Thread: For draft pick Bell, Pirates were best option

Threads : 691

Default For draft pick Bell, Pirates were best option

For draft pick Bell, Pirates were best option
    By Rob Biertempfel, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Saturday, August 20, 2011

To lure second-round draft pick Josh Bell into signing a contract, the Pirates unleashed a recruiting pitch that would be the envy of any college coach.

The team sent videos and PowerPoint presentations detailing what life is like at Pirate City in Bradenton, Fla., and at every minor league stop up the ladder to the majors. Scouting director Greg Smith kept in constant contact with calls and visits.

One day before the 12:01 a.m. Tuesday signing deadline, the Pirates made their final offer of a $5 million bonus.

Bell, 19, gave up his scholarship to the University of Texas and turned pro.

"I couldn't tell you how many times I switched back and forth," Bell said Friday at PNC Park. "In the end, I felt that if a team is going to have this much faith in me, I really can't turn it down. They're investing in me as a player."

It was a dramatic change of heart by Bell, who was a standout outfielder at Jesuit High School in Texas. Months before the draft, Bell sent a letter to MLB headquarters telling teams not to select him because he was intent on going to college.

"When I sent out that letter, I changed my phone number," Bell said. "I had no contact with any team. The Pirates took a leap of faith with me, and I'm really happy that they did."

Over the summer, Bell took 12 credit hours' worth of classes at Texas and worked out with the college's strength and conditioning coach. He swung a bat every day, wondering if his next big hit would help the Longhorns or some minor-league club.

Bell's mother, Myrtle, handled negotiations with the Pirates, with help from super-agent Scott Boras.

"There was discussion daily, hourly," Boras said. "When you're in the serious moments of a life decision for a player, you want to do a good job as a parent. I tell every player, the greatest way to learn baseball is doing it all the time, every day."

That message resonated with Bell, who was rated among the top 10 prospects in this year's draft.

"If I want to be a baseball player, ultimately this is the best 'school' for me to be in," Bell said. "This is my one chance to reach my full potential in baseball."

It also is a chance to make a lot of money very quickly. Bell's $5 million bonus was well over MLB's recommended slot for a second-rounder and has earned the Pirates a rebuke from commissioner Bud Selig.

The Pirates have spent more than $52 million on draft bonuses during the past five years, the highest total in the majors. They spent $17 million this year, including $8 million for No. 1 overall pick Gerrit Cole, who will be in Pittsburgh today.

The Pirates did not say where they will place Bell in their system, but he's likely to play in instruction leagues this offseason.

"This is another step in our process, a process that isn't possible without the support, both financially and guidance-wise, of (owner) Bob Nutting," general manager Neal Huntington said.

Read more: For draft pick Bell, Pirates were best option - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1VajCGRHq
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: For draft pick Bell, Pirates were best option

You can never get tired of reading stories like this about the Pirates. They knew what they wanted and got it and ended up with two first round picks because of it. If Bud Selig doesn't like it that the Pirates over pay on slot Bonuses then he might want to go with a salary cap, because this is how the Pirates have to go after their their talent. Too bad if they overpay draft picks the way the big market teams overpay for free agents, you do What you gotta do. They ain't breaking any rules, every MLB team had a chance to draft Bell, but not every team had a shot at A-Rod, Texeria, or guys like that. Go Buccos!!! git-r-done.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 691

The only thing that prevents Bud Selig from being the worst commissioner in professional sports is Roger Goodell.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The only thing that prevents Bud Selig from being the worst commissioner in professional sports is Roger Goodell.
    that's a fact.

Threads : 413

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    I'll drink to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    They ain't breaking any rules, every MLB team had a chance to draft Bell, but not every team had a shot at A-Rod, Texeria, or guys like that.
    Boy if that ain't the truth.

And to quote another post, Mr. Selig. Suck a dick. That is all.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Threads : 0

I don't know what it is about Bell, but whenever I watch video of the kid swing I just get a feeling that he is going to be best player the Pirates have had in decades.

Boy that would be nice. He reminds me a little bit of Bobby Bonilla.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information