Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is This Offense in Trouble?

Threads : 49

Default Is This Offense in Trouble?

Has anyone noticed that the offense has been underachieving for most of the season so far? Let's look at some games this year -

Steelers score just 14 points against the Bears. A Bears team that the Cardinals put up 41 on in Chicago.

Steelers put up 13 points against the Titans, 10 in regulation.

Steelers offense puts up just 13 points against the Vikings at home.

Steelers offense puts up about 50 yards in the first half against the Broncos. If not for the muddle huddle and a bad Kyle Orton performance who knows how that game would've ended up.

And now this past week the Steelers offense scores just 12 points at home. The lowest total of the year so far.

For an offense with this much talent and a QB on pace for over 4,000 yards, this is simply inexcusable. Especially when you factor in how much the NFL favors offense these days.

Part of the blame obviously goes on player execution (or lack thereof) but most of the blame has to be put on Arians at this point. I know it's beating a dead horse to bash Arians, but when this has been a disturbing pattern that's been going on throughout the season it points back to coaching. There's no other way around it.

After watching the Pats put up 35 points and over 400 yards of offense against the Colts in Indy on Sunday night it made me realize even more how bad our offense is run from a coaching standpoint. Is the Pats offense really that much more talented than the Steelers? HELL NO. I don't even think they are more talented. Both teams O-lines are playing about the same. Brady and Ben are in the same league. Kevin Faulk is like 40 years old. Moss is past his prime, we have Wallace, they have Welker, we have Ward and Holmes. They have Watson, we have Miller.

The big difference is gameplanning and playcalling. Arians really is the master of the grab bag playcalling. His playcalling in the redzone is even worse. The Steelers have to have one of the worst TD%'s in the redzone right now.

It's no secret that the Steelers offense this year has been more successful running the no-huddle and muddle huddle when Arians influence on the offense is at a minimum.

What I saw Sunday was a team that didn't gameplan at all for the Bengals and didn't adjust to what the Bengals were doing defensively. And there was hardly any no-huddle the whole game. Any coincidence that only 12 points were scored?

I honestly am starting to think that Arians could be gone this year if this trend continues. At the very least some team might be stupid enough to hire him as a head coach. Doubt it, but maybe we'll get lucky.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Is This Offense in Trouble?

I agree with some of this....

Quote Originally Posted by JerryGlanville View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Has anyone noticed that the offense has been underachieving for most of the season so far? Let's look at some games this year -

Steelers score just 14 points against the Bears. A Bears team that the Cardinals put up 41 on in Chicago.
    Different point in the season. Every team "grows or declines" as the season progresses.

Steelers put up 13 points against the Titans, 10 in regulation.
    Titans are one of those "troubled" teams that didn't really decline until each game progressed, IMO.

Steelers offense puts up just 13 points against the Vikings at home.
    Vikings are one of the best, if not THE best that the NFC offers.

Steelers offense puts up about 50 yards in the first half against the Broncos. If not for the muddle huddle and a bad Kyle Orton performance who knows how that game would've ended up.
    Off during first half, but did well in 2nd... Don't underestimate the Bronco defense.

And now this past week the Steelers offense scores just 12 points at home. The lowest total of the year so far.
    Bengals are extremely better this season. Underestimating them is wrong. Arians had no adjustments for them.

For an offense with this much talent and a QB on pace for over 4,000 yards, this is simply inexcusable. Especially when you factor in how much the NFL favors offense these days.
    Ben had a bad game. He had it last year as well... Reference the Philly game.

Part of the blame obviously goes on player execution (or lack thereof) but most of the blame has to be put on Arians at this point. I know it's beating a dead horse to bash Arians, but when this has been a disturbing pattern that's been going on throughout the season it points back to coaching. There's no other way around it.
    No, you are not beating a dead horse. Arians is a hinderance not an advantage.

After watching the Pats put up 35 points and over 400 yards of offense against the Colts in Indy on Sunday night it made me realize even more how bad our offense is run from a coaching standpoint. Is the Pats offense really that much more talented than the Steelers? HELL NO. I don't even think they are more talented. Both teams O-lines are playing about the same. Brady and Ben are in the same league. Kevin Faulk is like 40 years old. Moss is past his prime, we have Wallace, they have Welker, we have Ward and Holmes. They have Watson, we have Miller.
    We do not have an explosive team such as these. Much can be said for "luck" or the "it" factor. We do not have it this season.

The big difference is gameplanning and playcalling. Arians really is the master of the grab bag playcalling. His playcalling in the redzone is even worse. The Steelers have to have one of the worst TD%'s in the redzone right now.
    Arians could not get to the "next" level in Cleveland not because of talent, but because of his ability. I've said it for a while, and will say it again, "he is our weak link".

It's no secret that the Steelers offense this year has been more successful running the no-huddle and muddle huddle when Arians influence on the offense is at a minimum.
    The no-huddle works in situations, not all game long. If Arians cannot effectively gameplan, it is a lost cause.

What I saw Sunday was a team that didn't gameplan at all for the Bengals and didn't adjust to what the Bengals were doing defensively. And there was hardly any no-huddle the whole game. Any coincidence that only 12 points were scored?
    Cincy outplayed and outcoached us. I am not sure whether a series or two of no-huddle would have mattered. But it is a good question as to why it was not utilized moreso.

