Default Q&A: Jonathan Dwyer

Q&A: Jonathan Dwyer
    August 21, 2011
    By Mike Bires mbires@timesonline.com

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4e51c9d0e70f0.preview-300.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	3071At the start of training camp, it appeared that second-year pro Jonathan Dwyer might have a hard time making the Steelers’ 53-man roster. He was overweight and the Steelers had taken Texas Tech running Baron Batch in the seventh round of this year’s draft.

But since then, Batch suffered a season-ending knee injury and Dwyer has trimmed down significantly. Now, it looks like the former Georgia Tech star will make the team again this year. Following are excerpts of an interview Times pro football writer Mike Bires had with Dwyer:

Q: This past Tuesday, you said that you lost 15 to 20 pounds since the start of training camp. How did you manage to gain all that extra weight in the first place?

A: “I was working out a lot right after last season. But then during the lockout, I rested my body and gained weight. The lockout was long, and I didn’t know when we’d come back. I just messed up.”

Q: How did you lose 15-to-20 pounds between July 29 and August 16? That’s about a pound a day.

A: “Just working, man. Working hard ... doing extra work in the mornings during camp ... running gassers after practice with the rest of the running backs ... eating right and not eating after a certain time of day ... keeping my calorie count down ... just doing the right things. I’m losing weight every day. I’m back on the right track, and it is showing with the way I’m practicing and the way I’m playing.”

Q: So how’s your weight right now?

A: “I’m around 235, 238.”

Q: Despite the weight issues, are you satisfied with your speed and quickness?

A: “Yeah. The speed never really went away. It was my conditioning, and that’s getting better every day. I feel much better than I did the week before.”

Q: On Thursday in the win over the Eagles, you carried 13 times for 44 rushing yards, both team-high totals. You also played some snaps at fullback. Can you assess your performance?

A: “I did all right, I think. There are things I have to improve on. (Playing fullback) was something they wanted me to do. They wanted to see if I could do it. I said I would, just to show them what else I could do. I’ll do whatever it takes to make this team.”

Q: Speaking of doing other things, assistant coach Jerry Olsavsky gave you some pointers in the locker room after practice Saturday. What was that all about?

A: “He was giving me a few tips on special teams. I have to make myself more viable. I want to improve on everything, not just running back. Running the ball is natural. That’s what I do. That’s my God-given talent. But I have to do other things, like playing on special teams, to make myself viable to make this team.”

Q: What’s your take on Baron Batch getting hurt?

A: “That’s unfortunate He’s a good player and a good guy. It’s tough not to see him out there with us.”

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/lo...9a3fe0bd9.html
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Q&A: Jonathan Dwyer

I hope he is serious about wanting to make the team because coming that out of shape doesn't send the coaching staff a good message.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He played well against the 2nd/3rd teamers idk. Looks like he will get Staleys old uni .

Threads : 3263

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hope he is serious about wanting to make the team because coming that out of shape doesn't send the coaching staff a good message.
    Yea... He was really lucky that Batch got injured... That is his only hope IMO.

... As professionals, it is THEIR JOB to be in "shape" for the season, lockout or not.... He didn't do it... But he has seemed to be getting into the groove... I still think that he's on the "outside looking in", but who knows, as there is still 2 more preseason games for him to make an impression on the coaches.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

They should just run him against 1st team D. Do we really need Mendy and Red out there getting beat up at this point? Running against 3rd team doesnt prove much but thats where the path began for Red. Gotta do the task at hand and go from there.

Threads : 3263

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    They should just run him against 1st team D. Do we really need Mendy and Red out there getting beat up at this point?
    Christ, you're probably MF-ing me right now Beezy, but I think there is a "point"...

... Gotta get the "game" feel going... Gotta get hit by other players on other teams that don't like you....

There has been much discussion on radio that the reduced practice sched and peramiters are hurting the running backs because they are not getting hit and it may lead to more fumbles this season.

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    Christ, you're probably MF-ing me right now Beezy, but I think there is a "point"...

... Gotta get the "game" feel going... Gotta get hit by other players on other teams that don't like you....

There has been much discussion on radio that the reduced practice sched and peramiters are hurting the running backs because they are not getting hit and it may lead to more fumbles this season.
    Naw I know I am just putting it out there but the truth is the 1st team won't play a whole lot more anyway until the opener.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If he can hang running against the first team then I'll be a believer, until then all the potential in the world won't do him a bit of good.

See Redman it translates sometimes. The thing is even Dixon was looking good. Leads me to believe the Iggles 2nd team was pretty crap.

their first line may be their dream team, but they have little depth. their smallish linebackers are gonna wear down as well.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information