Thread: Pirate ticket price increase

Threads : 197

Default Pirate ticket price increase

All the press releases and articles out today say that ticket prices have increased by an average of 81 cents for 2012. That sounds like there's basically no change, but it's pretty deceptive in terms of what you'll actually end up spending when you buy tickets next year. I tried to put together a table based on the charts they have on the website of what the actual difference will be per ticket depending on which section you like to sit in.

All numbers here reflect advance tickets, which I believe are the most common sales.

Section
    Change
    PBC (A-C) $52 $55 +3
    PBC (D-K) $47 $50 +3
    Dugout box $35 $45 +10
    Field level box $26 $35 +9
    Baseline box $26 $32 +6
    Lower infield box $27 $35 +8
    Upper infield box $27 $33 +6
    Lower L/R field box $24 $28 +4
    Upper L/R field box
    $24 $24 0
    Lower outfield box
    $20 $28 +8
    Upper outfield box
    $20 $24 +4
    Outfield reserved
    $17 $20 +3
    Lower infield grandstand
    $16 $16 0
    Upper infield grandstand
    $16 $10 -6
    Lower L/R grandstand
    $12 $16 +4
    Upper L/R grandstand
    $12 $10 -2
    Lower outfield grandstand
    $9 $16 +7
    Upper L/R grandstand
    $9 $10 +1
    Bleacher reserved
    $14 $17 +3

I didn't see them list the Bleacher GA price anywhere. In 2011 it was $9. I also didn't see the deck seats listed. I believe they were $12 in 2011.

One thing to note that's way different from last year is that they now charge you differently based on row. They basically split the sections in half and sections marked "lower" are in the front half, "Upper" in the back half.

I believe the "average" ticket price must in some way factor in season ticket packages, because I can't see how the numbers released are anywhere close to accurate.
    Last edited by jnn123; Aug-30-2011 at 08:01 PM.

Threads : 413

Default Re: Pirate ticket price increase

I would venture to guess that Pirate tickets are still one of lower priced tickets out there.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Threads : 21

if they spend moneu wisely and put a winner on the field they will sell out every night. We should have a pay roll simular to the brewers and reds. 70 mill next year. pens ans steelers sell out all the time. 12 mill for Aram 3 year, 8 mill for Sizemore(1 year) CJ willson 12 mill 4 year. Wood, Jones, Paul Harrison bench. Presley is traded for best deal. Sizemore gets flipped at deadline to bring up Marte, Paul gets moved also to bring up gorky

Tabata RF

Chase SS

MCcuthen CF

Aram 3rd

Walker 2nd

Sizemore LF

Alverez 1st

Fort/JJ catching

CJ Willson
    morton
    Mcdonald
    Karestens
    Lincoln

Threads : 45
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hittman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    if they spend moneu wisely and put a winner on the field they will sell out every night. We should have a pay roll simular to the brewers and reds. 70 mill next year. pens ans steelers sell out all the time. 12 mill for Aram 3 year, 8 mill for Sizemore(1 year) CJ willson 12 mill 4 year. Wood, Jones, Paul Harrison bench. Presley is traded for best deal. Sizemore gets flipped at deadline to bring up Marte, Paul gets moved also to bring up gorky

Tabata RF

Chase SS

MCcuthen CF

Aram 3rd

Walker 2nd

Sizemore LF

Alverez 1st

Fort/JJ catching

CJ Willson
    morton
    Mcdonald
    Karestens
    Lincoln
    You won't even be in the ballpark for CJ Wilson. He'll get north of 100 mill. If Sizemore signs a one year deal, it will be with Cleveland. If we're giving out 12 mill a year to a position player, I'm hoping it's for McCutchen.

Threads : 21

Quote Originally Posted by indybucfan View Post
    You won't even be in the ballpark for CJ Wilson. He'll get north of 100 mill. If Sizemore signs a one year deal, it will be with Cleveland. If we're giving out 12 mill a year to a position player, I'm hoping it's for McCutchen.
    The point is we need a bat that can threat/ **** off Alverez. I agree that McCuthen should be taken care of first then Walker but I dont think you can get McCuthen to sign long term if you dont improve on spending at the major league level. Mccuthen should get a little more than Jay bruce got at 50 mill over 5 years and he is clearly the best player we had since Bonds and failure to sign him long term would kill any and all hope that fans have of the pirates brass. Sizemore is coming off 3 knee injuries so and I doubt the Indians pick up his 9 mill option if they do then Kubel/Cuddyer/Quienten maybe in play. If they can not get eather of those guys then bring back ludwick on a one year deal. Doumit is done here so we will save money on is option. Maholm may get resigned to a lesser contract and be a solid number 3 cause Locke and company need another full year in AAA. Presley is better serverd for us as trade bait to get a young a 1stman gabby sanchez or logan Morrison type. 43 mill added to the payroll 2 of the core signed long term and a real shot at the playoffs next year. Presley Colton cain and korria traded for whatever package we can get that includes a young 1st or 3rd prospect. Wood,Harrison,Jones, Paul/cedno/chase/J.J

So
    11 mill for McCuthen 5 seasons
    8 mill for walker 5 seasons (Hometown discount)
    10-12 Mill for a bat
    10-12 mill for a pitcher Burle and Wilson are the best 2 FA in our price range

Threads : 1
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We need bats that can threaten National League pitchers. One bat won't **** off Alvarez. You need more than one or two bats to compete at this level.

