Thread: Pirates' plans for Cedeno unclear

Threads : 691

Default Pirates' plans for Cedeno unclear

Pirates' plans for Cedeno unclear; he wants to stay
    By Rob Biertempfel, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Monday, August 29, 2011

ST. LOUIS -- Shortstop Ronny Cedeno wants to stay with the Pirates next season.

"I'm happy here. I feel comfortable here," Cedeno said. "But I don't know what they're going to do with me. I don't know if they'll pick up my option, give me an extension or what. I can't control it. I'll play hard, and we'll see what kind of decision they make."

Cedeno, 28, last winter signed a $1.85 million, one-year contract to avoid arbitration. The deal includes a $3 million club option or a $200,000 buyout for 2012.

The option could have increased to as much as $5 million if he made up to 150 starts this season. But Cedeno, who spent three weeks on the disabled list with a concussion, cannot reach that level. He's made 101 starts with 29 games to go.

"We've still got two months left before we'll have to make a decision," general manager Neal Huntington said, noting the free-agent market doesn't open until after the World Series is over.

Would the Pirates have good options, either internally or externally, if they choose to cut ties with Cedeno?

"Probably both," Huntington said. "We're very pleased with Chase (d'Arnaud) in some areas, though he still has a way to go in others."

D'Arnaud, a rookie who plays shortstop and third base, is hitting .213 and has made seven errors in 27 games.

Other than potential free agents Jose Reyes and Jimmy Rollins, who both are out of the Pirates' price range, the shortstop market is bare. And unlike 15 years ago, when Derek Jeter, Nomar Garciaparra and Alex Rodriguez were breaking in, there doesn't seem to be a wave of high-impact shortstop talent on the horizon.

Cedeno is hitting .256 with two home runs and 30 RBI, and has a career-high 24 walks. Over his past 35 games, he is batting .298.

Among National League shortstops (minimum 350 at-bats), Cedeno ranks 12th with a .300 on-base percentage and 12th with a .644 OPS.

"I think I could do better," Cedeno said. "Sometimes, you go up and sometimes you go down. I've got to keep my mind strong and keep playing. That's it."

Manager Clint Hurdle believes Cedeno has taken some steps forward this season.

"We've got to figure out, is he the guy for the future or do we have to go find another?" Hurdle said. "We've all worked hard with Ronny, and he's been receptive to the challenges. But how much longer do you ask, 'Is there more there, or is this what we get? And if this is what we get, is it enough?' "

The Pirates have two months to reach a conclusion.

Read more: Pirates' plans for Cedeno unclear; he wants to stay - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1WS0vEE8k
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pirates' plans for Cedeno unclear

"We've got to figure out, is he the guy for the future or do we have to go find another?" Hurdle said. "We've all worked hard with Ronny, and he's been receptive to the challenges. But how much longer do you ask, 'Is there more there, or is this what we get? And if this is what we get, is it enough?' "
    This is probably one of the best questions out there.

Honestly, Cedeno is hitting at about the exact same pace (less power this year) as he has his previous 2 seasons. If there's locked up potential, it''s not being unlocked by 2 different Hitting coaches and by Ronny himself. Defensively the guy is good when his mind isn't messing him up.

the question of more importance is what do the Pirates think of d'Arnaud right now? they mentioned d'Arnaud's 7 errors in 27 games but it's actually 4 in 15 games at SS. Not much better. Free agency =

Clint Barmes (33)
    Yuniesky Betancourt (30) - $6MM club option with a $2MM buyout
    Orlando Cabrera (37)
    Jamey Carroll (37)
    Ronny Cedeno (29) - $3MM club option with a $200K buyout
    Craig Counsell (41)
    Rafael Furcal (34) - $12MM club option with a $1.3MM buyout
    Alex Gonzalez (34)
    Jerry Hairston Jr. (36)
    Omar Infante (30)
    Cesar Izturis (32)
    John McDonald (37)
    Nick Punto (34)
    Edgar Renteria (35)
    Jose Reyes (29)
    Jimmy Rollins (33)
    Ramon Santiago (32)
    Marco Scutaro (36) - $6MM club option/$3MM player option with a $1.5MM buyout
    Miguel Tejada (38)
    Jack Wilson (34)

I think that 1B and where they feel that PEdro is in terms of playing in the big leagues, 3B for next year are bigger issues. Cedeno is about a .255 hitter which puts him smack dab right in the middle of the pack for Short Stops in Baseball just looking at an overall teams based result for SS and 6/7, right in the middle in the NL. I don't see Ronny Cedeno as a worry. Whatever he gets paid isn't going to be that much, so retaining him until better options come is fine with me. If they feel that d'Arnaud can replace Cedeno's production offensively and defensively with the potential for more, then that's fine as well
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 45
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is probably one of the best questions out there.

