Thread: Scott can't let Big Ben get clocked

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Scott can't let Big Ben get clocked

Jonathan Scott can't let Big Ben get clocked
    By Sam Farmer
    Los Angeles Times
    August 13, 2011

As the starting left tackle for the Pittsburgh Steelers, Jonathan Scott can say he has $102 million in his back pocket.

A few yards behind his back pocket, that is.

That's where Ben Roethlisberger drops back to pass, and Scott who's on his third franchise in six seasons is the blind-side protector for that $102-million quarterback.

Scott is one of several no-name players around the NFL who are stepping into high-pressure jobs.

From a linebacker in Denver, to a defensive tackle in Green Bay, to big blockers up front in Chicago, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, this is a season when some pivotal players can go from "Who's he?" to "Who's Who."

Start with Scott. He survived a massive cost-cutting purge by the Steelers, who started camp $10 million over the cap and needed to trim the fat. They restructured a slew of contracts, and got rid of some big-name players, among them tackles Max Starks and Flozell Adams.

Scott signed a one-year deal and stuck around, giving him a touch of stability in a career that bounced him from Detroit to Buffalo to Pittsburgh.

It's not like he's coming in cold. First of all, he played under Steelers offensive line coach Sean Kugler with the Lions and Bills. And Scott started nine games for the Steelers last season, logging time at both tackle spots. He started on the left side in the Super Bowl, and, despite his share of rough patches last season, was generally on an upward trajectory.

Kevin Colbert, Pittsburgh's top personnel man, said Scott gained a lot of confidence last season, "But he has to prove that he can go 16 games and be an efficient starter. Whether he will or not, we won't know until 16 games."

A good barometer of how Scott is doing will be Roethlisberger. If the quarterback is upright, that's a good thing. If he's corkscrewed into the turf, well

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...5551963.column
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Scott can't let Big Ben get clocked

Hopefully he is on an upward trajectory, we can't afford anything less from Mr. Scott.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Can we all say a collective "duh" to this article??

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

DUH, title of the article is on the tacky side too.

Threads : 20

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Start with Scott. He survived a massive cost-cutting purge by the Steelers, who started camp $10 million over the cap and needed to trim the fat. They restructured a slew of contracts, and got rid of some big-name players, among them tackles Max Starks and Flozell Adams.
    Does anyone else find it interesting that Fatt Maxx is STILL a FA? Guess he wasn't that fabulous after all.

Here's hoping JScott can trench in and keep Big Ben from becoming part of the pavement.
    buckeyehoppy 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Pick-em' Contest Champion and 2013 Finalist!

Threads : 82

No he wasn't that fab not new news. Someone will take him when they get an injury problem. The Steelers are better off going with some green players. Much cheaper and no drop off if any from Max.

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    No he wasn't that fab not new news. Someone will take him when they get an injury problem. The Steelers are better off going with some green players. Much cheaper and no drop off if any from Max.
    Being in Western PA last week, I got to hear some of the Steelers radio coverage (when I had access to the car radio) and they seemed impressed thus far with Williams (our 6th Rounder). Didn't hear them mention Gilbert, but the little I've had to track on so far has his doing well. Trying to catch up from being off the grid, for the most part, so I'll prolly hear more over the next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyehoppy View Post
    Does anyone else find it interesting that Fatt Maxx is STILL a FA? Guess he wasn't that fabulous after all.Here's hoping JScott can trench in and keep Big Ben from becoming part of the pavement.
    Well, the more he plays, the better he seems to do. I actually think that the line has a good chance to be better this year since A, it's Kugler's second year of working with this group, and B, alot of the backups got playing time and did fairly well. This unit could very well surprise everyone.

Threads : 48

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    Well, the more he plays, the better he seems to do. I actually think that the line has a good chance to be better this year since A, it's Kugler's second year of working with this group, and B, alot of the backups got playing time and did fairly well. This unit could very well surprise everyone.
    Honestly,the OL is one of the areas I'm least worried about.We have far more pressing issues with the secondary and who is going to be our #5 WR.

That last one was for Beez.lol

I'd like to see Greenwood make an impression and a case for making the team but don't feel too confident about that happening. I do have high hopes for Grisham though.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    The only real concern on the OL, ATP, is LT. I'd say JScott needs to build from what he started on last year and make adjustments and improvements. I think he can do it. If he can't, at least what Beezy said about him being cheaper will be true.

The only real concern on the OL, ATP, is LT. I'd say JScott needs to build from what he started on last year and make adjustments and improvements. I think he can do it. If he can't, at least what Beezy said about him being cheaper will be true.
    I hear ya! If he's gonna give ya subpar play at least he is cheaper than the last guy that did

From all that I have heard the team seems pretty happy with Scott. He can't be that much of a drop off from Max. Problem is every year these guys get hurt so you have to look at who is playing when Scott is not. That is scary stuff but they seem to manage.

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    Honestly,the OL is one of the areas I'm least worried about.We have far more pressing issues with the secondary and who is going to be our #5 WR.

That last one was for Beez.lol
    No worries on WR for either of us anymore. Sweed is hurt again. Forget about him. Cotch is impressing people I guess. That is...

1 Wallace
    2 Brown
    3 Cotchery
    4 Ward
    5 Sanders

The secondary yes there are problems. Maybe Lewis can step up. We really need a starting/nickle job being lost and being lost because someone has proved they are better.

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    No worries on WR for either of us anymore. Sweed is hurt again. Forget about him. Cotch is impressing people I guess. That is...

1 Wallace
    2 Brown
    3 Cotchery
    4 Ward
    5 Sanders

The secondary yes there are problems. Maybe Lewis can step up. We really need a starting/nickle job being lost and being lost because someone has proved they are better.
    Something tells me we will be trolling the waiver wire for CB help prior to Game 1. I wish the brain fart trust in the FO would quit missing on their picks at CB. Either that, or a couple of these lame-os need to start stepping the hell up. Not too much to ask, right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information