Thread: Lolley: Post-Cincinnati part II thoughts

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Lolley: Post-Cincinnati part II thoughts

Sunday, November 15, 2009
    Post-Cincinnati part II thoughts

Give credit where credit is due, Cincinnati defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer coached himself a heck of a ball game Sunday.

Individually, Cincinnati's defenders aren't all that good. In fact, they're largely the same group that has lined up for the Bengals the past few years - with a few notable exceptions.

But people have said that about the Steelers for years as well.

Sometimes scheme can outperform ability.

It did Sunday for Cincinnati.

Cincinnati's offense didn't do a whole lot again against the Steelers, picking up 218 yards.

That's why it's kind of funny that quarterback Carson Palmer spoke after the game about how they outschemed the Steelers in the run game and in the play-action game.

Hey Carson, you outschemed the Steelers to the tune of 61 rushing yards, 157 passing and four field goals.

No, this day belonged to Zimmer.

Ben Roethlisberger was off all day long in this one, overthrowing open receivers on a number of occasions.

Many of his throws were high. Again, credit Zimmer for keeping Roethlisberger in the pocket and for some well-timed delayed blitzes that kept Roethlisberger from stepping into his throws.

The injury to Troy Polamalu is troubling.

Including Sunday's loss in which he played exactly one defensive series, the Steelers have won 13 of of the past 15 games he's started.

They're 2-2 when he doesn't play.

There's no word yet on Polamalu's status, but he pulled himself out of the game, so obviously he felt something wasn't right.

That's seven consecutive games the Steelers have allowed a return touchdown, including three-straight home games that they've given up a kickoff return touchdown.

The defense has allowed 11 touchdowns all season.

Mike Tomlin joked following the game that he'd put himself out there if he thought it would help the kickoff coverage team.

But a call to Anthony Madison, who's unemployed right now, might be in order.

Keiwan Ratliff was inactive Sunday and rookie Keenan Lewis went down with a rib injury.

Ratliff could be released or Lewis could go on IR to make room for Madison, who was the Steelers' leader in special teams tackles in 2008.

Chris Kemoeatu was the only Steelers player named to Sports Illustrated's midseason All-Pro team by Peter King.

Sunday, Kemoeatu gave up a pair of sacks to somebody named Johnathan Fanene. He also was penalized once for holding Fanene.

I'm pretty sure Fanene was not on King's All-Pro team.

Just saying.

I'm sure Steelers fans are hitting the panic button right now after being swept by the Bengals.

But really, the Steelers still control their own destiny.

Sunday's loss will likely cost the Steelers any chance of a bye in the playoffs and could mean they might have to settle for a wildcard spot, but outside of Indianapolis and New England, who in the AFC playoff picture scares anyone?

Don't think for a second the Steelers wouldn't welcome a third game with Cincinnati.

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 10

Default Re: Lolley: Post-Cincinnati part II thoughts

Chris Kemoeatu was the only Steelers player named to Sports Illustrated's midseason All-Pro team by Peter King.

Sunday, Kemoeatu gave up a pair of sacks to somebody named Johnathan Fanene. He also was penalized once for holding Fanene.

I'd like to see those sacks and time the period between the snap and the sack.

Kip post a table of the NFL's lineman who have given up the most sacks.

Starx was on that list.

When you looked at it though, his average time between snap and sack was 3.7 secs.

Almost everyone else was below 3 secs, some very much below it and only a few slightly above 3 at 3.1.

What does that tell us....

It's not Starx...

In fact, Starx is actually playing really well in pass coverage.

Ben just holds that ball way too long at times.

I think another problem is that arians pass routed take too long for the receivers to be in position to be open.

All that said, Ben still played like **** yesterday.

Threads : 60

The more I think about it the more I place blame on Arians for the O-line getting a bad rap. Your right, the receivers do take too long with the development of their routes. At least always have a dump off pass type slant for Ben. He keeps enough receivers on the field for that.
    The o-line is doing good this season, Ben does hold the ball too long. No big news there, just as you mentioned it isn't all on Startks or the other guys.
    Kemo did look like a revolving door at times yesterday.
    Back to my rant of the slants. I realize not ever slant will be open or to actually run a slant every play is possible. In the past the slants with Santonio were money and I don't recall any his way at all yesterday.
    Same old Arians yesterday, trying to fit the square peg into the round. The guy can not go toe to toe when the defenses are in our face.

Threads : 183

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJackGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Ben just holds that ball way too long at times.

I think another problem is that arians pass routed take too long for the receivers to be in position to be open.

All that said, Ben still played like **** yesterday.
    Ben played terrible yes but I think a lot of the blame goes toward ariens for not adjusting the routes to be shorter. Good point by previous poster above in bold.

Threads : 407
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by steel0710 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ben played terrible yes but I think a lot of the blame goes toward ariens for not adjusting the routes to be shorter. Good point by previous poster above in bold.
    My thoughts: didn't get to see the game, just highlights, but on the kick return, 2 things noticed: 1. I saw a couple of blocks in the back, wonder how the refs didn't. 2. Once again Reed totally whiffed on any attempt to slow up the return man....pitiful. I am now of the feeling that I will not mind if he isn't on the team next year. You must sacrifice yourself in team sports sometimes, and he hasn't, as if to say, I know I won't be here next year and I don't care, I am not going to risk an injury for this team.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information