Thread: Pitt quarterback Sunseri leading by example

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Pitt quarterback Sunseri leading by example

Pitt quarterback Sunseri leading by example
    By Jerry DiPaola, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Saturday, August 13, 2011

The voice did not come from the lips of a coach, but it carried the unmistakably firm tone of authority. The entire Pitt offensive unit circled respectfully around the speaker and listened intently.

At the center of the group was quarterback Tino Sunseri, who called a brief meeting Friday during practice after wide receiver Devin Street caught a touchdown pass and brazenly handed the football to cornerback K'Waun Williams.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0813PittSunserFirstJEK-a.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	3030It wasn't the most flagrant example of taunting in football history, but Sunseri wanted to remind players under his command that everyone — offense and defense — is pulling for the same goal.

His message was to ignore the trash talk that became an inevitable by-product of Pitt's first practice in full pads and get on with the business of preparing for the season.

"You hand the ball to the official and get to the sideline," he told the players.

The meeting took less than 20 seconds, and everyone went on to the next drill.

Among the listeners was Pitt quarterbacks coach Todd Dodge, who nodded in approval at the players' respect for their quarterback.

"I have been in this business for 26 years," said Dodge, who led Southlake Carroll (Texas) High School to four state championships, "and I have never had a team that was really, really good that the quarterback wasn't really respected.

"It's those little things that gain respect. You don't get it just because you have quarterback beside your name."

Sunseri, entering his second season as a starter, has seized and embraced a leadership role on offense that he said was previously held by former players Jason Pinkston, Jon Baldwin and Henry Hynoski.

"I felt like with those guys departing that I did enough last year where I could step into the huddle and look people in the face and kind of direct them," he said, "and they are listening."

Dodge said part of the role of a leader involves what he calls "taking the bullet."

"When a mistake happens, (you say), 'Hey, that one is on me,' even if it wasn't his fault. After a while, your teammates know you are a standup guy."

Last year, after throwing an interception, Sunseri might have chastised himself in a loud show of self-deprecation. This year, he walks to the sideline, wraps an arm around a teammate and quietly discusses the situation.

"One thing I wanted to make sure I did — and coach (Todd) Graham and coach Dodge made sure I did - was I never let them see me sweat," Sunseri said. "Make sure you are a stone, you are the face, you are a rock. Whenever the bombs are going off ... they can come up to you and expect you lead them down the field to that next score."

That attitude took root in the offseason when Sunseri led the group in weightlifting, running and pitch/catch workouts.

"That's where I think I really earned their (respect)," Sunseri said. "Making sure they saw me out there. If I wasn't the first one, I was trying to be the first one in every drill, trying to make sure I was lifting and running harder than anybody else.

"They saw me putting in the time and effort. I earned (respect) this summer and it carried over into camp."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1V0t49Noy
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pitt quarterback Sunseri leading by example

Boy you really like to see things like that out of your QB. It's the kind of gesture, backed up by his hard work and preparation, that can set the tone for the season. This new offense really needs Sunseri to take charge and I am glad he is showing the confidence to do so. It makes it easier for his teammates to believe in him when he does.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Boy you really like to see things like that out of your QB. It's the kind of gesture, backed up by his hard work and preparation, that can set the tone for the season. This new offense really needs Sunseri to take charge and I am glad he is showing the confidence to do so. It makes it easier for his teammates to believe in him when he does.
    Yea... I'm sure that the new offense will have it's share of "growing pains" during the 1st year, so the more prepared he is the better off they will be.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I know I can't wait to see the offense, because even through the growing pains, it sure ain't gonna be boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    I know I can't wait to see the offense, because even through the growing pains, it sure ain't gonna be boring.
    Yea, agreed... Me and Kip were just talking about the fact that regardless how well it initially works, it will be entertaining to watch... I'm hoping for the best, but trying to keep a realistic expectation.

2011-2012 FOOTBALL SCHEDULE
    Date Opponent / Event Location Time / Result
    09/03/11 vs. Buffalo Heinz Field 6:00 p.m. ET
    09/10/11 vs. Maine Heinz Field 1:00 p.m. ET
    09/17/11 at Iowa Iowa City, Iowa 12:00 p.m. ET
    09/24/11 vs. Notre Dame Heinz Field TBA
    09/29/11 vs. USF Heinz Field 8:00 p.m. ET
    10/08/11 at Rutgers Piscataway, NJ TBA
    10/15/11 vs. Utah Heinz Field TBA
    10/26/11 vs. Connecticut Heinz Field 8:00 p.m. ET
    11/05/11 vs. Cincinnati Heinz Field TBA
    11/12/11 at Louisville Louisville, KY TBA
    11/25/11 at West Virginia Morgantown, WV TBA
    12/03/11 vs. Syracuse Heinz Field 12:00 p.m. ET

Going on a few assumptions such as, by the third game they have decent grasp of the offense and their conditioning takes hold, I can see them winning 10 games. Worst case scenario, they win 7 games.

It really is an easy schedule... Not to mention that 8 of the 12 are at home....

No kidding, that plays well into the comfort factor of starting a new system.

Threads : 102

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    Last year, after throwing an interception, Sunseri might have chastised himself in a loud show of self-deprecation. This year, he walks to the sideline, wraps an arm around a teammate and quietly discusses the situation.
    Uh...how often has this happened? As I said in another post I remember a ton of underthrown passes from last season sometimes resulting in INT´s. With this new offense underthrown passes just are NOT going to cut it.

Yesterday, while i was on the ****ter, I looked over the schedule and factored in various things (new staff, new system, upsets, surprise teams...etc) and I figured at very best 8 wins. At worst 5. But 6-6 seems likely to me. Still, September 3rd can´t get here quick enough.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information