Thread: Short term fixes for 2012 on Bucco Budget

Threads : 11

Default Short term fixes for 2012 on Bucco Budget

Pedro's lack of development has really put the screws to the plan. I've been looking at stop gap moves if he still stinks at beginning of 2012. He really sets off a chain of "What ifs" by him not being ready. I looked with "Pirate Eyes" to see whats available so here we go:

The outfield is set:
    McCutchen
    Tabata
    Pressley

Second base set with Walker

Short??? Do we stay with Cedano / Wood
    Shortstops to look at:
    Yuniesky Betancourt MIL = Better than what we have
    Alex Gonzalez ATL = Better than what we have

Third Basemen
    With Huntington dollars
    Eric Chavez NYY
    Edwin Encarnacion TOR

The man, but would cost!
    Aramis Ramirez CHC

Catchers
    Ryan Doumit PIT = RESIGN! Someone may take a flier on him if he hits and stays healthy rest of 2011.

Ramon Hernandez CIN = Best value back up plan if Nomitt leaves.
    The One and Only!!!!!!

Threads : 158
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Short term fixes for 2012 on Bucco Budget

I still think we are fine at SS with Cedeno. He plays above-average defense with a solid .250 average and some gap power.

Next year at C we'll have Doumit/McKenry.

The big Offseason move will be at 1B and I do think they will decline Maholm's option and pick up a Kevin Correia-type to compete with Correia, Morton, Ohlendorff, Karstens, McDonald, and Lincoln.

Threads : 413

Quote Originally Posted by wvkeeper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I still think we are fine at SS with Cedeno. He plays above-average defense with a solid .250 average and some gap power.

The big Offseason move will be at 1B and I do think they will decline Maholm's option and pick up a Kevin Correia-type to compete with Correia, Morton, Ohlendorff, Karstens, McDonald, and Lincoln.
    I agree on Cedeno. It is a position that could be upgraded, but I think there are other priorities.

The Bucs MUST pick up Maholm's option. You simply can't just let him go for nothing. Maybe trade him (and probably have to pick up some of his salary) or resign him to a longer term contract, which is more friendly and most likely makes him more attractive in a trade.

Complain all you want about him, but his ERA is 3.60 going into last night's game. He eats innings, very rarely misses a turn, is left-handed. I'm not holding my breath waiting for him to throw a no-no, but until the Coles and Taillons and Allies and Heredias in the organization are ready, I can't see that much about Maholm to complain about.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Threads : 158

I don't disagree with you on Maholm, but I do think they will just decline his option and then maybe try and re-sign, but not try very hard.

Threads : 45

Even if you let Cedeno go, you still have d'Arnaud, Mercer and Wood. Wilson Betemit would be a cheaper option at third with a little bit of pop, but Ramirez is the preferable free agent option. He makes 16 mill now and he'll have enough options where he won't have to take much of a pay cut if at all. If they signed a Ramirez, I'd be inclined to Garrett Jones a year at first and maybe bring up Hague as a right handed option. Unfortunately his splits don't suggest he's gonna hit lefties much.

Threads : 66
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm a Jordy Mercer fan, but not sure if he is ready. I like the idea of keeping Cedeno.

At 3rd, if Pedro isn't ready, I see JHay/d'Arnaud/Wood doing what they did this year. Can't see them signing someone for (maybe) one year while Pedro develops.

As for Maholm, his biggest plus is that he is an innings eater. Its up to NH to decide how much (or if) that quality is worth.

Threads : 138

Quote Originally Posted by indybucfan View Post
    Even if you let Cedeno go, you still have d'Arnaud, Mercer and Wood
    After Cedeno, the only other guy in the Pirate org who could possibly play SS on a regular basis at the ML level next season is Pedro Ciraco.

Wood is capable of spot duty at SS there but would be exposed as a regular there. IMO, D'Arnaud has no range. He makes every play look difficult - seems like he needs to dive for every ground ball. D'Arnaud's bat deson't play anywhere else. A lot of fans were high on D'Arnaud but I don't see any place for a guy like this on an ML roster. Mercer presumably is inferior to D'Arnaud at SS since they were both drafted out of college the same year and D'Arnaud has always been a step a head of him. However, Mercer hits for power and is still a solid prospect, IMO, although not as an everyday SS at the ML level.

When he's not a space cadet, Cedeno is a solid ML SS. He is under appreciated by Pirates fans.

Threads : 1817

Quote Originally Posted by wvkeeper View Post

Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post
    I agree on Cedeno. It is a position that could be upgraded, but I think there are other priorities.

The Bucs MUST pick up Maholm's option. You simply can't just let him go for nothing. Maybe trade him (and probably have to pick up some of his salary) or resign him to a longer term contract, which is more friendly and most likely makes him more attractive in a trade.

