Thread: Q&A: Hines Ward

Threads : 21

Default Q&A: Hines Ward

Hines Ward, wide receiver, Pittsburgh Steelers

Q: Could you take anything from the preseason opener?

A: Preseasonís preseason. You want to go out there and play well but Iím just looking forward to Baltimore. I want to continue to get better each day I step on the practice field and go down to Baltimore for an all-out war.

Q: How long have you been thinking about that?

A: Since the schedule came out. They would schedule us in Baltimore the first game. Itíll be an exciting way to start the season off. Itís a divisional game so itís very important for us. I know their fans are going to be hyped up for the game. I call it the Lionís Den. When you go down there, thereís just a mob of fans who hate the Pittsburgh Steelers. What better way than to try to go down there and start their season the wrong way with a loss. Itís going to be an exciting game.

Q: Are you preparing for it mentally?

A: Itís all I think about. Preseasonís good but my mindís focused on one team and thatís Baltimore.

Q: Are they the main competition again?

A: Theyíre always the competition. Every year itís going to come down to Baltimore and us in the AFC North. When you play Baltimore, you get in the weight room a little longer; you stay a little extra after practice because you know itís going to be a physical ball game.

Q: Have you checked free agency? Are they better? Worse?

A: Ah, I donít bother. No matter what type of team you go out and get you still have to come together and mesh as a team and have that team chemistry, so I donít get caught up in some of the free agents that they signed or the rookies that they drafted.

Q: But they threw away their clutch 35-year-old receiver. You donít do that, do you?

A: And they got rid of Todd Heap. Some organizations, you know, they feel they have to go young. I think we do a great job of mixing our veteran guys, myself, James Farrior, Aaron Smith, but weíve got a nucleus of young guys who are just waiting to get their opportunity. You have to learn from the veteran guys to know what it takes year in and year out, and I think once they develop that Ė I think we have a great rapport of how we do things around here. When you lose a [Derrick] Mason or a Heap, that does a lot to the locker room because those guys are your emotional leaders out there. Now, all the pressure comes on [Joe] Flacco probably because heís the only veteran guy they probably still have there.

Q: Is everybody else thinking Baltimore or just you?

A: I donít know about everybody else. I know Iím always thinking about it, every chance I get. I watched the Baltimore game (against the Eagles) in the preseason just because of the fact theyíre Baltimore. Iím studying the new corner; looks like a pretty good talent. Iím worrying about Baltimore.

Q: What did you think of the Dream Team while you were watching? Or were you just watching Baltimore?

A: Just looking at Baltimore (laughs). Just looking at Baltimore.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Q&A: Hines Ward

That's why Hines is who he is as a football player, his intensity level is set on Baltimore already.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 30
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So Ryan Clark doesn't think that Baltimore is a rival, but Hines obviously does. I agree with Hines.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Baltimore not a rival? That's just crazy talk Ryan. Sept 11th aught to bring it all back into focus for ya.

Threads : 30
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, I think there was an article on here where Ryan Clark said Baltimore wasn't a rival unless both teams started winning equally or some such thing. I don't remember exactly what the situation was (maybe a Raven's player talking smack or something), but it's late, I just arrived home from work, and I'm too tired too go back and look.

I seem to also recall Ryan, on the fan morning show, saying it wasn't a rivalry when he was asked about Woodley tweeting that Flacco will never win a Super Bowl as long as they have to go through the Steelers. He did say that he doesn't really consider them a rival because the Ravens are unable to beat Ben. Sounds like a veiled shot at Baltimore if you ask me. He dismissed them.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information