Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Reduce Roster to 80

Threads : 186

Default Steelers Reduce Roster to 80

The Steelers released four players today, reducing their roster to the league-mandated 80 players prior to today’s 4 p.m. deadline.

The four players released include linebacker Chris Ellis, wide receiver Terrence McCrae, cornerback Niles Brinkley and defensive tackle Anthony Gray.

The Steelers play at the Carolina Panthers on Thursday in the preseason finale for both teams. Pittsburgh must reduce its roster to 53 players by Saturday at 6 p.m.

Threads : 60

Default Re: Steelers Reduce Roster to 80

Just heard the Steelers released Swayze Water the kicker

Threads : 18
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

To me that is early news or an early cut. I think that will help the kid out possibly if other teams are looking before they make their moves with their kickers.

Threads : 691

On the Steelers: Punter, NT cuts left for today 5 more cuts to come today
    Saturday, September 03, 2011
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Peter Diana/Post-GazetteAntonio Brown collected two 15-yard unsportsmanlike penalties in two games this preseason.The Steelers made many cuts Friday, but the deepest ones will come by 6 p.m. today, when they must knock five more players from their roster to reach the 53-man limit.

Familiar names in jeopardy could be punter Daniel Sepulveda and nose tackle Chris Hoke. The Steelers still have two punters on the roster and eight defensive linemen. Jeremy Kapinos is trying to take Sepulveda's job, and two youngsters, nose tackle Steve McLendon and rookie free agent Jarrett Crittenton, have their sights on Hoke's. They won't keep eight linemen, so at least one must go and perhaps two.

Two other positions that shape up as intriguing heading into the final cuts are cornerback and tight end. They have seven cornerbacks left, including their draft picks in the third and fourth rounds this year, Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen. They usually keep six, although they could add one if they deduct from another position.

One tight end must go, either veteran John Gilmore, signed near the start of training camp as a free agent, or rookie Wesleye Saunders, who has been impressive as a receiver, including his 15-yard touchdown catch Thursday night against Carolina.

They are set at running back with four, quarterback with three, linebacker with eight and safety with four. They seemingly are set at wide receiver with six, which includes special teams contributor Arnaz Battle. They have 10 offensive linemen left.

One quarterback had to go and, as was the case last year, an injury determined that. They placed Byron Leftwich on injured reserve, ending his season. His left upper arm was broken in the third preseason game, and the prognosis for his return would have been measured in months, not weeks.

The 21 players released Friday included one rookie draft pick, offensive guard Keith Williams, taken in the sixth round from Nebraska. Previously, seventh-round pick Barron Batch was placed on injured reserve. Five draft picks remain on the roster.

The players released Friday: Linebackers Baraka Atkins, Mario Harvey, Chris McCoy and Mortty Ivy, defensive lineman Corbin Bryant, defensive backs Brett Greenwood, Macho Harris, Donovan Warren and Da'Mon Cromartie-Smith, running backs James Johnson and John Clay, offensive linemen Williams, Colin Miller, Kyle Jolly, John Malecki, and Trevis Turner, wide receivers Armand Robinson, Wes Lyons and Tyler Grisham, tight end Jamie McCoy and kicker Swayze Waters.

One punter must go
    After Sepulveda re-signed with the Steelers this summer as a free agent, it was a foregone conclusion that he would return to punt for them after his second ACL surgery in two years.

No one bothered to ask Kapinos what he thought.

Kapinos signed to punt for them last December after Sepulveda's knee injury, and he did so through the Super Bowl. It's down to the wire now on which one they will keep.

Some other team is going to get a good punter for nothing early next week because the Steelers cannot keep both. The signs were ominous Thursday night in Charlotte for Sepulveda.

It's not just that Kapinos booted both of his punts 63 yards, one without a return, and had a net average of 59 yards compared to Sepulveda's two that averaged 40.5 gross, 31.5 net.

The other bad sign for Sepulveda was Kapinos held the ball for No. 1 kicker Shaun Suisham while Sepulveda held for backup kicker Waters, who was cut Friday.

Why would Mike Tomlin not have Sepulveda holding for Suisham unless his job were in serious jeopardy?

Sepulveda and Suisham were together for just two games last season, and they needed all the real-time practice they could get. Thursday night was the perfect opportunity, and they did not do it.

It looked more as if Tomlin were getting Kapinos ready to hold for the regular season and be his punter.

Either way, someone will get a good kicker off the waiver wire or as a free agent next week.

Brown's penalties irk Tomlin
    Tomlin was not happy with Antonio Brown's second 15-yard unsportsmanlike penalty in two games after a touchdown was scored. He was hit with one for taunting as he pointed the football toward the Falcons on way to a 77-yard touchdown reception in the third preseason game. Thursday night in Charlotte, he joined in to celebrate Jonathan Dwyer's 50-yard touchdown run and was hit with another flag.

"No excuses, man, I got to lock in and be disciplined," Brown said. "I knew the rule. I was having too much fun. Really, no excuses."

No rest Sunday
    The Steelers have off Saturday and return to practice Sunday and Monday.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11246...#ixzz1Wu0fIkNP
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Thanks for posting the info.

I'm surprised they let go of Ivy. I would have liked to seen Lyons remain on the team being a6'-8" target for Ben but, I'm sure they would have determined his worth during practice.
    Question, is Keyshawn Fox still on the team or is he playing for the Skins or somewhere else ?

I haven't seen him and while watching the Skins-Bucs game I seen a player named Fox and it got me thinking.

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BATMAN View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks for posting the info.

I'm surprised they let go of Ivy. I would have liked to seen Lyons remain on the team being a6'-8" target for Ben but, I'm sure they would have determined his worth during practice.
    Question, is Keyshawn Fox still on the team or is he playing for the Skins or somewhere else ?

I haven't seen him and while watching the Skins-Bucs game I seen a player named Fox and it got me thinking.
    I heard that tall dood was useless. He could be 8 foot tall but if he ain't a football player then forget it. We have some really talented receivers. They may be shrimps but they are **** good and there is no room for project.

Yeah Fox has been gone. He is with the Skins I think.

Threads : 277

I am betting Lyons winds up on the PS, along with a QB (have no idea who) who has been cut by another team.

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    I heard that tall dood was useless. He could be 8 foot tall but if he ain't a football player then forget it. We have some really talented receivers. They may be shrimps but they are **** good and there is no room for project.

Yeah Fox has been gone. He is with the Skins I think.

I like the bats comment that, the coaches probably know better of Lyon,s talents during practice that lead to him being cut.

Fox was a good player that I knew could be a starter elsewhere. I kind of thought he was always getting hurt or maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

On Lyons, I am pretty sure I read a comment somewhere along the line of someone watching him in college that the guy wasn't too good. Either way the competition for WR is just too strong. That is a good problem to have.

It is cool we have all these weapons at receiver. At one time that was far from the case.

Ha Ced Wilson. Enough said.

Davenport, Blackwell, Troy Edwards are just three guys that come to mind that the Steelers wasted a lot of time on. I don't know if they wasted much time with Edwards but, they wasted a first round pick on him. From what I remember he was too stupid to learn the plays.

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    I like the bats comment that, the coaches probably know better of Lyon,s talents during practice that lead to him being cut.

Fox was a good player that I knew could be a starter elsewhere. I kind of thought he was always getting hurt or maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

Didn't Fox do some screw ups during the Super Bowl ?

Yeah Fox had some booboos but I thought he was a solid tackler. Young gut too. Oh well.

Butler goes to Steelers West...........Imagine that

I know a lot of people liked Butler but he wasn't the answer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information