Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jose Tabata On His Way To Joining Pirates, Presley Is Rehabbing in Indy

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Jose Tabata On His Way To Joining Pirates, Presley Is Rehabbing in Indy

Tabata on his way to Pittsburgh
    August 15, 2011 Jenifer Langosch
    Jenifer Langosch/MLB.com

Jose Tabata has left the Triple-A Indianapolis club to return to Pittsburgh, and he is expected to be activated off the disabled list when he arrives. The Pirates have not yet made the roster move.

Tabata has been on the DL with a left quad strain since late June. He played in nine rehab games with Indianapolis and had 11 hits in 33 at-bats. Six of Tabata’s hits went for extra bases.

The Pirates are likely to send to down either Steve Pearce or Pedro Alvarez upon Tabata’s arrival. Both have struggled mightily since returning from their own DL stints. Neither is in Monday’s starting lineup, which was just posted a few minutes ago.

Chase d’Arnaud and Alex Presley, both of whom are playing in rehab games with Indianapolis, remain with the Triple-A club for the time being.

Follow me on Twitter: @LangoschMLB]

http://bucsbits.mlblogs.com/2011/08/15/tabata-on-his-way-to-pittsburgh/
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 215

Default Re: Jose Tabata On His Way To Joining Pirates, Presley Is Rehabbing in Indy

Chase d’Arnaud can wait for a year or September and Alex Presley needs to play everyday, in the bigs or AAA, which ever works for the team.
    Remember, that which hath not killed you, will try again...................

Threads : 691

Default Re: Jose Tabata On His Way To Joining Pirates, Presley Is Rehabbing in Indy

Steve Pearce should be released immediately.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Pearce has shown some bright spots. How does Paul fit in this?

Threads : 45

Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBONES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think a roster spot will come down to Paul or Diaz before too long. I'd prefer Paul even if it means eating Diaz' 2 mill next year.

Jose Tabata (quad) will not be activated Monday.

Tabata has arrived back in Pittsburgh and would seem to be recovered from the strained left quad that he suffered in late June, but the Bucs want to seem him run first before allowing him back in the major leauge lineup. He should be activated on Tuesday.

Source: Jenifer Langosch on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    Steve Pearce should be released immediately.
    Amen

Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBONES View Post
    Pearce is and has been an overrated player. Hopefully now, the hype is gone and we can move on from this one position, can only hit lefties player. We need more versatility from the IF bench IMO than a guy who really can only play 1B (I cringe seeing him play 3B)

Quote Originally Posted by indybucfan View Post
    I think a roster spot will come down to Paul or Diaz before too long. I'd prefer Paul even if it means eating Diaz' 2 mill next year.
    Paul has the speed to play all 3 Outfield positions and also hit Leadoff in case of injury to well... at this point, any outfielder . I think he's a more valuable bench piece as well

Threads : 2
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I most certainly am not going to argue about Pearce and his future MLB carreer. But that's another story.

It's going to be a tough decision, in my opinion, as to what happens when Tabata comes back. There's a pretty good argument I think for keeping either Paul or Diaz, but it's not necessarily all on field related.

Definately Paul is the more versatile player who can fill in all three outfield positions in addition to being the more logical leadoff hitter when he's in the lineup. Bringing in Ludwig who is essentially a slightly younger version of Diaz should make Diaz the odd man out.

