Thread: Steelers Notebook: Colbert quietly team's 1st GM

Threads : 691

Default Steelers Notebook: Colbert quietly team's 1st GM

Steelers Notebook: Colbert quietly team's 1st GM
    Monday, August 29, 2011
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    The Steelers make known their big promotions by saying nothing. They have done that again through their usual means of merely changing a title in their media guide.

Kevin Colbert has been promoted to general manager by the team, becoming the first to hold that title in Steelers history. He held the title of director of football operations since he was hired in 2000, a title Tom Donahoe also held as his predecessor.

The team has had three presidents -- Art Rooney Sr., Dan Rooney and now Art Rooney II -- but never a general manager. The Steelers have had player personnel directors and director of football operations, but never a general manager. Years ago, Dan Rooney was asked why he did not have a general manager as many NFL teams had and he responded, "Because I am the general manager."

That title was never used, however, until now and it was merely slipped into their 2011 media guide, which is available only in digital version at the moment on the team's website.

There also is no elaboration as to the promotion, merely a title change for Colbert and a line in his biography that he is in "his first year as the team's general manager." That is the same way the Steelers announced that Art Rooney II had succeeded his father Dan as team president, and the same way they announced that Dan Rooney had succeeded his father Art Sr. as team president.

Colbert, 54, has directed the Steelers scouting and player personnel moves since he joined them Feb. 15, 2000, from the Detroit Lions as their pro scouting director for 10 years. He also was a college scout for the Miami Dolphins after getting his start as a scout with BLESTO under its director Jack Butler, one of two seniors nominees for the Pro Football Hall of Fame this year.

A Pittsburgh native, Colbert graduated from North Catholic High School and Robert Morris University.

Five players cut
    Five players were waived and rookie running back Baron Batch was placed on the team's injured reserve list Sunday as the Steelers pare their roster to get to the mandatory 80-player limit.

Released were tight end Vaughn Charlton, cornerback Kevin Dockery, wide receiver Eric Greenwood, wide receiver Kenneth Moore and tight end Miguel Chavis, who was waived/injured after sustaining a torn pectoral muscle Saturday night against the Atlanta Falcons.

The Steelers need to cut four more players by 4 p.m. Tuesday.

Batch, a seventh-round draft choice, tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his knee at practice at training camp several weeks ago.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11241...#ixzz1WQjDrpt5
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Steelers Notebook: Colbert quietly team's 1st GM

No real surprises there.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 60

I wonder why all of a sudden they promoted or gave him the title ? In anyevent I think Colbert has influenced this teams success. The fact that the Steelers hired a guy from the Lions, a team that has been known as losers for so many seasons tells me that, the Rooneys really know their stuff about the individuals. I probably would have stayed away from the guy because he wasn't apart of a winning organization.
    That reminds me of the time they did an NFL thing on Chuck Noll. An owner froma another team in the interview said, we hired a guy for head coach from the team that won the Super Bowl and the Steelers hired Chuck Noll from the team that lost the Super Bowl and look how it all turned out.
    I truly believe our team and orgabization is the elite team/organization of the NFL.

Threads : 182

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wonder why all of a sudden they promoted or gave him the title ? In anyevent I think Colbert has influenced this teams success. The fact that the Steelers hired a guy from the Lions, a team that has been known as losers for so many seasons tells me that, the Rooneys really know their stuff about the individuals. I probably would have stayed away from the guy because he wasn't apart of a winning organization.
    That reminds me of the time they did an NFL thing on Chuck Noll. An owner froma another team in the interview said, we hired a guy for head coach from the team that won the Super Bowl and the Steelers hired Chuck Noll from the team that lost the Super Bowl and look how it all turned out.
    I truly believe our team and orgabization is the elite team/organization of the NFL.
    to me a lot of it has to do with smarts and the impecable character of the person and how they view themselves and their ability to lead others. Humbleness, confidence and a person who is self-content speak volumes to me. I can guarentee you they went right to Dungy to ask about Tomlin too. The NFL is a pretty small fraternity and your reputation gets around very quickly given the coach to player 1 to many relationships that occur throughout the course of a given season.

I heard something recently from the wisconsin coach that Brett ?? told his asst coaches don't recruit anyone who you wouldn't let baby sit your kids in your own house. I thought that was a pretty good statement.

Threads : 186

Maybe it just NFL bureaucracy being enforced?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information