Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Post game thoughts

Threads : 137
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Post game thoughts

Yeah, sorry I haven't been around too often lately - especially in the GDT, I'm back on travel tour and spent most of today driving. I did stop by in Pittsburgh to watch the game with my dad before I went on the second leg of my drive to bungles territory.

Anyway, here's my thoughts.

First, hat tip to the bungles. They won the game, probably moreso than we lost the game as was the case in the first meeting. Their D played very well, A- and we know how the special teams matched up.

a) Our D didn't lose the game, they were the only reason this wasn't a blowout. Hold the NFL leading redzone TD team to zero TD's but give up a bunch of FG's is still quite a feat. If we did that every week, we'd be a top seeded playoff team.

b) I haven't been reading the *****ing here lately and I'm guessing Arians is getting more than his fair share of the venom. He deserves some of it - especially in the second half when we went to the old Chuck Noll offense. Run, run, pass, punt. Give the bungles credit, they forced Ben to sit on the ball in the pocket with tight coverage. And that leads to Ben who gets much of the blame - sitting on the ball, in the pocket. Ben looked like his civil law suit took a turn for the worse.

c) Sepulveda. First punt, 38 yards. Second punt, 34 yards. Mitch Berger could handle that and he was an UDFA, not a 4th round pick.

d) The bungles didn't exactly light it up on offense, our D gave up some sustained drives but kept them out of the endzone. Ochostinko was almost a non-factor, being more of a decoy than anything else.

e) My dad said a couple years ago that Troy was going to be injured off and on for the rest of his career. I chuckled it off back then. I'm not now.

f) I saw Sweed on the sideline. The guys on the radio suggested that Sweed was going to see some game time since Tomlin suggested he's been practicing well. I didn't notice him in there. I have little doubt his days are numbered here.

g) Final drive, 1:50 on the clock, no TO's. First play, we go deep. I don't understand it. Wallace said after the game the design was to draw a PI penalty. That smelled like desperation to me and that's not a good thing in any situation.

h) Ben sort of threw the fans under the bus after the game saying something to the extent that 'the game didn't feel right, the fans didn't feel right, the weather didn't feel right', etc. I made the comment to my dad that the fans were rallying that team late in the 3rd/early in the 4th. Bad comment on Ben's part.

i) And for the 'didn't feel right' comments, I don't like that either. Ben was clearly off center during most of the game. Suck it up and say you had a bad game and move on. Maybe it's just me and my style.

j) Tomlin goes for it on 4th instead of trying a fairly easy FG to tie the game. A similar call arguably cost us the first game against the bungles and Tomlin was ready to roll those dice once again. Just my .02

k) Our special teams are pathetic and they won't get any better soon. On kickoffs, Logan has turned into average and I'm ok with that but there is definitely a trend with our kickoff/punt coverage. The bungles exploited it, no doubt other teams will be watching that film and the other TD's we gave up on ST.

l) Ben took a lot of sacks but the O-line played fairly well. If out line continues to play at the level they have been so far this season, you won't get much griping from me. Ben needs to be more mobile in the pocket like he used to be. I'm not sure why he decided to be a tree in the pocket this year and all those sacks are testament to it.

Tough loss, sucks, got swept by the ****ing bungles. Not the end of the world. Our schedule gets easier, moreso than the bungles schedule. There isn't any reason why we should think this loss (sweep actually) is any harbinger of doom. Shake it off, figure out where we ****ed up and move on. Focus on the games ahead, we're not out of the race for the AFCN title by any measure.

That is all

Threads : 29

Default Re: Post game thoughts

I know it's a team effort and all that, but I have to agree with you, Ben was the one not right today. Every throw was off, either wobbling, too short, too high, too hard, etc. He just had zero touch on the ball and although I give the Bungles D kudos for keeping him in the pocket, he seemed to want to be a pocket passer today and it's not Ben.

I was a fan of Logan's but he's not getting it done, he doesn't have much help with blocking, but I'm starting to wonder if he's worth the roster spot and if Wallace/Moore/Holmes couldn't do just as well.

Defense did their job today imo, although they dropped 3 picks.

The offense gets the largest part of the blame today, I would blame the game plan but when your QB is having an off game, I'm not sure any game plan is going to succeed.

Reed's total lack of ability to make a tackle is starting to get old in a hurry. I know most say it shouldn't get that far, but every week I watch kickers either make tackles or trip them up enough for someone else to make the tackle. Although on that return there was a hold and a block in the back on Logan.
    I said last week this wasn't a have to win as far as the playoffs, we'll see whether it was for the division. Personally I think they put themselves in a tough position and need to win the rest of the way out to win the division and probably can't lose more than one more game if that to get a playoff spot.

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cardiacsteelers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know it's a team effort and all that, but I have to agree with you, Ben was the one not right today. Every throw was off, either wobbling, too short, too high, too hard, etc. He just had zero touch on the ball and although I give the Bungles D kudos for keeping him in the pocket, he seemed to want to be a pocket passer today and it's not Ben.