But, Diaz is one of the few veterans who has played on some good teams and has been in some good clubhouses. For a team this young, experience matters. Leadership matters. And for what it's worth, wasn't it Diaz who called that players only meeting a few weeks ago? Right now, we have very few players on this team who can do that. That's almost as important in keeping a team together than what you bring to the field everyday. Remember Ludwig won't be around next spring training, Diaz will. Is there someone on the team right now that come spring training will take the team under it's wing and step up and be the one who will hold the rest of the team accountable? So yeah, Matt Diaz really will be nothing more than a pinch hitter and rare starter. But that may not be as important for the rest of the year as what he brings in the clubhouse.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Pearce definitely has to go, there is no doubt about that. He hits great for two weeks then gets injured and is out for months and then sucks the rest of that year. If the Pirates were still in contention then maybe I go with Diaz, but since they are basically playing to set up for next year, I would go with Paul behind Tabata. The real question is what happens when Presley is ready? That's when it gets real interesting. Do they part company with Ludwick if he ain't gonna be there next year? I wouldn't be against it if he isn't part of the future. Either way, alot of decisions have to be made in a short amount of of time.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 21

Aleverez needs to go down and prove he belongs. Playing everyday and forced to go to winter balll to get into shape. Wood and Harrison can hold down the fort for the rest of the season.

Pearce and Diaz are both done here but pearce can fill in at 1st so he stays. Diaz goes when Presley is ready.

Threads : 24

Is Pearce out of options? He has had bad luck with injuries and then a dificult time breaking back in with the ML team on two different occasions. Is that a fair evaluation? He looked good until he got hurt this year.

Diaz has been a bust. He's a popular player in the clubouse and is signed for two years, so it would seem to limit the Pirates options with him, or does it?

Pedro has one more option. Would you use it this late in the season? Would it help his overall development to finish the season at Indy?

Surely you don't DFA Ludwig, do you? He actually might be in the mix for next year. He's better than any other free agent bat the Pirates have gotten in recent years.

A move is prolly coming, maybe even today.

Threads : 45

Quote Originally Posted by buccoman View Post
    Is Pearce out of options? He has had bad luck with injuries and then a dificult time breaking back in with the ML team on two different occasions. Is that a fair evaluation? He looked good until he got hurt this year.

Diaz has been a bust. He's a popular player in the clubouse and is signed for two years, so it would seem to limit the Pirates options with him, or does it?

Pedro has one more option. Would you use it this late in the season? Would it help his overall development to finish the season at Indy?

Surely you don't DFA Ludwig, do you? He actually might be in the mix for next year. He's better than any other free agent bat the Pirates have gotten in recent years.

A move is prolly coming, maybe even today.
    If it's me, I don't use Pedro's last option this year. I keep him here with the thought that if he doesn't show signs of getting it, he'll spend next year at AAA figuring it out. If he had 2 options, I'd send him down now.

Pearce does have one option remaining, so I would send him down with one move when Tabata is activated. I'd send Harrison down for d'Arnaud. The trick is going to be getting Presley activated. It will more than likely come down to Paul and Diaz. I'd keep Paul.
    Last edited by indybucfan; Aug-16-2011 at 01:59 PM.

Threads : 66
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

From the Trib:

The Pirates have sent struggling third baseman Pedro Alvarez to Triple-A
    Indianapolis and activated outfielder Jose Tabata from the 15-day disabled
    list.

Alvarez is batting .174 (12 for 69) in 20 games since being recalled from
    Indy on July 25. He was hitless in his past 12 at-bats.

Tabata has been sidelined since suffering a left quad strain in the game
    against Boston on June 26. He hit .333 with six doubles in nine games with
    Triple-A Indianapolis.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeFoo View Post
    From the Trib:

The Pirates have sent struggling third baseman Pedro Alvarez to Triple-A
    Indianapolis and activated outfielder Jose Tabata from the 15-day disabled
    list.

Alvarez is batting .174 (12 for 69) in 20 games since being recalled from
    Indy on July 25. He was hitless in his past 12 at-bats.

Tabata has been sidelined since suffering a left quad strain in the game
    against Boston on June 26. He hit .333 with six doubles in nine games with
    Triple-A Indianapolis.
    Looks like the right move to me.

Threads : 413

This was a good move this year because he can be recalled when the rosters expand in Sept. However, if this is his last option, it will be quite some time before we see him in Pgh again on a permanent basis. Next time there better be no doubt that he's ready.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information