Thread: GM Ray Shero Says That Sidney Crosby Is Progressing Well

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default GM Ray Shero Says That Sidney Crosby Is Progressing Well

Shero: Crosby Continues to Progress
    Monday, 08.15.2011 / 12:46 PM
    By Michelle Crechiolo

Penguins center Sidney Crosby has been continuing with his usual summer workout routine and is progressing well in his recovery from a concussion he suffered in early January, according to Penguins general manager Ray Shero.

Crosby, who began his summer program of off-ice workouts after meeting with Dr. Michael Collins of UPMC on June 1 and has since added on-ice sessions to his training regimen, will be evaluated again about a week before training camp begins in September to determine his playing status.

I think (Sidney) has progressed really well this summer, Shero said, who talked to Crosby over the weekend. Hes happy with his progress. Training camp is a month away, so theres no expectation for me that he wont be ready or will be ready. Hes doing his usual routine. Hell probably be in a week before camp starts, and well evaluate him then to see how hes doing.

All in all, its been a good summer for him getting back home and really getting back into his workout routines on and off the ice, so well see what the next month brings us for training camp and of course, Oct. 6 for the regular season.

Crosby, who turned 24 on Aug. 7, has been working with his longtime trainer, Andy OBrien, in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

The good news is that (Crosby) continues to work out and has worked out hard this summer," Shero said. "When he went back, he had a progression planned with his trainer, Andy OBrien, that hes gone through. So well see where we are come training camp.

Shero said that Crosby has experienced some occasional symptoms, but emphasized that those are related to how hard the Penguins captain has pushed himself -- which is good news in itself -- and that they are to be expected with an injury like this.

He pushed himself pretty hard this summer, which is the good news, Shero said. Hes never had to get to the point where hes had to shut himself down or anything.

While Crosby is in good spirits and is making positive steps in his progress, Shero also emphasized that the team will not rush the star center in his recovery.

The thing for me and for the organization is the bigger picture with Sidney Crosby, making sure that he is 100 percent cleared and ready to play when he does come back, Shero said. Hes not going to be pushed to come back to practice or play.

I want to make sure a year from now, three years from now, five years from now that hes still the best player in the league and take the appropriate steps and back him, and go from there.

MORE INJURY UPDATES: Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma said that forward Dustin Jeffrey, who was sidelined with a knee injury on March 24, is doing "quite well" in his recovery and may be cleared to begin on-ice workouts today.

"Dustin Jeffrey is going to see the doctor today here in Pittsburgh to be hopefully cleared to skate," Bylsma sad. "Hes doing quite well and is hopefully progressing to the next level today."

Bylsma also said that defenseman Brooks Orpik, who underwent successful lower abdominal/hernia surgery on his right side on July 20, is also doing well.

"Orpik is recovering fine and doing well in that regard," Bylsma said.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=586092&cmpid=pit-twt-pghpenguins
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: GM Ray Shero Says That Sidney Crosby Is Progressing Well

His concussion must have been pretty severe if there is still concern over it, or is it because it is Sidney Crosby?
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Shero said that Crosby has experienced some occasional symptoms, but emphasized that those are related to how hard the Penguins captain has pushed himself -- which is good news in itself -- and that they are to be expected with an injury like this.
    If sid is healthy it's going to be a complete annoyance to the point of it being obnoxious to hear the continuing beat of the drum about Sid's "symptoms". right now it feels like overkill for no purpose to always hear about his symptoms. The fact is that there's been thousands of athletes that have had concussions, some lighter some worse than Crosby's and I don't recall ever seeing this much pampering. If Crosby's "symptoms" are so severe that they feel a need to mention them as reoccuring then Crosby has some sort of health related issue on the side that triggers these symptoms that is a gigantic issue. There shouldn't be this level of concern over a first time concussion that occured 8 months ago

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

They almost seem like they are painting it as the worst concussion ever sustained by a pro athlete. I am a little confused by the part of Shero's statement that he sometimes he suffers symptoms when he pushes himself to hard......what's he doing? Running 40's in a 30 yard room? You're right, if he still has symptoms period, something else is at play here.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They almost seem like they are painting it as the worst concussion ever sustained by a pro athlete. I am a little confused by the part of Shero's statement that he sometimes he suffers symptoms when he pushes himself to hard......what's he doing? Running 40's in a 30 yard room? You're right, if he still has symptoms period, something else is at play here.
    I thought the whole "pushing himself" part was odd myself. I mean, EVERY player pushes themselves in training or else they won't be in good physical shape. Sid has always been the type to push a little harder but he's always been that way and he plays that way. If this is still an issue if he's "pushing hard" then it's going to be one when he plays as well.

I'm sure that Ray and everyone else is just being informative about the concussion stuff since there's no doubt going to be questions asked about it. It just seems a bit much to plant concern at this stage. a simple "he's fine" would be great PR but instead there's this odd continuous planting of "fear"

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Continue to progress is a PC way of saying he still has a ways to go. Don't get your hopes up. He might not be with the team till xmas the way things have been going. Thats ok though. We need him more at the end of the season than the beginning I just dont want to hear the guy is retiring early. Anything but that.

Maybe this is a way to prep the fans for an inevitable statement that Sid won't be game ready until after Christmas.

Naw I think they just don't know. Everyone has been asking for a timetable since this happened. It doesn't work that way. I hate to say it but does anyone get the feeling that this is his achilles? Just like Mario had his. I hope not but dang.

Threads : 0

The Pens are saying all the right things. He should not be back in game action until he is 100%. If that means missing part of this upcoming season, so be it. Concussion problems are prevalent throughout the league. Peter Mueller in Colorado, David Perron in St. Louis, Lombardi in Toronto have all missed basically an entire season. If that's what it takes to get Sid healthy, everyone should be behind that 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by DREADS613 View Post
    The Pens are saying all the right things. He should not be back in game action until he is 100%. If that means missing part of this upcoming season, so be it. Concussion problems are prevalent throughout the league. Peter Mueller in Colorado, David Perron in St. Louis, Lombardi in Toronto have all missed basically an entire season. If that's what it takes to get Sid healthy, everyone should be behind that 100%.
    I totally agree, no way do you sacrifice what could amount to his career to get him on the ice for opening night, if he ain't ready. He should not play until he is absolutely symptom free.

My approach to this is = I can't do a ****in thing about it. I mean, you could ***** but there will be enough of that, Im not going to join in. If thats the way its going to be then let Malkin lead this team for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    My approach to this is = I can't do a ****in thing about it. I mean, you could ***** but there will be enough of that, Im not going to join in. If thats the way its going to be then let Malkin lead this team for a while.
    I completely agree, Malkin is capable of filling the leaders Shoe's for as long as needed.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information