Honestly, Cedeno is hitting at about the exact same pace (less power this year) as he has his previous 2 seasons. If there's locked up potential, it''s not being unlocked by 2 different Hitting coaches and by Ronny himself. Defensively the guy is good when his mind isn't messing him up.

the question of more importance is what do the Pirates think of d'Arnaud right now? they mentioned d'Arnaud's 7 errors in 27 games but it's actually 4 in 15 games at SS. Not much better. Free agency =

Clint Barmes (33)
    Yuniesky Betancourt (30) - $6MM club option with a $2MM buyout
    Orlando Cabrera (37)
    Jamey Carroll (37)
    Ronny Cedeno (29) - $3MM club option with a $200K buyout
    Craig Counsell (41)
    Rafael Furcal (34) - $12MM club option with a $1.3MM buyout
    Alex Gonzalez (34)
    Jerry Hairston Jr. (36)
    Omar Infante (30)
    Cesar Izturis (32)
    John McDonald (37)
    Nick Punto (34)
    Edgar Renteria (35)
    Jose Reyes (29)
    Jimmy Rollins (33)
    Ramon Santiago (32)
    Marco Scutaro (36) - $6MM club option/$3MM player option with a $1.5MM buyout
    Miguel Tejada (38)
    Jack Wilson (34)

I think that 1B and where they feel that PEdro is in terms of playing in the big leagues, 3B for next year are bigger issues. Cedeno is about a .255 hitter which puts him smack dab right in the middle of the pack for Short Stops in Baseball just looking at an overall teams based result for SS and 6/7, right in the middle in the NL. I don't see Ronny Cedeno as a worry. Whatever he gets paid isn't going to be that much, so retaining him until better options come is fine with me. If they feel that d'Arnaud can replace Cedeno's production offensively and defensively with the potential for more, then that's fine as well
    I tend to agree. If they feel d'Arnaud or Mercer are not ready to be a regular at short, by all means, pick up the option. We could do much worse. For me, the focus should be the corner infielders and maybe a starter. I'm not even sure we need a starter at the price range we'll be shopping in. But pitching depth wouldn't hurt.

Threads : 31

Cedeno's defensive ability alone is worth picking up the option. I haven't been real impressed with d'Arnaud., at least enough to hand him a starting gig on the big club. From what I hear of Mercer he may be the better prospect but is still a year away. The bigger question may be if they pick up Cedeno's option where do they assign the other guys? Could there be a trade in the winds?

Threads : 691

If it were up to me I'd keep Cedeno. His potental has always been talked about,but I think he's about as good as he's going to get,and while not great, is more than good enough. d'Arnaud other than being able to run fairly well,doesn't impress me.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 138

Dejan has said on multiple occasions that he does not believe Cedeno will be back because he is not Hurdle's type of player. Given the potential replacements, not bringing back Cedeno would be a huge mistake.

Maybe this is "what we get" and we can stop hoping for Cedeno to fulfill his potential. However, at this point Cedeno is a serviceable big league shortstop.

From my couch-potato point of view, D'Arnaud is not a potential ML SS. He has no range. From what have observed and read, Cedeno and Pedro Ciriaco are the only guys in the Pirate organization that can field the position on a regular basis at the ML level. If Cedeno isn't Hurdle's guy, then they ought to give Ciriaco an extended look in September to see what they have.

Threads : 277

I'd keep Cedeno and put my FA money into a 1B and 3B.

Unless, they decided to go all out and try to sign Reyes.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Weren't the pirates rumored to be interested in Omar Infante before the deadline? There could be a possibility. Not that he's a TON better, but just throwing out a possibility.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Of the free agents on that list, I'd rather stick with Cedeno. I really would like to see how good he could be if he could focus long enough to put all his tools to use. He has 15-20 home run power but more than likely it will never be seen because of subpar plate discipline. If he could improve it, he'd be one of the top short stops in the game.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 21

i don't think cedno deserves to be back he is nothing special. I understand that Chase has work to do but he has to potential to just sit on the bench. If they decide to bring in a cheap vet to compete like Punto or Infante for a year than great.
    Last edited by Hittman; Aug-30-2011 at 07:18 AM.

Threads : 5
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm curious about the "he's not a Hurdle type guy." It seems that in the past Cedeno has had some mentally lazy issues. But he seems to have shown some significant improvements in hitting, drawing walks and even defense, although he still shows some lapses from time to time. Do you think Hurdle's quotes about him are designed to keep motivating him or do you think they've about given up on him, and if so why?
    "Work fast, throw strikes, change speeds"--Ray Miller

Threads : 27
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Clint Barmes will be brought in......in addition to the Bucs picking up Cedeno's option.

Threads : 122

The pproblem with the pirates is you could take the word cedeno and replace it with 90 percent of the names on their roster.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information