Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legursky leaps Hills on O-line depth chart

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Legursky leaps Hills on O-line depth chart

Legursky leaps Hills on O-line depth chart
    By Scott Brown and Mark Kaboly, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Steelers may have quietly settled on a starter at right guard.

Doug Legursky is listed as No. 1 at right guard on the Steelers' updated depth chart, a week after Tony Hills held the spot.

A change to the depth chart is not uncommon, but the one at right guard came after Hills had said he thought the coaches have already decided on a starter at the position.

"You'll have to wait and see," he said before practice yesterday.

Hills has started the past two games at right guard. Coach Mike Tomlin said he started against the Falcons last Saturday so coaches could get more of a look at him at the position. Hills played sparingly at right guard in an Aug. 18 game against Philadelphia because of injuries to left tackles Jonathan Scott and Marcus Gilbert.

Legursky had been listed as second-team center. Trai Essex, who re-signed with the Steelers listed week, is now listed as second-team, behind Maurkice Pouncey.

Backup QB battle

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger mostly watched practice Monday, and for good reason.

Tomlin has to decide who is Roethlisberger's primary backup, with Byron Leftwich sidelined indefinitely after breaking his upper left arm Saturday night. Batch and Dixon split snaps yesterday, but Tomlin said nothing should be read into the fact that Batch ran the first-team offense.

Tomlin said the two will battle for the No. 2 job this week. A "final determination," he said, will be made after the Steelers play their final preseason game Thursday night against the host Carolina Panthers.

Leftwich underwent surgery yesterday, and Tomlin said the Steelers are going to "let it calm down for a couple of days before we get to a determination" on the veteran's status.

If the Steelers place Leftwich on injured reserve, his season is over.

The Steelers could "waive/injure" Leftwich, and if he clears waivers his rights would still belong to them. Doing this would allow Leftwich to return at some point this season if he is healthy enough to do so.

Pouncey's ankle woes

Pouncey didn't practice yesterday after hurting his left ankle in the Steelers' 34-16 win over the Atlanta Falcons. The Pro Bowl center said the injury isn't serious, though he conceded that it is a lingering one.

Pouncey has been hindered by the same ankle he sprained last January, an injury that caused him to miss the Super Bowl. Pouncey said he has been dealing with calcium build-up in his ankle.

"Once it breaks down, it gets sore," he said, "but it's all right, not that bad. I keep going through the same process, but hopefully I'll get through it soon."

Tomlin said a decision on whether Pouncey will play Thursday has not been made. In addition to Pouncey, wide receivers Hines Ward (quad) and Jerricho Cotchery (hamstring), strong safety Troy Polamalu (quad) and nose tackle Casey Hampton (elbow) didn't practice yesterday.

McFadden eager to return

Cornerback Bryant McFadden, sidelined for most of the preseason with what he said is a torn hamstring, practiced yesterday. The key as to whether McFadden plays against the Panthers is how he feels today.

"And also Wednesday," McFadden said. "I've got to be smart."

It has been a preseason of stops and starts for McFadden. with more of the latter for the eighth-year veteran. He is trying to work his way back from the first serious hamstring injury of his career, and the 6-foot, 190-pounder is trying to balance pushing himself without overdoing it.

McFadden said he wants to play Thursday so he can work on his game conditioning.

Colbert's new title

The Steelers promoted Kevin Colbert to general manager, making the Pittsburgh native the first to hold that title in Steelers history.

Colbert, a North Catholic graduate, has held the title of director of football operations since he was hired in 2000.

There was no announcement made by the team. The change in titles was listed in the media guide, which is only available digitally until the start of the season because of the NFL lockout.

Colbert first joined the Steelers in 2000 after spending 10 years as the Detroit Lions' pro scouting director.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1WWI29gjc
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 3263

Default Re: Legursky leaps Hills on O-line depth chart

Good news on injury front
    Tue Aug 30, 2011
    Mike Bires mbires@timesonline.com

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4e5c30405aeca.preview-300.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	3090PITTSBURGH - Even though several Steelers didn't practice Monday, there was actually encouraging news on the injury front.

Center Maurkice Pouncey, who left Saturday's preseason game after aggravating an ankle injury from last year, wasn't seriously hurt.

Pouncey probably won't play Thursday in the fourth and final exhibition. But he has no doubt he'll be ready for the Sept. 11 opener in Baltimore.

"The only way I'd miss that game is if I broke it again," said Pouncey, who missed Super Bowl XLV with a hairline fracture in his left ankle.

With Pouncey questionable at best for Thursday's game against Carolina, Trai Essex will likely start at center. Essex has played tackle and guard over the past six years, but is now listed as the backup center on this week's depth chart.

