Thread: Steelers sign Timmons to six-year contract

Threads : 691

Default Steelers sign Timmons to six-year contract

Steelers sign Timmons to six-year contract
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    The Steelers today signed linebacker Lawrence Timmons to a six-year, $50 million contract. Timmons, the first draft choice in Mike Tomlin's first year as coach in 2007, had one year left on the contract he signed as a rookie. He now is signed through 2016.

That signing also likely will be the last contract extension the Steelers do this year, which means there will be no extension negotiated for safety Troy Polamalu this year, the last year of his contract. Polamalu could become a free agent in March. However, the Steelers also could put the franchise tag on him to prevent that. They did that with linebacker LaMarr Woodley this year and then signed Woodley to a six-year, $61.5 million contract. Woodley was drafted in the second round after Timmons in 2007.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11235...#ixzz1VrbhINpE
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 186

Default Re: Steelers sign Timmons to six-year contract

A welcome surprise considering he had a year left on the rookie contract

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What about Wallace?

Threads : 3263

Steelers keep Timmons-Woodley together
    August, 23, 2011
    By James Walker

What is the price for keeping two of the NFL's best young linebackers together?

It's $111.5 million for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

That is the amount Pittsburgh recently invested in 2007 draft picks LaMarr Woodley and Lawrence Timmons. The dynamic pair were back-to-back selections for the Steelers four years ago. Both got huge extensions just several weeks apart.

Pittsburgh signed Timmons to a six-year, $50 million contract on Tuesday. The former first-round pick recorded 135 tackles and two interceptions last season. Many in the Steelers' organization believe Timmons, 25, still hasn't reached his potential and could be one of the top inside linebackers in the NFL.

Woodley, who signed a six-year, $61.5 million contract, will join Timmons in Pittsburgh for the foreseeable future. James Harrison, 33, and James Farrior, 36, won't play much longer. But the great tradition and future of Pittsburgh's linebacking corps is secure with Timmons and Woodley.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Good job by the front office securing both these guys. Now next offseason they can focus on Wallace and Troy
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

that's what you do. You secure your good young players long term. You ship off or run out the older and expensive vets to help do so in the future.

The Steelers have made some good signings this Offseason :

Woodley, Timmons, cotchery

They Steelers have made some really bad ones :

Colon, Gay

The Steelers have also not done any restructures on guys that are vastly overpaid :

Casey Hampton, Aaron Smith

Pretty mixed Offseason so far. Despite hating everything about the willie Colon signing and not doing anything to address the weakest area on the field - secondary, I do like securing the best young players we have long term
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would imagine there could still be some restructuring coming now that the extensions and whatnot are out of the way. I'm guessing restructuring is easier to accomplish than negotiating a new contract or an extension.

Threads : 277

Kudos to those who worked out the extension and to HC Tomlin for choosing Timmons.

I was among the "doubters," but am so happy that Timmons play and Tomlin's confidence have proved me wrong.
    Last edited by DCBILL; Aug-23-2011 at 03:45 PM.

Threads : 60

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    that's what you do. You secure your good young players long term. You ship off or run out the older and expensive vets to help do so in the future.

The Steelers have made some good signings this Offseason :

Woodley, Timmons, cotchery

They Steelers have made some really bad ones :

Colon, Gay

The Steelers have also not done any restructures on guys that are vastly overpaid :

Casey Hampton, Aaron Smith

Pretty mixed Offseason so far. Despite hating everything about the willie Colon signing and not doing anything to address the weakest area on the field - secondary, I do like securing the best young players we have long term

I agreee 100% plus they did lock up Ike too.

As far as I know they haven't even approached Smith about messing with his contract. I wonder if they are seeing if Hood could fill his shoes this season and then cut Smith ? Hampton ? I think they realize it's him under his conditions or nothing. When we were the only ones or the few tthat lived by the 3/4 defense we could always find a guy like Hampton but now, that position has become as important as finding a great corner or tackle.

They're certainly taking care of their own and making sure they wrap them up. Nice to see them get this much done before the season starts, I wonder if these deals also help increase any cap space at all?

Threads : 413

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    They're certainly taking care of their own and making sure they wrap them up. Nice to see them get this much done before the season starts, I wonder if these deals also help increase any cap space at all?
    Probably not this year, but it gives them a good base to plan on regarding the salary caps in the years to come.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Threads : 82

They will have money to spend next year. With possibly, Smith, Hines maybe Farrior and who knows coming off the books. Gotta get Troy and Wallace done. If Wallace has another big year everyone will want him. The Steelers have a tendency to let WRs go.

Threads : 60

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    They will have money to spend next year. With possibly, Smith, Hines maybe Farrior and who knows coming off the books. Gotta get Troy and Wallace done. If Wallace has another big year everyone will want him. The Steelers have a tendency to let WRs go.

Wow ! your right about the Steelers let receivers go at times. I think with Sanders, Brown, Hines Cotctry the Steelers may feel they won't need to break the bank for Wallace. Especially if Sanders and Brown show they have the explosiveness to be top notch receivers. I'm not sure the age of Cotchry but he quickly put me in mind of Hines ward with the little playing time that I've seen of him. Maybe he's a fixture for our Steelrs future like Hines was ?
    I also posted some place that I didn't know why the Steelers were interested in him but, I've got a glimps of that now and I'm glad.

Threads : 186

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    I can't see them letting Wallace go next year. Holmes and Plex had some off the field issues to consider and the fact Hines was there all along meant we always had a clutch WR to fall back on . If Wallace goes and Hines is surely gone next year, who's left only Brown Sanders and Cotchery. If Wallace has a good year he can earn Hines's paycheck when he retires.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information