Thread: Steelers' Leftwich has surgery on broken arm

Threads : 691

Default Steelers' Leftwich has surgery on broken arm

Steelers' Leftwich has surgery on broken arm
    Monday, August 29, 2011
    By Ray Fittipaldo, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Reserve quarterback Byron Leftwich had surgery this afternoon to repair a fracture in his left arm, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said today after practice.

Leftwich, who was injured in Saturday night's preseason game against the Atlanta Falcons, was the backup to Ben Roethlisberger.

Tomlin said the team would not make a final determination about Leftwich's status with the team for another few days.

"We're going to wait until he comes out of surgery and let it calm down for a couple of days before we make that determination," Tomlin said.

Tomlin did not give Roethlisberger many snaps at practice today, giving them to Charlie Batch and Dennis Dixon. Tomlin said the new backup will not be determined until after the final preseason game against Carolina.

"We're determining that," Tomlin said. "That's part of what we're doing today. We're giving Charlie and Dennis a lot of work. We didn't give Ben a lot of work today and that's probably will be how it shakes out in the game.

"In terms of the pecking order with those two, we'll determine that as we get closer to game time. Then we'll make a determination after that game."

When asked if there was anything to be read into Batch taking all of the repetitions with the first-team today, Tomlin said "no."

Several other Steelers were held out of practice with injuries, including Maurkice Pouncey (ankle), Hines Ward (quadricep), Troy Polamalu (quadricep), Casey Hampton (elbow) and James Farrior.

"We'll take a look at these guys as we proceed through the week and make a determination as to whether they'll participate [against Carolina]."

Pouncey said before practice that there is pain in the ankle, but he vowed to return for the Sept. 11 regular-season opener against Baltimore.

Keenan Lewis, who injured a knee against Atlanta, participated in practice. Lewis said he has tendonitis in the knee, but it won't prevent him from playing.

The Steelers play at Carolina Thursday night.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11241...#ixzz1WRzlNvxD
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 164
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Steelers' Leftwich has surgery on broken arm

Wow, with that o-line and the fact Charlie Batch is made of glass, Dennis Dixon had better be ready for some snaps..
    "ARRRGGHHH THERE WILL BE MUTTON TONIGHT!" Said the Troll

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am thinking the O-Line is gonna step it up this year, just a feeling I have.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's good to see the team not rushing to show Lefty the door. The poor guy's been rather unfortunate the last few years (although, teaching him to slide not drop might help).

I have a suspicion that a lot of what happens next depends on Lefty's healing time and value to the team.

Poor old Broken Leftwrist...
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think they will waive him tho honestly. They can't really leave a roster spot open for him. I suspect waive and the. Resign when he heals. Or IR.

Threads : 413

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think they will waive him tho honestly. They can't really leave a roster spot open for him. I suspect waive and the. Resign when he heals. Or IR.
    I'm thinking IR. Chance they could lose him to another team, and although he seems to be very injury prone, I do think they'll need him next year. Batch can't play forever and Dixon is on a 1-yr deal. He wants more opportunity to play and might leave on his own. I said on another thread that the Steelers need to address the QB situation either in FA or next year's draft. The possibility exists that Ben could the ONLY QB next year. So for me, it's IR.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information