Pouncey was among the Steelers who missed practice Monday for various minor aches and pains. That list included quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, wide receiver Hines Ward, nose tackle Casey Hampton, strong safety Troy Polamalu and linebacker James Farrior.

Also sitting out was rookie linebacker Chris Carter, who pulled a hamstring in the win over the Falcons.

But back on the practice field were cornerbacks Bryant McFadden, a starter last year, and Cortez Allen, a rookie. Both have yet to play in any of the first three preseason games because of hamstring pulls. But both expect to play Thursday.

Also, cornerback Kennan Lewis practiced even though he left Saturday's game with a knee injury.

"Luckily my injury wasn't serious," Lewis said. "It was scary there for a minute. But I'm fine."

ITCHING FOR ACTION

Wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders also declared himself ready to play his first preseason game. He's been sidelined since the first week of training camp with a stress fracture in his left foot.

Last year, Sanders was among a draft class that included fellow wideout Antonio Brown. They were drafted in the third and sixth rounds, respectively.

So far this preseason, Brown has been outstanding with team highs in catches (nine), receiving yards (230) and touchdowns (three).

"I want to play Thursday, but it's not because of how well Antonio is doing," Sanders said. "I know people are always comparing him and I because we came in together. I'm happy for my guy. But I just want to get out there because I'm a competitor.

"There's a lot of good football being played by our guys this preseason, and I want to be part of it."

LEGURSKY NEXT

The experiment at right guard continues Thursday.

As the Steelers try to find a replacement for Ramon Foster, who started at right guard for the second half of last season, it's Doug Legursky's turn.

Tony Hills, a seldom-used tackle the past three years, started at right guard against the Falcons. Now it's Legursky who gets one more chance to win the job. Legursky started the first preseason game at right guard.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/lo...a54a56162.html
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Big Legursky did a fine job just about everywhere last year - he deserves a shot. It'll be interesting to see who does and who doesn't start on Thursday.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 277

I like the kid, but he still has to show he can move those big NTs in our conference or combine and do the same plus knock down a second level would be tackler.

It's a shame he isn't three inches taller and 20 pounds heavier.

I like the kid, but he still has to show he can move those big NTs in our conference or combine and do same plus then knock down a second level would eb tackler.

They cut NT Gray, too, today.

He was my guy to stick on the PS.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by War Machine View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Big Legursky did a fine job just about everywhere last year - he deserves a shot. It'll be interesting to see who does and who doesn't start on Thursday.
    Yes he did. He deserved to have the RG job handed to him after the way he performed in the Playoffs last year filling in everywhere. I felt it to be ridiculous that someone could play as well as Legursky and not be given the open slot on the line. There's no bigger audition than the AFC Championship Game and Superbowl. Scrimmages in the Preseason don't say **** like the Playoffs and Superbowl

Quote Originally Posted by DCBILL View Post
    I like the kid, but he still has to show he can move those big NTs in our conference or combine and do the same plus knock down a second level would be tackler.

What are you, a senseless national media parrot? Only the national media and those that parrot their words say that Doug Legursky can't move big nose Tackles.

Did you all flat out ignore how Legursky was able to handle without much issue, Green Bay's 337 lbs NT - B.J. Raji? Going into the SB every national media talking head said Legursky would get man handled by Raji and it never happened and Raji was pretty much a non factor. Can't say the same about Ramon Foster's performance but... Legursky's play in the SB made the loss of Pouncey easier to handle and that is a big time credit to Legursky.

After Pouncey went down mid way through the 1st Quarter against the Jets in the AFCCG, Legursky came in and we continued to run the ball just as well without Pouncey as Legursky handled 325 lbs. Sione Pouha of the New york Jets.

There's really nothing left for Legursky to prove. He's proven that he can get the job done against good - great players in real games in the highest pressure situations and without much preparation to boot.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Ooops. They last time I disagreed with you, I had to buy the Bucco TV package.

But, I am ready for you this time. I've had the NFL package for over a dozen years.

I guess my only response is to ask if DL is the natural lock is why didn't the coaching staff just put him there from Day 1 and ignore all of this folderol with Foster, Hills, draftee Williams, and even--for a while--talking about Colon at RG?

Somebody, more qualified than I, had some second or third thoughts.

And while I want the best athlete to play a majority of the time, if it is close, there's something to having Legursky on the bench able to fill in as a backup at three positions (both guards and center).

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DCBILL View Post
    Ooops. They last time I disagreed with you, I had to buy the Bucco TV package.

But, I am ready for you this time. I've had the NFL package for over a dozen years.

