Thread: Tabata and Stuff

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Tabata and Stuff

Snagged this from Omar at OBN..........

Tabata had 3 more hits yesterday and is now batting .355 on the AFL season.

He's first in hits with a good chance to lead the league with only 2 games remaining,he has a 3 hit lead

He's 7th overall in batting average

He's 2nd in AB's but tied for 51st overall in strikeouts,and remember its just a 6 team league so there isnt that many regulars behind him

He's also tied for 10th in RBI's despite batting leadoff most of the season

D'Arnaud stole his 10th base today as well in 11 tries. Brian Friday had the game off as well as all 3 pitchers
    Last edited by Kipper; Jan-03-2011 at 03:25 PM.

Threads : 197

Default Re: Tabata and Stuff

Another day at the office for Tabata today. 2 for 3 with a triple and 2 walks. 10 walks vs. 12 strikeouts and now a .903 OPS. Only 1 game left in the AFL season.

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Another day at the office for Tabata today. 2 for 3 with a triple and 2 walks. 10 walks vs. 12 strikeouts and now a .903 OPS. Only 1 game left in the AFL season.
    We all know that it's just the AFL but the fact that he's pretty much dominating the league is nothing but a good sign and his numbers are really good (outside of the low/no power numbers of course), really good. He's not going to get held back at AAA for long, if he keeps this up and stays injury free. With that being the case, it makes 1B a lot more interesting. they have hopes for Clement but you can't not start Garrett Jones until he proves otherwise

When the Pirates acquired outfielder Jose Tabata from the Yankees, his swing tended to get long. It’s still an ongoing process to cut down on his stroke, but the 21-year-old outfielder has made strides with his swing and ability to put the ball in play.

"He really has shown from about halfway through the Double-A season this year and on into Triple-A, he really became strike-zone aware, stayed short and compact with his stroke, didn’t get out of control, started working the middle of the field. His hands are lightning fast. He has the ability to wait extremely late so he doesn’t get fooled on a lot of pitches. He’s very calm in the box and sees the ball very well."

At a squatty 5-foot-11, 210 pounds, Tabata is faster than he looks but his defense will probably be better suited for a corner outfield position than center field. Yet it’s not clear that Tabata, who hit .293/.357/.406 with five home runs in 93 games between Double-A Altoona and Triple-A Indianapolis in 2009, will have enough power to hold down a regular job at a corner. He hits the ball on the ground more than he hits it in the air, and he’s still learning to backspin the baseball.

"There are times he can and will get big (with his swing), but I think he’s just a guy that has that magic ability to get the bat on the ball consistently," Banister said. "I do think that he eventually is going to hit for some power, but right now the ability to hit and what he can do right now is the most important thing, and we’ll let that power come when it needs to."

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Honestly...we need power in the lineup...but if he hits for a high average...lots of extra base hits (gap power) and plays great defense...we have to be fine with that. We need power from the other corner OF spot, 1B, and 3B without a doubt though.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

As of the 8th inning in the final game of the season Tabata has 6 hits in 6 trips to the plate including 2 doubles. If he can come up 1 more time he'll have a shot at hitting .400 for the AFL season.

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    As of the 8th inning in the final game of the season Tabata has 6 hits in 6 trips to the plate including 2 doubles. If he can come up 1 more time he'll have a shot at hitting .400 for the AFL season.
    Wait... as of this post he's 6-6 ? If so, that's ridiculous.

Your other article is good too. Basicallyt he doesn't get a lot of lift on the ball, more of a line drive hitter from the sounds of it. He could figure out the lift part especially if his hands are as fast as they say and if they are that fast and he can get some lift, his power could really be there.

It's funny, they called his something like "scrawny" or whatever. He's short at under 6'0" but at 210lbs. he's got some weight behind that frame.

Threads : 0

Why people insist that Tabata has to be "a power hitter" is beyond me. If he is a "professional hitter" type (as I expect him to be), ie, a high average, lots of doubles and RBIs kinda player who also gives you reliable defense, what's wrong with that? Dunno 'bout yinz, but I'd gladly take .290, 40 2B, 15 HR, 90 RBI year in and year out. Seems to me he'll have enough pressure on him when he arrives in Pittsburgh. Why get into his head the idea that he has to put every pitch into the Allegheny?

Threads : 94

Quote Originally Posted by williamjpellas View Post
    Why people insist that Tabata has to be "a power hitter" is beyond me. If he is a "professional hitter" type (as I expect him to be), ie, a high average, lots of doubles and RBIs kinda player who also gives you reliable defense, what's wrong with that? Dunno 'bout yinz, but I'd gladly take .290, 40 2B, 15 HR, 90 RBI year in and year out. Seems to me he'll have enough pressure on him when he arrives in Pittsburgh. Why get into his head the idea that he has to put every pitch into the Allegheny?

Tabata still has a lot...like putting a high minor full season together

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information