I was a fan of Logan's but he's not getting it done, he doesn't have much help with blocking, but I'm starting to wonder if he's worth the roster spot and if Wallace/Moore/Holmes couldn't do just as well.

Defense did their job today imo, although they dropped 3 picks.

The offense gets the largest part of the blame today, I would blame the game plan but when your QB is having an off game, I'm not sure any game plan is going to succeed.

Reed's total lack of ability to make a tackle is starting to get old in a hurry. I know most say it shouldn't get that far, but every week I watch kickers either make tackles or trip them up enough for someone else to make the tackle. Although on that return there was a hold and a block in the back on Logan.
    I said last week this wasn't a have to win as far as the playoffs, we'll see whether it was for the division. Personally I think they put themselves in a tough position and need to win the rest of the way out to win the division and probably can't lose more than one more game if that to get a playoff spot.
    Now that is a MONEY post.Couldn't agree more!!!!

Threads : 67

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetchuck View Post
    Yeah, sorry I haven't been around too often lately - especially in the GDT, I'm back on travel tour and spent most of today driving. I did stop by in Pittsburgh to watch the game with my dad before I went on the second leg of my drive to bungles territory.

Anyway, here's my thoughts.

First, hat tip to the bungles. They won the game, probably moreso than we lost the game as was the case in the first meeting. Their D played very well, A- and we know how the special teams matched up.

a) Our D didn't lose the game, they were the only reason this wasn't a blowout. Hold the NFL leading redzone TD team to zero TD's but give up a bunch of FG's is still quite a feat. If we did that every week, we'd be a top seeded playoff team.

b) I haven't been reading the *****ing here lately and I'm guessing Arians is getting more than his fair share of the venom. He deserves some of it - especially in the second half when we went to the old Chuck Noll offense. Run, run, pass, punt. Give the bungles credit, they forced Ben to sit on the ball in the pocket with tight coverage. And that leads to Ben who gets much of the blame - sitting on the ball, in the pocket. Ben looked like his civil law suit took a turn for the worse.

c) Sepulveda. First punt, 38 yards. Second punt, 34 yards. Mitch Berger could handle that and he was an UDFA, not a 4th round pick.

d) The bungles didn't exactly light it up on offense, our D gave up some sustained drives but kept them out of the endzone. Ochostinko was almost a non-factor, being more of a decoy than anything else.

e) My dad said a couple years ago that Troy was going to be injured off and on for the rest of his career. I chuckled it off back then. I'm not now.

[HIGH-LIGHT]f) I saw Sweed on the sideline. The guys on the radio suggested that Sweed was going to see some game time since Tomlin suggested he's been practicing well. I didn't notice him in there. I have little doubt his days are numbered here.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

g) Final drive, 1:50 on the clock, no TO's. First play, we go deep. I don't understand it. Wallace said after the game the design was to draw a PI penalty. That smelled like desperation to me and that's not a good thing in any situation.

h) Ben sort of threw the fans under the bus after the game saying something to the extent that 'the game didn't feel right, the fans didn't feel right, the weather didn't feel right', etc. I made the comment to my dad that the fans were rallying that team late in the 3rd/early in the 4th. Bad comment on Ben's part.

i) And for the 'didn't feel right' comments, I don't like that either. Ben was clearly off center during most of the game. Suck it up and say you had a bad game and move on. Maybe it's just me and my style.

j) Tomlin goes for it on 4th instead of trying a fairly easy FG to tie the game. A similar call arguably cost us the first game against the bungles and Tomlin was ready to roll those dice once again. Just my .02

k) Our special teams are pathetic and they won't get any better soon. On kickoffs, Logan has turned into average and I'm ok with that but there is definitely a trend with our kickoff/punt coverage. The bungles exploited it, no doubt other teams will be watching that film and the other TD's we gave up on ST.

l) Ben took a lot of sacks but the O-line played fairly well. If out line continues to play at the level they have been so far this season, you won't get much griping from me. Ben needs to be more mobile in the pocket like he used to be. I'm not sure why he decided to be a tree in the pocket this year and all those sacks are testament to it.

Tough loss, sucks, got swept by the ****ing bungles. Not the end of the world. Our schedule gets easier, moreso than the bungles schedule. There isn't any reason why we should think this loss (sweep actually) is any harbinger of doom. Shake it off, figure out where we ****ed up and move on. Focus on the games ahead, we're not out of the race for the AFCN title by any measure.

That is all
    He was playing on special teams I thought. Or maybe I'm crazy. Ok I am crazy but still.....
    "He had no teeth, and he was slobbering all over himself. I'm thinking, 'You can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant." I can't tell you how badly I wanted out of there." Denver rookie QB John Elway, on Jack Lambert, after Lambert and the Steelers knocked Elway out of his first game as a pro (1983).

Threads : 137

Right Shannon - Sweed was on ST last week, he got flagged for holding. I mean positional play.

