Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers 5 wide vs Bungles Defense.....

Threads : 4

Default Steelers 5 wide vs Bungles Defense.....

First off let me say I hate 5 wide formations.

No RB and only 5 linemen in to block.

Today everytime the Bungles saw that formation they stacked the box with 8 ppl all within 1 yd of the line of scrimmage and typically sent 6. This creates confusion and chaos in the O-line not knowing who to block.

When we did this same thing to the Ravens they would go max protect and it was effective against us. Why does Arians continue to go 5 wide giving Ben the minimal protection?

The 4 wide package at least keeps a defense honest and when the Steelers went 4 wide they were more effective moving the football and it also kept the Bungles Defense honest.

I wanna see a tandem backfield with Medenhall & Fast Willie Parker for portions of the game.

NO MORE EMPTY SETS!!!

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Steelers 5 wide vs Bungles Defense.....

... Empty set has worked well on occasion.... But the O-line needs to do their job for it to work.... It just didn't today.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Chicoman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Today everytime the Bungles saw that formation they stacked the box with 8 ppl all within 1 yd of the line of scrimmage and typically sent 6. This creates confusion and chaos in the O-line not knowing who to block.

When we did this same thing to the Ravens they would go max protect and it was effective against us. Why does Arians continue to go 5 wide giving Ben the minimal protection?

The 4 wide package at least keeps a defense honest and when the Steelers went 4 wide they were more effective moving the football and it also kept the Bungles Defense honest.

I wanna see a tandem backfield with Medenhall & Fast Willie Parker for portions of the game.

NO MORE EMPTY SETS!!!
    5 wide isn't bad from shotgun or 3 step but, our problem, especially in this game was in not gettng the ball out quick enough. It's Ben's job to see the box stacked, call an audible and hit a guy "quick". ben just seemed like he was having a hard time today picking up what the Bengals D was doing and it's not like we were playing against a good defense. This wasn't a top 10 defense. It stinks against the pass. Just strange

Threads : 9

Ben seemed flat.

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    ... Empty set has worked well on occasion.... But the O-line needs to do their job for it to work.... It just didn't today.
    That was on Ben today.That guy had so much time it was ****ing ridiculous.He won't be mentioned in the same breath as Peyton until he can make decisions like Peyton.

Threads : 122

Quote Originally Posted by Chicoman View Post

NO MORE EMPTY SETS!!!

This type of offense, 5 wide that is, works fine if you have a very accurate QB that gets back, set, and delivers the ball on a timing pattern. Instead we attempted 5 step drops and very long developing patterns.

Threads : 407

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    5 wide isn't bad from shotgun or 3 step but, our problem, especially in this game was in not gettng the ball out quick enough. It's Ben's job to see the box stacked, call an audible and hit a guy "quick". ben just seemed like he was having a hard time today picking up what the Bengals D was doing and it's not like we were playing against a good defense. This wasn't a top 10 defense. It stinks against the pass. Just strange
    I actually expected to have a field day passing the ball agaisnt their pass D.

Threads : 407

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    That was on Ben today.That guy had so much time it was ****ing ridiculous.He won't be mentioned in the same breath as Peyton until he can make decisions like Peyton.
    Ben seems to be stuck...between...all the wanna be's (Palmer, Cutler, Rivers, etc.) and PM & TB. He just can't get over the hump...yet.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It was a bad time for Ben to have a rare bad game. Time to get healthy against teams whose only reason to exist, seemingly, is to help good teams get right.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Quote Originally Posted by bleedBnG58 View Post
    I actually expected to have a field day passing the ball agaisnt their pass D.
    I thought we would pass well on Minnesota as well. Especially considering their already mediocre pass defense was without a starting CB.

Bottom line is we have a top 10 offense in yardage, yet a they are ranked 15th in scoring. We have a mediocre offense.

So even though we have the following we are middle of the road scoring?:

- 100 million dollar 2 time superbowl winning QB with just as many wins as anyone else this deep in their careers

- Steelers all time leading WR in Hines Ward who is a past Superbowl MVP and as tough as nails. Sure handed and can take a hit. Also a tough blocker. Considered by a lot to be the most well rounded and best all around WR in the game.

- Former first round pick and Superbowl MVP in Santonio Holmes. Totally takes over games sometimes with his run after the catch abilities.

- Probably the best rookie WR in the game right now in Mike Wallace. Gets past the opposing secondary multiple times per game. Has shown he can make a big catch.

- Former starting NFL WR in Shaun McDonald. Had 79 catches for 943 yards in 2007 but a down year in 2008 due to injury. Even though he is a proven commodity and 7 year NFL vet he can't even make it on the field for uncreative Bruce Arians offense.

