Thread: Listen to This Beautiful Accapella

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Thumbs up Listen to This Beautiful Accapella

Scuse me, a cappella.

Last edited by Skeeter; Nov-19-2009 at 09:03 PM.

Threads : 33

Default Re: Listen to This Beautiful Accapella

Quote Originally Posted by WYsteel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Scuse me, a cappella.

Thanks WYsteel.. for starting this thread/topic..I almost missed it.. Naturally being an old-time Barbershopper Harmony Singer, I always appreciate A Cappella singing of "all kinds" Here is an unusual one you will enjoy too. The Voca People ...
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7lnrEfJcyA[/ame]
    There are several more at the end here...Let's get some more.. I'll buy the beer...
    Last edited by Sports Guy; Nov-20-2009 at 04:00 PM.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

My dad sings in a barbershop quartet down in S Carolina... I think it's good stuff.... I'll check to see if they have any vids posted somewhere.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    My dad sings in a barbershop quartet down in S Carolina... I think it's good stuff.... I'll check to see if they have any vids posted somewhere.
    I traveled to all the Harmony International Contests. My signature photo is with travel emblems...
    This attached photo was in 1988 .... anniversary show... I was President of the "Cavaliers of Harmony".... sang all 4 parts... but unfortunately sometimes all at the same time.... ... Click the photo I'm in the front row... The director has his elbow in my face again...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Barbershop 6 Cavaliers 1988 Show.jpg  
    Last edited by Sports Guy; Nov-20-2009 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sports Guy View Post
    Thanks WYsteel.. for starting this thread/topic..I almost missed it.. Naturally being an old-time Barbershopper Harmony Singer, I always appreciate A Cappella singing of "all kinds" Here is an unusual one you will enjoy too. The Voca People ...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7lnrEfJcyA
    There are several more at the end here...Let's get some more.. I'll buy the beer...
    The Voca people are FUN !!!

A Century of A Cappella

Here is the beginning of a history of a cappella over the last hundred years. By necessity only some of the highlights can be included here, but more focus is given to the most recent history. If you have any additions or corrections, please e-mail me at don@a-cappella.com

- Don Gooding, President, A-CAPPELLA.COM

1930s . . . 1940s . . . 1950s . . . 1960s . . . 1970s . . . 1980s . . . 1990s

1909 The Yale Whiffenpoofs are formed as an adjunct to the Yale Glee Club. Collegiate a cappella is born. "The Whiffenpoof Song" goes on to become the most covered collegiate a cappella original song in history.

1910 The first written use of the word "barbershop" associating it with harmonizing occurs with the song, "Play That Barbershop Chord."

1931 The Mills Brothers begin recording. Their popular voicetrumental sound, typified by " Swing It Sister," was billed on the records as "No musical instruments or mechanical devices used on this recording other than one guitar."

1937 The Golden Gate Quartet debuts a 78, their signature " Golden Gate Gospel Train" a cappella with voicetrumentation and train chords, emulating the Mills Brothers.

1938 O. C. Cash has the first meeting of the "Society for the Preservation and Propagation of Barber Shop Quartet Singing in the United States" a songfest on the roof garden of the Tulsa Club in Tulsa Oklahoma, on April 11. The organization now known as SPEBSQSA is born.

1939 Solomon Linda's Original Evening Birds record " Mbube," later translated to English as "The Lion Sleeps Tonight," in South Africa. The song is so popular a whole style of a cappella singing called Mbube is born.

1945 The Sweet Adelines (later renamed Sweet Adelines International) are founded, providing for women barbershoppers the equivalent of SPEBSQSA.

1952 Sam Cooke sings lead with The Soul Stirrers, starting a direct link from a cappella gospel to rock & roll with songs like "It Won't Be Very Long."

1953 The Hi-Lo's are founded by Gene Puerling.

1954 The Chordettes have a huge hit with "Mr. Sandman," completing their switch from women's barbershop pioneers to pop stars.

1957 The Hi-Lo's, signed to Columbia, produce "Suddenly It's the Hi-Lo's," "Ring Around Rosie," and "Love Nest" which included their stellar a cappella rendition of "My Romance."