It still goes to the brilliance of Arians not using a FB. If Ben needs a safety valve somewhere in the flat, that screams FB. I just don't get it. I didn't watch Miller closely and I wonder if he was open on many of those plays where Ben took a sack.

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

After the game I felt bad for NKy, as he had said he was gonna watch the game with Bengal fans. Double torture.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

[HIGH-LIGHT]I was a fan of Logan's but he's not getting it done, he doesn't have much help with blocking, but I'm starting to wonder if he's worth the roster spot and if Wallace/Moore/Holmes couldn't do just as well.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

I posted a thread about this but I'm going to put this out there for everyone...

In the ENTIRE NFL, of Kickoff Returners with 20 returns or more, Logan is ranked 9th with a return average of 25.5 yards. His average slipped a little bit but going into this game against Cincinnati Logan was carrying the highest return average by a Steelers Kickoff Returner since Rod Woodson 1989.

Logan is fine. Certain things he does drives me crazy (like not kneeling in the endzone to take touchbacks), but Logan is an improvement over what we've had in years and years.

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    He just seems to make poor decisions, like you said not kneeling down and fair catching at wrong times. I've also kept thinking all year he's going to break one, yet it never happens.
    I'll give you he's better than what we've had the last few years, but I just don't know if it's enough improvement to not pick up someone who can cover on KR.

We could always cut Ratliffe and sign Woods off the practice squad it isn't like Ratliffe brings anything. I would have said we could resign Madison but I think I saw him playing for the Colts tonight.

Threads : 22

Has Logan ever taken a knee in the EZ???!!! No reason to take the ball out from so deep, and start us at our 14-15 !!!

Also, sometimes, the blocking wont be there--- it would be nice if he could make someone miss just once !!!

I heard Ward on the radio this morning, I believe it was a comment he made after the game yesterday. It was a comment that I don't know exactly how to take. It kind of sounds like he's throwing Ben under the bus which is not cool imo. Although I do think Ben sucked. But Ben did kind of throw the fans under the bus. Which I wasn't there, but on TV it sounded like the crowd was very loud.

Here's the quote:
    We couldn't get on the same page. It was like we had 10 guys doing one thing and one guy doing his own thing.

I'm also wondering if the short week had a part in the poor performance. I remember thinking Tuesday that Tomlin looked tired which made sense as he said they didn't get in until like 5:30 in the morning.

Not a good thing by Hines, but looks like the entire team was frustrated yesterday--- they were extremely down during the postgame locker room interviews... any of you see Clark's comments? Basically conceded the division to Cincy.

Quote Originally Posted by pittfannyc View Post
    Not a good thing by Hines, but looks like the entire team was frustrated yesterday--- they were extremely down during the postgame locker room interviews... any of you see Clark's comments? Basically conceded the division to Cincy.
    Yeah, I'm not really sure that I like the undertone of the whole blame game stuff here. Even though Hines is right... that is stuff that usually can escalate and create internal problems.

On the other hand... that's frustration coming through at it's max, in which case, that's good. It's good to know that they aren't happy with what happened Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by pittfannyc View Post
    Has Logan ever taken a knee in the EZ???!!! No reason to take the ball out from so deep, and start us at our 14-15 !!!

Also, sometimes, the blocking wont be there--- it would be nice if he could make someone miss just once !!!
    This is Ligan's first season in the NFL, before that he played in the CFL where there is no taking a knee allowed. They have to run it... So I think just from his experience there and pure instinct, his first thought is to run. So, I can accept him not doing it, even if it drives me crazy. Experience in the NFL is going to get him downing the ball more.

It would be nice if we had a kicker that could get the ball into the endzone in kickoffs though

<< It would be nice if we had a kicker that could get the ball into the endzone in kickoffs though >>

At this point, I will settle for the 5-10 yard line !!!

The Steelers coverage team doesnt get to the return man until they are at the 30 !!!

He just seems to make poor decisions, like you said not kneeling down and fair catching at wrong times. I've also kept thinking all year he's going to break one, yet it never happens.
    I'll give you he's better than what we've had the last few years, but I just don't know if it's enough improvement to not pick up someone who can cover on KR.

We could always cut Ratliffe and sign Woods off the practice squad it isn't like Ratliffe brings anything. I would have said we could resign Madison but I think I saw him playing for the Colts tonight.
    Anthony Madison was playing last night. I forgot that he went to a team, so that suggestion thast was brought up isn't going to happen.

Like I said in a previous post, the CFL experience is why Logan runs balls out of the endzone. With some experience he'll start downing the ball.

As for breaking one... I keep waiting for it as well. Sometimes it's just flat out tough to do when you don't have great blocking in front of you. That Logan has a decent return average is good enough right now. Maybe experience and what not will lead to an actual return.

Speaking of kickoff returns... that's something the Steelers don't do that often in general. Randel El only had ONE kickoff return for a touchdown. He had 4 punt returns for TDs... Right now, I'm just happy to see a 25.5 return average. We've had it worse for years.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information