- Former 2nd round pick in Sweed who has all the physical attributes you could ask for. He has dropped some very high profile passes, but they were on deep balls. When incorporated into the offense during the preseason where he was asked to catch passes over the middle he was catching everything thrown his way and taking hits and holding onto the ball. Due to some drops he rarely steps onto the field. I personally haven't given up on him and think that they need to get him involved more over the middle and not deep or out in the flats.

- Total stud TE in Heath Miller that catches everything thrown his way and delivers beatings after the catch. Not even going to say anything more than the dude is a pro bowler.

- 6'7" 270lb pass catching TE in Matt Spaeth. Last season when Heath went down for 2 games and Spaeth was asked to step up, he responded with two games where he caught 12 passes for 108 yards. Apparently instead of thinking it a good idea to incorporate him into the passing game, especially in the red zone where we suck ***, he is used primarily as a blocker which is his main weakness. Once again, Arians, pull your ****ing head out of your *** for a minute.

- First round pick Rashard Mendenhall who is breaking out this season. The guy has shown he can run for speed and with power. Has definately pulled some bonehead moves but still, he is a beast. Tuck the ball son!

- Mewelde Moore has to be one of the most sure handed RB I have seen. The guy is an absolute weapon out of the backfield. I think he is honestly underutilized in our offense. Ben needs to learn to just take the 8 yard completion to this guy to keep the offense rolling instead of looking past a wide open Moore in his progressions to look for someone deeper....especially when it is 2nd & 8 and he is open 8 yards downfield.

- I am not going to mention Parker

.........so, what other team in the NFL has so many studs? Surely not Cincy! Surely not Chicago! Surely not anyone else in the AFC other than maybe the Patriots or Colts. You can blame the players if you want, but I think the OC job is to get the most out of the players he has at his disposal and Bruce Arians does not do that. Not even close. I think he ****ing handcuffs the offense more than the maximizes its potential.

With the defense we have, if the offense can do its part and either put up points, or hold onto the football with drives that eat up half the clock, we should beat everyone. We should win the Superbowl.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That's pretty much it Pittsburgh, brucey has a lamborgini and he drives it like he's freakin' driving miss daisy. Put the **** pedal to the floor and open it up for once.
    THIS OFFENSE could be just as potent as the Saints if brucey would let it be, if he would just get out of the way.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 1

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    Ben has to make quick and correct decisions for it to work. Decision making was a problem for Ben in the Bengal game it seemed.

Papillon

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Papillon View Post
    Ben has to make quick and correct decisions for it to work. Decision making was a problem for Ben in the Bengal game it seemed.

Papillon
    Decision making and reading the Bengals defense initially. Ben didn't look like he was reading the Bengals blitz packages at all in that game. The Bengals were at times overloading the line and Ben was dropping back for deep passes. That is going to get you killed every single time. It was reminding me of the Eagles game last year. Sure there were some O-Line issues but the Eagles were bringing forms of pressure on every down and it wasn't just a basic 4 line rush either and there was Ben, taking 5-7 steps back and waiting for a 15 yard pass play to develop.

We should've been and could've killed the Bengals in the flats and over the middle in the passing game. The Bengals were bright in tight pressure to contain ben in the pocket which was leaving the flats really exposed and Bruce and Ben did nothing to take advantage of that.

Quick slants? there is absolutely NO good reason to not use them a ton per game. We have 2 WR's in Ward and Holmes that are actually a couple of the best in the league at running and catching slat routes and we don't do them enough at all or Ben chooses to wait and hope for the guy down field 15 yards to get open. Seriously. You allow Wes Welker to make a catch on a quick slant or be open, tom Brady will throw him the ball every single time on every down until you show you can stop it. The Steelers? "Hey, that worked, now let's try a 20 yard pass".

The cincinnati game was a great illustration of Bruce Arians not knowing how to play call to dictate a game offensively. The entire game for the msot part, Cincinnati's defense was dictating the ball on the field. Offensively we weren't doing anything strategically or from a playcalling stand point to counter their blitzes, their rushes. We wanted to throw deep but were doing nothing to back off their pressure to allow time for that. Instead, offensively we countered with exactly what the Bengals defense was setting up to stop. Really, it's mind boggling.

Mister Pittsburgh.... again... beautiful post

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I saw an evaluation in the USA Today where we are basically 60-40 pass/run... Our lack of rushing effectively shuts-down the pass (or at least play action) because we aren't fooling anyone.... I believe it was Kemo who made a statement to the press saying that is one of their top priorities this week.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information