Presley would be lucky to land us Lyle Overbay. He's not that good. He may be a poor team's Brett Gardner. And Walker ain't worth 8 mill yet and probably never will be.

Threads : 1817

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    All the press releases and articles out today say that ticket prices have increased by an average of 81 cents for 2012. That sounds like there's basically no change, but it's pretty deceptive in terms of what you'll actually end up spending when you buy tickets next year. I tried to put together a table based on the charts they have on the website of what the actual difference will be per ticket depending on which section you like to sit in.

All numbers here reflect advance tickets, which I believe are the most common sales.

Section
    Change
    PBC (A-C) $52 $55 +3
    PBC (D-K) $47 $50 +3
    Dugout box $35 $45 +10
    Field level box $26 $35 +9
    Baseline box $26 $32 +6
    Lower infield box $27 $35 +8
    Upper infield box $27 $33 +6
    Lower L/R field box $24 $28 +4
    Upper L/R field box
    $24 $24 0
    Lower outfield box
    $20 $28 +8
    Upper outfield box
    $20 $24 +4
    Outfield reserved
    $17 $20 +3
    Lower infield grandstand
    $16 $16 0
    Upper infield grandstand
    $16 $10 -6
    Lower L/R grandstand
    $12 $16 +4
    Upper L/R grandstand
    $12 $10 -2
    Lower outfield grandstand
    $9 $16 +7
    Upper L/R grandstand
    $9 $10 +1
    Bleacher reserved
    $14 $17 +3

I didn't see them list the Bleacher GA price anywhere. In 2011 it was $9. I also didn't see the deck seats listed. I believe they were $12 in 2011.

One thing to note that's way different from last year is that they now charge you differently based on row. They basically split the sections in half and sections marked "lower" are in the front half, "Upper" in the back half.

I believe the "average" ticket price must in some way factor in season ticket packages, because I can't see how the numbers released are anywhere close to accurate.
    It looks like they are comining the L/R Grandstand and Outfield Grandtsand seats together as far as Price is concerned since they are both now $10 buncks apiece instead of $9 and $12, same with the Infield Grandstand seats which pretty much make up the rest of the upper Deck, lowering those from $16 to $10.

So basically the entire upper deck appears to be $10.

I have no idea what the upper and lower outfield box seats are. I've only known them and can find them to be just outfield box seats. Are they planning on splitting them up? Looks like they are doing the same type of split with the Infield box seats as well.

It's really varied as far as pricing is concerned, looks like they are adding more sections to the bottom levels and pretty much merged the entire upper level as far as pricing is concerned.

Your homework now, JNN is to find out how many seats are affected by the change in prices. For instance, a roundabout on how many see a decrease and increase etc... When you look at all of those upperdeck seats decreasing in price from $16 to $10 and $11-$10 (I added in the price increase L/R Grandstand seats by a dollar), that's a large number of seats that are seeing a decrease.

Or something like that. I wanna see a colored chart. I just noticed that there's an upper and lower infield grandstand
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 197

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    It looks like they are comining the L/R Grandstand and Outfield Grandtsand seats together as far as Price is concerned since they are both now $10 buncks apiece instead of $9 and $12, same with the Infield Grandstand seats which pretty much make up the rest of the upper Deck, lowering those from $16 to $10.

So basically the entire upper deck appears to be $10.

I have no idea what the upper and lower outfield box seats are. I've only known them and can find them to be just outfield box seats. Are they planning on splitting them up? Looks like they are doing the same type of split with the Infield box seats as well.

It's really varied as far as pricing is concerned, looks like they are adding more sections to the bottom levels and pretty much merged the entire upper level as far as pricing is concerned.

Your homework now, JNN is to find out how many seats are affected by the change in prices. For instance, a roundabout on how many see a decrease and increase etc... When you look at all of those upperdeck seats decreasing in price from $16 to $10 and $11-$10 (I added in the price increase L/R Grandstand seats by a dollar), that's a large number of seats that are seeing a decrease.

