Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maholm to the DL

Threads : 197

Default Maholm to the DL

For the first time in his career Paul Maholm has been placed on the DL. They're reporting the injury as a shoulder strain.

This actually creates an interesting situation. Ross Ohlendorf is in AAA waiting for a spot in the rotation, so it seems like an easy fix. The problem is that Ohlendorf was already expected to start one of the games of Monday's doubleheader. Maholm's spot comes on Tuesday. I assume the easiest move would be to prepare Brad Lincoln for a Tuesday start, but then you're a man short in the pen until then.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Maholm to the DL

Man, I had no idea he was even injured.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 413

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Man, I had no idea he was even injured.
    Moi aussi. And there goes my argument about being an innings eater who can be relied upon to take the ball every 5th day. I hope it's not serious.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Me too, hope it doesn't become chronic as well.

And I see that Tony Watson was recalled. Dorf should be soon also.

Looks like Lincoln will start game two on Monday. After that Ohlendorf will come up and start Tuesday and fill Maholm's spot until he's back. The easy move would be to send Lincoln back down after his start so you don't leave the bullpen short.

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    Looks like Lincoln will start game two on Monday. After that Ohlendorf will come up and start Tuesday and fill Maholm's spot until he's back. The easy move would be to send Lincoln back down after his start so you don't leave the bullpen short.
    This is where I get confused. All the talk about Pedro being out of options. I really only remember a few times when he's gone back and forth, yet Lincoln goes up and down more than an elevator in the Empire State Bldg.

Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post
    This is where I get confused. All the talk about Pedro being out of options. I really only remember a few times when he's gone back and forth, yet Lincoln goes up and down more than an elevator in the Empire State Bldg.
    I think I just explained this the other day, but:

A player uses an option each year he's (a) on the 40 man AND (b) spends 20 or more days in the minors. You can only use one option per year, regardless of how many times you go up and down. Players typically get 3 options, but there are some exceptions (injuries and major league deals being the main ones).

Lincoln was added to the 40 man before the 2010 season. He used one option in 2010 and one in 2011. Whether he stays up all year or goes back down doesn't make a difference in terms of options available. He'll still have one left next year.

Alvarez was added to the 40 man after he finally signed his major league deal late in 2008. He was optioned in 2009, again in 2010, now one more time in 2011. Alvarez is a special case, though, as he hasn't yet played 5 professional seasons, thus qualifies for a 4th option. He'll still have one option left next year.

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    I think I just explained this the other day, but:

A player uses an option each year he's (a) on the 40 man AND (b) spends 20 or more days in the minors. You can only use one option per year, regardless of how many times you go up and down. Players typically get 3 options, but there are some exceptions (injuries and major league deals being the main ones).

Lincoln was added to the 40 man before the 2010 season. He used one option in 2010 and one in 2011. Whether he stays up all year or goes back down doesn't make a difference in terms of options available. He'll still have one left next year.

Alvarez was added to the 40 man after he finally signed his major league deal late in 2008. He was optioned in 2009, again in 2010, now one more time in 2011. Alvarez is a special case, though, as he hasn't yet played 5 professional seasons, thus qualifies for a 4th option. He'll still have one option left next year.
    I know you did jnn and I thank you for the explanation. It's still confusing though.

So if Pedro stays down the rest of this season and doesn't come back up, say, til June of next year, then there is still an option left on him for next year. Like ex, I find it somewhat confusing, but trying to understand things like this a little better. So when a player is on the DL and is on a rehab assignment he is not considered to be using an option unless he stays or rather is kept there once he comes of the DL.

Threads : 45
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So if Pedro stays down the rest of this season and doesn't come back up, say, til June of next year, then there is still an option left on him for next year. Like ex, I find it somewhat confusing, but trying to understand things like this a little better. So when a player is on the DL and is on a rehab assignment he is not considered to be using an option unless he stays or rather is kept there once he comes of the DL.
    Steel, each season is separate from the other. If Pedro spends the rest of the season in AAA or gets called back up two or three times, he is still using the same option. But once this season ends, a new option will begin and all members of the 40 man roster all considered on the major league roster. During spring training, in order get a guy off the major league roster to the minors, he must be optioned to the minors. Once that option has exceeded 20 days, that option has been used for that baseball season. He can called up and sent down as often as the team deems necessary, and it still counts as using that one option for the season. So, after spring training next year, if Pedro doesn't make the team, the Pirates will have to option him to the minors to get him off the major league roster.

For all practical purposes, Pedro is out of options. But due to the he was signed to a major league contract, as long as he's under 5 years, they have one extra option. If Pedro were to make the team next year and stay productive for the next three years and then went into another dive like we're seeing now, he couldn't be optioned back to the minors because the Pirates lose the 4th option once he goes over 5 years from when he was drafted.

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse people more!

Much appreciated Indy, that definitely clears it up for me. It's good to have people like you and others around here with a good grasp on things like this. It sucks because sometimes I have to read something 2 or 3 times to understand something. So thanks for your patients and my dumb questions

Threads : 45

Much appreciated Indy, that definitely clears it up for me. It's good to have people like you and others around here with a good grasp on things like this. It sucks because sometimes I have to read something 2 or 3 times to understand something. So thanks for your patients and my dumb questions
    Not a problem Steel! Glad I could help!!

Threads : 1817

The plus is that we do have starter depth for situations like this and its something we have had all season too. Dorf goes down to injury and Karstens steps in. Maholm gets injured and now we can have Dorf or Lincoln fill in. Nice solutions to have.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    The plus is that we do have starter depth for situations like this and its something we have had all season too. Dorf goes down to injury and Karstens steps in. Maholm gets injured and now we can have Dorf or Lincoln fill in. Nice solutions to have.
    That's certainly something you couldn't have said 4 years ago. They've come a long way in a short time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information