I guess my only response is to ask if DL is the natural lock is why didn't the coaching staff just put him there from Day 1 and ignore all of this folderol with Foster, Hills, draftee Williams, and even--for a while--talking about Colon at RG?

Somebody, more qualified than I, had some second or third thoughts.

And while I want the best athlete to play a majority of the time, if it is close, there's something to having Legursky on the bench able to fill in as a backup at three positions (both guards and center).
    While I felt that the job Kugler did on the OL last year was incredible, I also don't feel like he really got a good chance to quite see everyone and see a true chemistry because of all of the injuries. I think he wanted to see Hills. I think Tomlin and Colbert wanted to see Hills. Remember, Foster didn't start out at RG last season, Essex did and then for a lot fo the season Legursky was filling in everywhere. He was valuable in that sense that he could fill in everywhere but the guy deserves to start and let's be honest from a money stand point, a super Sub/backup won't make **** compared to a starter and claiming that he's more valuable as a backup doesn't help doug Legursky and it's not fair to him either when it's obvious that he can start and do well doing it..

how ****ed would you be if you see the team hand out the starting RT job to willie Colon along with a $5.8 million per eyar contract after he sat on the sideliens all season injured and you're told that you might be more valuable to the team as a backup, a backup that will never ever get the chance to earn the big money that a starter gets?

If you want the best wouldn't you want the guy that was able to play 2 different positions between the AFCCG and Superbowl and do a great job while doing it? What the **** has Tony Hills done except ride the bench and never been able to crack the starting lineup or even get important backup duty when injuries have plagued the line?

the coaching staff themselves didn't really believe that Legursky could handle the big guys until he did. Now that can't come into question. Her didn't just handle some big guy in a meaningless game against a scrub team like the Bengals for example, he did it against the Ravens, Jets and Packers in the Playoffs and Super Bowl.

As I argued with someone else briefly on Google+ at one point, this coaching staff and any coaching staff, this management team and any management team will never back the right or best decisions all of the time. It's impossible. If they were perfect, every draft pick would be a stud every season, we'd have the best at every position and life would be peachy. The reality is that there's hits and misses everywhere. If you asked me, I believe Colbert badly overestimates the talent in our Secondary and the ability of the bums he drafted in the middle rounds to solve big holes. I believe that Colbert, Tomlin and Kugler overvalue and overestimate Willie Colon's skill and talent level especially as a Tackle. I believe that they also underestimate Doug Legursky just like they overestimated Sean Mahan being able to play Center, Dennis Dixon being a competent NFL quarterback etc...

I'm not saying that I am right, I'm just saying, that any of us could be right or wrong, it's not like Management is perfect in all of their evaluations.

Personally I feel like Doug Legursky proved himself on the biggest stage and should've been handled an interior line position that he played superbly in the playoffs and superbowl. I feel like if any competition and position should've been evaluated more carefully it should've been the LT position that they handed to Willie Colon and dumped a buttload of unearned and undeserved money on
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 82

I think it's the right move. I have been on Legs side for a long time. My only issue is that he is actually the back up center. I feel like that could be a problem down the road. At that point we could more afford to lose Pouncey than Legursky because We can fill in the RG position but then we would be going in without a back up center. You have to have a dedicated backup center IMO. Or at least a guy that is backing up the interior from the bench imo.

Threads : 60

Spot on Beezy.

Threads : 2

Good for Legursky. I agree, I think he's earned his chance to be the starter.

As for the need for a backup center, I'd say lets see who falls from other teams. No reason not to pick up a vet on a one year deal at a reasonable price.

I won't belabor the point save to note that the coaches' decision to try everyone at RG occurred after the Super Bowl where DL played well.

Lastly, in a few days all 30 teams will have to dump @27 players each to get to 53.

That's a little over 800 NFL job seekers.

There has to be some talent there if we have a deficit anywhere on our squad.

Threads : 60

Kip, great post and great questions or thoughts you raised. First off I'm glad they finally recognized Legs value. Secondly, how do you feel about Hill ? I think so far he has been a waste or at least received too much expectation of his true value that many seemed to expect from him. I'm like all you fans when I say, " I want all our guys to develope and turnout to be a force for the team. "
    As far as I remember they brought Hills in as a tackle so is this a moot point now for him ? Looks like he can't make it as a starting guard either or does this guy have injuries, need more time or will he ever be of any starting value to the team ? If he isn't giving them whatever is required/needed, how much longer do you give this guy a paycheck ?
    Maybe I'm being too harsh or ecpecting too much ?
    PS. Am I correct with thinking he was a tackle or was expected to be a tackle ?

Threads : 215

I have had a Legursky jersey for a while.............................nuff said!
    Remember, that which hath not killed you, will try again...................

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information