Complain all you want about him, but his ERA is 3.60 going into last night's game. He eats innings, very rarely misses a turn, is left-handed. I'm not holding my breath waiting for him to throw a no-no, but until the Coles and Taillons and Allies and Heredias in the organization are ready, I can't see that much about Maholm to complain about.
    Quote Originally Posted by indybucfan View Post
    Even if you let Cedeno go, you still have d'Arnaud, Mercer and Wood. Wilson Betemit would be a cheaper option at third with a little bit of pop, but Ramirez is the preferable free agent option. He makes 16 mill now and he'll have enough options where he won't have to take much of a pay cut if at all. If they signed a Ramirez, I'd be inclined to Garrett Jones a year at first and maybe bring up Hague as a right handed option. Unfortunately his splits don't suggest he's gonna hit lefties much.
    I'd be curious to know what the Organization thinks of d'Arnaud defensively. Baseball America had written originally that he lacked the range to play SS long term and was probably better at 2B. Obviously we can't have that.

Wood is said to have questionable range at 3B but has an above average arm, quick feet and hands. There's an allure to Wood because you see the monstrous numbers he put up in the Minors and they weren't fluke numbers either. He was pounding balls in pitcher friendly parks. I don't remember who said it, but I read somewhere at one point that Brandon Wood is like Chad Hermansen on crack. Hermansen was supposed to be one of the best power hitters drafted and Wood was beyond Hermansen. it just hasn't shown up at the MLB level but you just want to imagine the possibilities if you could fix Brandon Wood, what we could have at SS.

I would certainly keep Wood as a bench guy since there's an allure to his potential

Mercer has the range, the arm and the bat. He was that type drafted more for offense than defense but i wanna say Baseball America ranked his range as being above average. He's got an arm, kid was a Closer in college

So, yeah we do have options, if we let Cedeno go. I think Huntington was hoping to squeeze more offensive production out of Cedeno and get more consistent defense, the ol' "potential" tag, but it's not happened. Cedeno has been consistently consistent and we've seen over 2.5 years of starting what Cedeno really is. He's a .255ish hitter with decent gap, a peak of about 10 homers that has issues drawing walks with a dr.jekyl and mr.hyde approach to playing SS. Can make great plays, can drift off into La La Land, goes a bit conservative when needing to make a quick decision often times. Cedeno is always going to be an option cuz he's a cheap one at that but if hutnington was expecting more and from the sounds of his interviews about cedeno, he always talks about more potential than Cedeno's production has shown, then Huntington could move on
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 1817

Quote Originally Posted by LeeFoo View Post
    I'm a Jordy Mercer fan, but not sure if he is ready. I like the idea of keeping Cedeno.

At 3rd, if Pedro isn't ready, I see JHay/d'Arnaud/Wood doing what they did this year. Can't see them signing someone for (maybe) one year while Pedro develops.

As for Maholm, his biggest plus is that he is an innings eater. Its up to NH to decide how much (or if) that quality is worth.
    Yeah, there's no way way the Pirates are signing a 3B this season unless we walk into a nice 1-2 year deal since those can be flipped at the trade deadline
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 45

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    I'd be curious to know what the Organization thinks of d'Arnaud defensively. Baseball America had written originally that he lacked the range to play SS long term and was probably better at 2B. Obviously we can't have that.

Wood is said to have questionable range at 3B but has an above average arm, quick feet and hands. There's an allure to Wood because you see the monstrous numbers he put up in the Minors and they weren't fluke numbers either. He was pounding balls in pitcher friendly parks. I don't remember who said it, but I read somewhere at one point that Brandon Wood is like Chad Hermansen on crack. Hermansen was supposed to be one of the best power hitters drafted and Wood was beyond Hermansen. it just hasn't shown up at the MLB level but you just want to imagine the possibilities if you could fix Brandon Wood, what we could have at SS.

I would certainly keep Wood as a bench guy since there's an allure to his potential

Mercer has the range, the arm and the bat. He was that type drafted more for offense than defense but i wanna say Baseball America ranked his range as being above average. He's got an arm, kid was a Closer in college

So, yeah we do have options, if we let Cedeno go. I think Huntington was hoping to squeeze more offensive production out of Cedeno and get more consistent defense, the ol' "potential" tag, but it's not happened. Cedeno has been consistently consistent and we've seen over 2.5 years of starting what Cedeno really is. He's a .255ish hitter with decent gap, a peak of about 10 homers that has issues drawing walks with a dr.jekyl and mr.hyde approach to playing SS. Can make great plays, can drift off into La La Land, goes a bit conservative when needing to make a quick decision often times. Cedeno is always going to be an option cuz he's a cheap one at that but if hutnington was expecting more and from the sounds of his interviews about cedeno, he always talks about more potential than Cedeno's production has shown, then Huntington could move on
    I waited and waited for Wood to get out of LA and figured the Pirates would take a flier on him. That said, I'm skeptical at best, about his ability to play short on a daily basis. I know PFV said on a couple of occasions that he thought Mercer was better than d'Arnaud. Obviously, to this point, the Pirates don't agree. They came out of college the same year and d'Arnaud seems to have the upper hand. I wasn't terribly impressed with his debut, but that was a small sample and he should get better the more he plays. If they did nothing from outside the organization, I could live with Cedeno and the others for another year. I feel a legit #4 hitter is the most important need and all the other needs are secondary.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would put Wood at first base to start spring training because it seems the more he plays, the better his bat gets. Doumit and The Fort are the catchers, walker at second, Pedro/d'arnaud at third, Cedeno at SS. Jones/Tabata in RF Cutch in CF Presley/Paul in LF.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information