I honestly am starting to think that Arians could be gone this year if this trend continues. At the very least some team might be stupid enough to hire him as a head coach. Doubt it, but maybe we'll get lucky.
    I hope he is gone. I doubt that any team will try to retain him, but he is not getting the job done here, just as he didn't in his previous attempt at OC.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Steelers have issues in the red zone. tyhat's for sure. This offense is moving the ball 10 times better down the field than last years team. Theres times this year when this offense looks lights out, and times where it's being killed slowly by Bruce Arians' play calling.

I don't think the offense is in trouble. It's looked better than last years offense for the most part. the line has done a better job, the running game looks better, ben is throwing well except at home against cincinnati. We struggle to put 6 on the board in the red zone is our big problem and that's mostly all due to playcalling

Threads : 87
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Here is the worst thing about it. Windows of opportunity are very narrow in the NFL. We have a lot of talent on the team and were able to retain most of it from last years superbowl team (that is very rare anymore). The longer we watch Arians **** up the O year after year, the more we see that window close. It is maddening to see it happening all the while Tomlin is picking his *** about it. I think Tomlin has some great qualities, but his inability to make the tough decisions about coaches could kill this team in the end.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It is sad to say that I would much rather have mike mularkey as our OC? Or Ron Erhardt? Those guys at least called plays that were geared for the talent that was on the field in, say, the redzone. Overall they maximized the talent we had on offense.
    IN THOSE DAYS, all we needed was the franchise QB and now we have him. I swear brucey just doesn't know how to call plays in order to maximize the talent at his disposal. It is a problem that needs to be addressed.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    The Steelers have issues in the red zone. tyhat's for sure. This offense is moving the ball 10 times better down the field than last years team. Theres times this year when this offense looks lights out, and times where it's being killed slowly by Bruce Arians' play calling.

I don't think the offense is in trouble. It's looked better than last years offense for the most part. the line has done a better job, the running game looks better, ben is throwing well except at home against cincinnati. We struggle to put 6 on the board in the red zone is our big problem and that's mostly all due to playcalling

Couldn't agree more.It seems as if Arians becomes even more retarded as we get closer to the RZ.

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    It is sad to say that I would much rather have mike mularkey as our OC? Or Ron Erhardt? Those guys at least called plays that were geared for the talent that was on the field in, say, the redzone. Overall they maximized the talent we had on offense.
    IN THOSE DAYS, all we needed was the franchise QB and now we have him. I swear brucey just doesn't know how to call plays in order to maximize the talent at his disposal. It is a problem that needs to be addressed.
    I think Chan Gailey is still available.

Threads : 413

Quote Originally Posted by kinsar View Post
    Here is the worst thing about it. Windows of opportunity are very narrow in the NFL. We have a lot of talent on the team and were able to retain most of it from last years superbowl team (that is very rare anymore). The longer we watch Arians **** up the O year after year, the more we see that window close. It is maddening to see it happening all the while Tomlin is picking his *** about it. I think Tomlin has some great qualities, but his inability to make the tough decisions about coaches could kill this team in the end.
    Great observation.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hopefully, Tomlin will address this at the end of the season. I understand that Ben might like Bruce, but they could let him help pick the next OC.

Threads : 60

This offense has ben in trouble the day Arians became cord. We win despite that butthole. The talent we have on this offense, we should on average be getting 2 to 3 TD's a game.
    The entire NFL knows he's a smuck............. Even Al Davis hasn't offered him a job.

Now that's funny. Why hasn't Al hired Arians?

Threads : 60

It's funny because it's true.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by kinsar View Post
    Here is the worst thing about it. Windows of opportunity are very narrow in the NFL. We have a lot of talent on the team and were able to retain most of it from last years superbowl team (that is very rare anymore). The longer we watch Arians **** up the O year after year, the more we see that window close. It is maddening to see it happening all the while Tomlin is picking his *** about it. I think Tomlin has some great qualities, [HIGH-LIGHT]but his inability to make the tough decisions about coaches could kill this team in the end[/HIGH-LIGHT].
    Yup. Look at our Special Teams. Tomlin is already throwing out excuse after excuse to ignore the issue of a Special Teams coach that literally sucks and sucked before we hired him.

Offensively. Bruce has no concept of playcalling strategies. None whatsoever. He doesn't call plays to get a defense to do what he wants to capitilize. Bruce seems to just simply call plays, whatever plays he wants. Doesn't matter. Maybe he likes the name of that play. Send it into Ben, let's see if it works, if not... I'm sure Bruce has another favorite play up his sleeve. Football is the ultimate Chess match. While others play Chess, Bruce is playing Chuttes and Ladders

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It wasn't just a poor game with lack of connection on Sunday. There was a lot of poor decision-making both onfield and off. Until there's a resolution to that problem, the discord will persist.

This week is back to the workshop, not just for tuning but in somecases for a rebuild.

If there's no improvement by this weekend's game, I'll be worried. I now only expect crap from the OC, so there seems little point in wibbling on about the matter. If people aren't already considering changes, we've got a long-term problem.

Ditching Arians after last year's SB win might have proved problematic. It depends on how his contract is worded. If he screws the pooch repeatedly this year (and he has a few times), there may be some escape clause or at least the start of a legal defence should he then try to claim unfair dismissal.

Just a thought.

That's about it Kip, he's playing a whole different game and probably in his own little world.
    IF YOU'RE gonna go so far as to let Ben edit the playbook by removing plays he doesn't like and rename others, why not let him call his own plays?
    If Tomlin doesn't want to say Liggy sucks publicly, that's fine as long as he fires him privately!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information