Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Ben that Quarterback ?

Threads : 60

Default Is Ben that Quarterback ?

Is Ben that type of quarterback that can make the big pass to the fast receivers ?

I really don't recall one of Bens talents of him throwing a deep ball/rainbow pass to a receiver streaking down the field. You have Wallace, Sanders and Brown that I feel can make distance away from the defenders but, I'm not sure Bens talents are getting them the ball in stride.

I'm a huge Ben fan so it's not that I'm attacking him, just a question I am putting out here.

We know he's probably one of the best passers on the run and making a quick strike but I am not sold that he can sit back there and just unload and hit his target.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Is Ben that Quarterback ?

Ben's entire game is buolt on throwing down field. The better question wkouod be to ask if Ben can throw check downs, quick slants and out of 3 step drops. THAT is a part of his game, the pocket passer part that he's really not.

Throwing downfield, hitting streaking recievers... that's Ben Roethlisberger. He doesn't have the greatest arm strength, but we're not talking about 50 yard bombs most times either. Most passes of depth go 20-30 and the rest is Yards After Catch.

So, YES, Ben obviously judging by Wallace's success, Santonio's Success, can hit faster WR's deep.

throwing to RB's, hitting quick slants, getting rid of balls on 3 step drops in the pocket, 2-3 second releases from shot gun... not Ben's style or strength. As he gets older and the body tells him he can't run as much, he will become more of a pocket passer. McNair, McNabb, Elway etc... they are morphed into pocket passes later in their careers
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The second game against the Browns last year started pretty well with that long, high pass to Wallace.

I think Ben can be that QB, but that he needs an OC to challenge and drive him.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by War Machine View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The second game against the Browns last year started pretty well with that long, high pass to Wallace.

I think Ben can be that QB, but that he needs an OC to challenge and drive him.
    Ben needs an OC that is better strategically in the red zone. Outside of the Red Zone, I love our offense.

Which brings up the part about "challenging Ben" and I have felt for a little while now, that our Red zone offense needs to shorten up and become more efficient in the red Zone and it still either operates like a deep ball Offense or it gets too cute.

hitting quick slants, TE's short, running backs out of the backfield etc.. are things we simply don't do enough in the red zone. I look at efficent red zone offenses like New England, Green Bay, New Orleans. None of them even have the running game that we have but they are shorten up their games int he red zone. Brady will dink the hell out of you. Watson was a crummy TE until they hit the Red Zone but the guy would free himself up for 2 yards and get passes thrown and get TD's. Wes Welker, 3-5 yard dinks, RB's, always uses their RB's out of the backfield in the red zone.

That is stuff that needs built more into our offense in the red zone and used more. It keeps teams off balance and gives us a lot more options. The Steelers just seems to lack the adjustment in the Red Zone. Change up the offense and shorten it. you have to shorten your offense, it's a shortened field
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 91

It's always been my contention that Ben is dumber than dirt in some ways (we're all too familiar) and has the best "game smarts" I've ever seen.

I think the guy just has instinctive reactions on the field and if used properly he could be even better than he is. He is just too dumb to know how dumb Arians really is.

Threads : 2
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    It's always been my contention that Ben is dumber than dirt in some ways (we're all too familiar) and has the best "game smarts" I've ever seen.

I think the guy just has instinctive reactions on the field and if used properly he could be even better than he is. He is just too dumb to know how dumb Arians really is.
    They said the same thing about Bradshaw.

Bradshaw called his own plays.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ben is a very smart guy. His biggest problem has been his immature and arrogant behavior off the field. As he matures it will carry over into his game and we will really see him improve his all around game. Being dumb has never been his problem.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 413

After watching last nights game (which I'm reminded was only a preseason game), the answer to this thread's question is a resounding YES.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Threads : 22

One of the things I always consider when this topic comes up is also - do we have the receivers who can adjust to the pass in the air.

I was watching a NE game once, and when the replay was shown, you could see how the receiver changed their pace to adjust to the ball. It wasn't all on Brady making this perfect throw.

I think too many times we like to think the other QB's in the league are always perfect passers, yet, they also get a lot of receiver help with those deep balls with on-the-fly adjustments.

Threads : 91

Quote Originally Posted by moneytalks View Post
    One of the things I always consider when this topic comes up is also - do we have the receivers who can adjust to the pass in the air.

I was watching a NE game once, and when the replay was shown, you could see how the receiver changed their pace to adjust to the ball. It wasn't all on Brady making this perfect throw.

I think too many times we like to think the other QB's in the league are always perfect passers, yet, they also get a lot of receiver help with those deep balls with on-the-fly adjustments.
    Good point.............and as much as we hate him, that's a sign of Billicheat running a tight ship.

Threads : 60

How many thought as I did last night after seeing Ben get hit low that, Ben will be chum again this season to the defenses without, the refs throwing many flags if any at all ?

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Maybe the Steelers need more of a hockey mentality. Hit our QB dirty and guess what. We will gladly accept a penalty and even fines. Just to smack the heck out of your QB right back. Make it an expectation.

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
    Maybe the Steelers need more of a hockey mentality. Hit our QB dirty and guess what. We will gladly accept a penalty and even fines. Just to smack the heck out of your QB right back. Make it an expectation.
    That's not the kind of team that Tomlin runs.This isn't the Jets or Ravens.....

Threads : 49

Quote Originally Posted by moneytalks View Post
    True, but let's not make excuses for Ben's deep ball. It isn't very good. Ben, to this day, continues to struggle with the deep ball which is inexcusable given his talent and how long he's been in the NFL. Further proof that he isn't being coached very well and is just relying on raw talent. His deep ball is generally thrown way too late and as a result the WR normally has to wait for the ball.

Brady, as much as I despise him, clearly works at his craft. When he came into the league he was purely a short passing QB. Over the last few years he has become a great deep passing QB. I've seen a number of passes from him downfield that are pretty much perfect.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by JerryGlanville View Post
    True, but let's not make excuses for Ben's deep ball. It isn't very good. Ben, to this day, continues to struggle with the deep ball which is inexcusable given his talent and how long he's been in the NFL. Further proof that he isn't being coached very well and is just relying on raw talent. His deep ball is generally thrown way too late and as a result the WR normally has to wait for the ball. Brady, as much as I despise him, clearly works at his craft. When he came into the league he was purely a short passing QB. Over the last few years he has become a great deep passing QB. I've seen a number of passes from him downfield that are pretty much perfect.
    Randy Moss had a lot to do with Brady's deep ball success. Ben is right up there though having had tone and now Wallace to hit deep. Ben very well may be among the NFL leaders in passes of 30 yards or more over the last 4 years.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information