Thread: Thoughts on Troy Polamalu's future

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Thoughts on Troy Polamalu's future

Thoughts on Troy Polamalu's future
    August, 23, 2011
    By James Walker

The Pittsburgh Steelers secured two of their top young linebackers by extending the contracts of Lawrence Timmons and LaMarr Woodley. They signed a pair of six-year contracts worth a total of $111.5 million.

That leaves Pittsburgh Pro Bowl safety Troy Polamalu as the last key player entering the final year of his contract. Will the Steelers also re-sign Polamalu this season?

Polamalu

Although nothing is set in stone, I don't expect Pittsburgh to work out a new deal with Polamalu this year. The updated cap numbers after the Timmons and Woodley extensions are not yet available. But there's likely not enough room for a third mega deal with Polamalu.

The contracts for Timmons and Woodley are both in the $9 to $10 million per year range. Polamalu should command similar money. The Steelers can't pay everyone at the same time.

Time is also of the essence. The regular season starts in a little more than two weeks, and Pittsburgh usually doesn't negotiate contracts once the games begin. Therefore, Polamalu's situation probably won't be addressed this season if a deal isn't reached by Sept. 11.

The franchise tag is a strong possibility. I anticipate the Steelers will approach Polamalu's contract next year similarly to the way they handled Woodley's status. Don't be shocked if Polamalu gets the one-year franchise tender in 2012 to buy time to work out a long-term extension.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...lamalus-future
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 3263

Default Re: Thoughts on Troy Polamalu's future

Hair care: Steelers must re-sign Polamalu next
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011
    By Mike Bires mbires@timesonline.com

PITTSBURGH - And next on the Steelers' to-do list is Troy Polamalu.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4e542ff39e461.preview-300.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	3082Management has taken care of three defensive standouts so far this preseason. Now it's time to take care of the most valuable member of the defense.

That would be the long-haired dynamo who wears No. 43.

For as important as Ike Taylor, LaMarr Woodley and Lawrence Timmons are to the Steelers, Polamalu is the guy who really makes them extra special on defense.

For all he's done so far and for all that's still to come, Polamalu needs to be compensated just like his teammates who got new contracts.

Yes, Polamalu is now a 30-year-old, ninth-year pro. His hard-driving style of play is taking a toll on his body. Only once in the last five seasons has he managed to play every game.

But when he's on the field, there is no one like him. With respect to Baltimore's Ed Reed, Polamalu is the NFL's best safety. He is the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year. And right now, he's healthy.

Tuesday after practice, Polamalu braced for the media blitz he knew was coming his way. After questioning linebacker Lawrence Timmons about his new contract extension, reporters circled Polamalu and asked if there's anything in the works for him.

"These contract talks should stay between me and my agent," Polamalu said.

When asked if he'd be disappointed if a deal didn't get done before the start of the regular season -- that's the Steelers' traditional cut-off day for any contract talks -- Polamalu said "We'll cross that bridge when we come to it."

Even though he was born in California, went to high school in Oregon and now lives in San Diego during the off-season, Polamalu wants to finish his career in Pittsburgh. He looks around the locker room and sees veterans like 35-year-old Hines Ward and 36-year-old Aaron Smith. He knows how delighted they are that they've been able to remain Steelers throughout their pro careers.

At this stage of his own career, Polamalu understands the business of football. He's not asking the Steelers to break the bank. In 2007 as he was about to enter his prime, he got a huge deal -- $33 million over five years, including $15.375 million in guaranteed money.

All he wants is that the Steelers treat him fairly.

Polamalu, who's making $6.4 million this year in the last year of his existing contract, could be tagged a franchise player next year if he's not extended by Sept. 11. If that were the case, he would be paid roughly $8.8 million in 2012 if tagged.

He could deal with that. But what he wants most is the security one more long-term deal would give him.

He deserves that much. And there's still plenty of time to get a deal done.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/st...b6bce718f.html
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 102

I have no doubt that Troy finishes his career here. A franchise tag situation wouldn´t bother him in the least IMO.

Threads : 20
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have no doubt that Troy finishes his career here. A franchise tag situation wouldn´t bother him in the least IMO.
    He is the clubhouse favorite to be franchised next off-season. The Steelers will never let him just walk and he will finish his HOF career as a Steeler.
    buckeyehoppy 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Pick-em' Contest Champion and 2013 Finalist!

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyehoppy View Post
    He is the clubhouse favorite to be franchised next off-season. The Steelers will never let him just walk and he will finish his HOF career as a Steeler.
    I totally agree with this, Troy will retire a Steelers. Who knows, maybe They know the cap number now and are working to restructure Hampered and Smith to get a deal done with Troy. Why not, I never saw getting Ike, Wood and Simmons done this soon coming.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 30

Heard on the news this evening that Troy's gonna have to wait until next year.

Threads : 20

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    I totally agree with this, Troy will retire a Steelers. Who knows, maybe They know the cap number now and are working to restructure Hampered and Smith to get a deal done with Troy. Why not, I never saw getting Ike, Wood and Simmons done this soon coming.
    Well, if there's one thing the brain trust knows how to do effectively, manipulating the cap to keep the 1st stringers in the fold is certainly one of their key assets.
    buckeyehoppy 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Pick-em' Contest Champion and 2013 Finalist!

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post
    Heard on the news this evening that Troy's gonna have to wait until next year.
    I'm sure they'll franchise him until they can work out a long term retirement deal.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information