson said. "Adrenaline is flowing. People are so excited about the team. The backlash will not be really strong because of the psychological factor of competition. As long as they're hot, you have to capitalize on it -- but you cannot bust the bank."

The Pirates raised the prices of some tickets by $2 to $5 this season by implementing a day-of-game pricing plan.

For six consecutive seasons, the Pirates have ranked among the five lowest in average ticket price among the 30 major league teams.

According to Team Marketing Report, an online publisher of sports marketing information, the average cost of a Pirates ticket this season is $15.30. That's 43 percent lower than the Major League Baseball average of $26.91 and the third-lowest average price in the majors.

Fans grumbled when the Pirates raised ticket prices for the 2002 season after the team lost 100 games during PNC Park's inaugural season. Then-owner Kevin McClatchy acknowledged the increase was a mistake and rolled back season-ticket prices by $1 a seat.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_751180.html

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pirates ticket prices to rise in 2012

Most of us have said that has soon as the Pirates started to show a turn around and improvement in the W-L column, the Pirates would increase ticket prices. They've been unchanged for a lot of eyars now and haven't been increased at least during Bob Nutting's majority ownership reign.

I can guarantee though, that any increase is still going to make the Pirates ticket one of the more affordable tickets in Baseball still
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 150
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I can see how a lot will be bitter or ****ed about this, but let's face it, they haven't raised prices in 10 years.

I've been a business owner and I've had to raise my prices a few times over that same span. The cost of business goes up. It's as simple as that.

Threads : 197

They've probably missed 3 or 4 cycles of ticket price increases. Even if they're able to maintain this year's attendance increase at increased ticket prices, they're still likely to going to be well into the bottom third of the league in ticket revenues. Digging out of that will be a ridiculously long process. Any bump in the road along the way sets you way back.

Threads : 413

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Most of us have said that has soon as the Pirates started to show a turn around and improvement in the W-L column, the Pirates would increase ticket prices. They've been unchanged for a lot of eyars now and haven't been increased at least during Bob Nutting's majority ownership reign.

I can guarantee though, that any increase is still going to make the Pirates ticket one of the more affordable tickets in Baseball still
    And I can guarantee that it will only fuel the Lemmings even more. Raised the ticket prices but still won't spend money on the team, blah, blah, balh.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Quote Originally Posted by vandelay industries View Post
    I can see how a lot will be bitter or ****ed about this, but let's face it, they haven't raised prices in 10 years.

I've been a business owner and I've had to raise my prices a few times over that same span. The cost of business goes up. It's as simple as that.
    Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    They've probably missed 3 or 4 cycles of ticket price increases. Even if they're able to maintain this year's attendance increase at increased ticket prices, they're still likely to going to be well into the bottom third of the league in ticket revenues. Digging out of that will be a ridiculously long process. Any bump in the road along the way sets you way back.
    That's really it. The Pirates were ina situation where they were so bad that they couldn't raise ticket prices, there was no justification for it but because of that, they ended being far behind a lot of other teams who have raise ticket prices 2-3 times at least during the same 10 year period. I don't know if the Pirates will ever catch up to some or even care to try BUT ultimately it is revenue and the team needs revenue in order to up payroll in the future

Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post
    And I can guarantee that it will only fuel the Lemmings even more. Raised the ticket prices but still won't spend money on the team, blah, blah, balh.
    The uirony is that the Lemmings will probably present a double standard. They'll ***** about the ticket increases despite probably never going to any games and then ***** that we don't spend enough money. They are one in the same.. Increased revenue from increased ticket prices goes towards the possible increase in payroll. PEr the Deadspin leaks we have a max payroll right now of about $55-60 before you start getting into borrowing and loans. Increased attendance this year probably has helped us to more of a low $60's area

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information