Or something like that. I wanna see a colored chart. I just noticed that there's an upper and lower infield grandstand
    Yeah, the new map just lists "Grandstand" and covers the entire upper level of the stadium. The pro is that some of the better grandstand seats (the ones behind home plate) stay at the same price, but the con is that the outfield grandstand seats are awful and now cost more.

They didn't make it all $10, though. The "lower" part covers the front of the section (rows A-R) while the "Upper" part covers the back half (Rows S-the end). It's like that through most of the stadium now. The price decrease is only for people who will be sitting at the very top of the stadium.

The only parts of the stadium that aren't split like that are the seats behind the outfield walls, I guess just because there aren't enough rows out there.

I would love to figure out how many seats are in each section, but I don't know if that information is available anywhere. I'd love to know how they came up with that 81 cent number. I'm always interested in the creative ways people can do simple math. There's no way that's even close to accurate.

I also just realized that this is just advance ticket prices and they haven't released day of game numbers yet. I wonder if they'll bump the additional day of game charge up even more or if the difference will stay the same. Honestly you could probably jack that up about as high as you want. Once people already make it to the window they're going to buy tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    Yeah, the new map just lists "Grandstand" and covers the entire upper level of the stadium. The pro is that some of the better grandstand seats (the ones behind home plate) stay at the same price, but the con is that the outfield grandstand seats are awful and now cost more.

They didn't make it all $10, though. The "lower" part covers the front of the section (rows A-R) while the "Upper" part covers the back half (Rows S-the end). It's like that through most of the stadium now. The price decrease is only for people who will be sitting at the very top of the stadium.

The only parts of the stadium that aren't split like that are the seats behind the outfield walls, I guess just because there aren't enough rows out there.

I would love to figure out how many seats are in each section, but I don't know if that information is available anywhere. I'd love to know how they came up with that 81 cent number. I'm always interested in the creative ways people can do simple math. There's no way that's even close to accurate.

I also just realized that this is just advance ticket prices and they haven't released day of game numbers yet. I wonder if they'll bump the additional day of game charge up even more or if the difference will stay the same. Honestly you could probably jack that up about as high as you want. Once people already make it to the window they're going to buy tickets.
    I was just reading the Article at the Pirates.com trying to make more sense of it all

They mentioned incremental increases over the next several years to get the Pirates within the league average. I'm thinking or guessing that the next "increase" in prices will probably eliminate the upper and Lowers of the sections and that the inclusions of these is aprt of some gradual process to not only increase ticket prices but also get fans used to seeing specific numbers when they visit the site and prepped perhaps for the next phase of increases.

Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post
    I would venture to guess that Pirate tickets are still one of lower priced tickets out there.
    Pirates had the lowest average ticket price this season and Based on this year's data, only the Padres ($15.45) and D-backs ($15.74) would have a lower average ticket price than the $16.11 figure the Pirates will be at in 2012.

Each of the other five National League Central clubs currently has an average ticket price above $20.50.

Threads : 18
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I just purchased a 10 game Season ticket package. It's pretty affordable, about $280 a seat. (as in $280 buys your butt one seat for 10 games) So I bought one for me and one for my wife. I know people were up in arms about the price hike, but seriously, if you want better players, you need more revenue, you need more ticket sales, and they need to be a bit higher. We pay premium prices to watch premium players at Heinz Field and Consol Enegery Center, why do so many of us think that baseball is exempt from this formula? Currently we don't pay premiums at PNC and hey.. we don't have premium players. It's as simple as that.

Either way,.. I'm looking forward to baseball this spring. Lets Go Bucs!
    Hidden Content and the pirates...

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

With ticket prices being so low for so long it makes you think the mentality was even though the team sucked, the cheap tickets will get folks here and they can't ***** about cheap tickets. Well, I'll pay premium dollar to see a contender. The old ownership group was insulting the intelligence of the fanbase with their business model. These guys are gonna raise prices but give us something good to watch in the process.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Quote Originally Posted by Steely_J View Post
    I just purchased a 10 game Season ticket package. It's pretty affordable, about $280 a seat. (as in $280 buys your butt one seat for 10 games) So I bought one for me and one for my wife. I know people were up in arms about the price hike, but seriously, if you want better players, you need more revenue, you need more ticket sales, and they need to be a bit higher. We pay premium prices to watch premium players at Heinz Field and Consol Enegery Center, why do so many of us think that baseball is exempt from this formula? Currently we don't pay premiums at PNC and hey.. we don't have premium players. It's as simple as that.

Either way,.. I'm looking forward to baseball this spring. Lets Go Bucs!

And still with this icnrease in ticket prices the price to see a game at PNC Park will still be amongst one of the lowest in all of MLB.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

... Price increase is inevitable... If it provides some benefit, I do not mind....
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information