Thread: Steelers owner still proponent of grass

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Steelers owner still proponent of grass

Steelers owner Rooney still grass proponent
    By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Saturday, August 13, 2011

LANDOVER, Md. Two days after rookie running back Baron Batch blew out his left knee while practicing on artificial turf, Steelers chairman emeritus Dan Rooney on Friday said he is in favor of sticking with grass at Heinz Field.

The surface always ranks at or near the bottom of the rankings in surveys of NFL players. But the Steelers players have said they like playing on grass, which quarterback Ben Roethlisberger reiterated after Batch tore his ACL at the end of a run Wednesday.

"I think natural grass is a positive from a lot of standpoints," Rooney said.

The surface at Heinz Field gets a lot of use from the Steelers to Pitt to high school championship games, not to mention concerts. The field absorbs enough wear and tear, Rooney said, and there may come a time when it has to be replaced annually.

Rooney said he favors natural grass over turf because he is a traditionalist.

Rooney attended Friday night's game, but soon will return to his day job as U.S. Ambassador to Ireland.

Rooney is scheduled to fly to Ireland Friday night after spending almost the past month in Pittsburgh. Rooney said he plans to return for a Steelers game in September.

Rookie cornerback Curtis Brown and safety Will Allen were game-day scratches, joining six others who earlier had been declared out for the preseason opener. Brown, a third-round draft pick, has been sidelined for much of training camp with an injured hamstring. Allen had been battling an illness earlier in training camp. Cornerbacks Bryant McFadden (hamstring) and Cortez Allen (hamstring), receiver Emmanuel Sanders (foot), left guard Chris Kemoeatu (knee), inside linebacker Mario Harvey (leg) and tight end Eugene Bright (shoulder) already had been ruled out.

Redskins linebacker Keyaron Fox probably dished out more hugs than hits Friday night, but that was to be expected. Fox made rounds on the Steelers' side of the field before the game, chatting up the players who were his teammates last season. Washington linebackers coach Lou Spanos also did his share of catching up. A defensive quality control coach for the Steelers from 1995-2009, Spanos shared laughs with linebackers coach Keith Butler, linebackers James Farrior and Larry Foote and nose tackle Casey Hampton before kickoff.

Running back Evan Royster and nose tackle Chris Neild are among the players with local college ties who are trying to make the Redskins' roster. Royster, Penn State's all-time leading rusher, is battling fellow rookie Roy Helu for a spot in the backfield. Royster, a sixth-round pick, hails from nearby Fairfax, Va. Like Royster, Neild entered Friday night's game third on the depth chart. The West Virginia product was a seventh-round pick in April.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_751444.html
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Steelers owner still proponent of grass

you know, I've always agreed with Rooney about grass. If don't have a permanent roof over your stadium, you should have natural grass. It's softer as far as injuries and it's speed neutral.

Problem is that the Stadium is multipurpose which adds to the argument of not using natural grass becasue it can't withstand the multipurpose use with our colder weather. That's the main problem. not so much Grass vs. artificial as much as it's about needing a surface that can handle all of the wear and tear
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Problem is that the Stadium is multipurpose which adds to the argument of not using natural grass becasue it can't withstand the multipurpose use with our colder weather. That's the main problem. not so much Grass vs. artificial as much as it's about needing a surface that can handle all of the wear and tear

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3777084698_a7ef4bf328.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	3021
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So why doesn't the Burgh build another stadium? Smaller venue and simple clean design. For the Pirates & ?

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
    So why doesn't the Burgh build another stadium? Smaller venue and simple clean design. For the Pirates & ?
    Pirates have PNC Park.... Heinz Field is publically owned, so these things happen. It fits the bill for many things, and I personally think it's a good thing that they happen there. The good outweighs the bad IMO.....

... Besides, another venue for odd events is just simply not economically feasible.....

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well I strongly suspect that the entire Pitt football program and game day enviroment was much better when Pitt had their own true college home field. Yea I am a Penn Stater but I have Pitt pals who are older and have some great memories. I think Pitt deserves their own football field.

PS; with a grass field.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
    Well I strongly suspect that the entire Pitt football program and game day enviroment was much better when Pitt had their own true college home field. Yea I am a Penn Stater but I have Pitt pals who are older and have some great memories. I think Pitt deserves their own football field.

PS; with a grass field.
    I am one that enjoyed a dedicated field for Pitt... Numerous days/mornings of walking "Cardiac Hill" after drinks at Zelda's or other establishments made Saturdays fun for me....

But bottom line... The current situation is what it is, and Pitt will be playing their games at Heinz Field for quite a while... There are other fields around the country that do the same thing, so this is absolutely nothing new... It is also not any sort of abberation that cannot be dealt with. This isn't a unique situation.

Threads : 215

Oh, I thought ya meant the other kind of grass.........
    Remember, that which hath not killed you, will try again...................

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm an advocate of that too......................for medicinal purposes of course
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information