1959 Harmony Inc. splits off from the Sweet Adelines.

1962 The Buffalo Bills appear in "The Music Man," providing one of Barbershop's most visible moments.

1963 The Swingle Singers release "Bach's Greatest Hits" and win the Grammy for New Artist of the Year. (Not quite a cappella, though.)

1966 The Persuasions are founded.

1968 Frank Zappa on his label "Straight Records" records The Persuasions first album "Acapella."
    On May 1, a group that emerged from King's College in England performed for the first time as The King's Singers.

1971 The Persuasions "We Came To Play," now on Columbia Records, hits the Billboard 200 charts (9/18) with "Chain Gang" and other hits.
    Ralph Stanley introduces a cappella quartet gospel singing to his bluegrass music audience.

1972 The Persuasions "Street Corner Symphony" hits the Billboard 200 charts (2/12) peaking at number 88, featuring "Buffalo Soldier."
    Gene Puerling forms Singers Unlimited and they release "Try To Remember," AKA "A Capella" (yes, they misspell it) with amazing a cappella overdubbing - a new studio technique. Oscar Peterson gets them a record deal on MPS in Germany after hearing " Fool On The Hill."

The Belmonts, formerly of Dion and the Belmonts, release "Cigars, Acappella, Candy."

The Manhattan Transfer are born (October 1).

1974 The King's Singers record "Lollipops," their first all a cappella recording of light songs such as "I'm A Train" and "Didn't We."

1975 Manhattan Transfer's first album is released - with lots of accompanied close harmony and a few a cappella intros (like "Operator").
    Bernice Johnson Reagon, founder of Sweet Honey in the Rock, releases a solo, overdubbed recording of civil rights songs, " Give Your Hands to Struggle" - the first "one person a cappella band."

1976 Sweet Honey in the Rock releases their debut, self-titled recording on the Flying Fish label, with the only instruments and pop songs they'll ever use.
    1979 Manhattan Transfer releases "Extensions" which includes their first a cappella song, " Foreign Affair."
    The Nylons are formed by four actors in the back room of a Toronto deli.

1981 Manhattan Transfer releases "Mecca for Moderns" which includes a cappella "A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square." The album is the first ever to win Grammys in both pop and jazz categories.
    The Nyons' self-titled debut album opens with " The Lion Sleeps Tonight" - and contemporary a cappella groups will feel compelled to forever follow their example.

1982 The Bobs are formed when two members close their singing telegrams venture "Western Onion Telegraph Company" and place a classified ad.
    1983 The Bobs release their self-named debut recording featuring " Helter Skelter" for which they were nominated for a Grammy for best vocal arrangement.
    In England, The Flying Pickets hit #1 in the charts with "Only You" for five weeks beginning December 10.

Billy Joel features the "nearly a cappella" song " For The Longest Time" on his album "An Innocent Man."

1984 Bobby McFerrin releases "The Voice," the first recording to capture his unique one man a cappella band sound.

1985 Manhattan Transfer releases "Vocalese" with an a cappella " Another Night in Tunisia" featuring Bobby McFerrin and Jon Hendricks. It's nominated for 12 Grammys.
    Todd Rundgren's "A Cappella" tops at #128 on the Billboard 200.

Phil Mattson & the PM Singers release "Night in the City" (f.k.a. "Setting Standards") featuring Bobby McFerrin and Gene Puerling, along with Mattson's seminal " I'll Be Seeing You."

The first Harmony Sweepstakes contest is held in Marin County in California. The winner of the local competition is "Just Friends."

1986 Paul Simon releases "Graceland," performed with the help of South African ensemble Ladysmith Black Mambazo. It wins the Grammy for Album of the Year.
    Keith Lancaster forms his musical ministry group Acappella, which grows over the years into The Acappella Company with more than 50 albums and more than two million units sold.

Rockapella was formed when three members graduate from the Brown University High Jinks.

The Mint Juleps are formed in England.

1987 The Nylons hit their peak with "Happy Together," whose singles " Kiss Him Goodbye" (peaking at #12) and "Happy Together" (peaking at #75) break into mainstream radio.
    The Real Group is formed in Stockholm, records their "Debut."

1988 Bobby McFerrin releases "Simple Pleasures" featuring the monster hit, "Don't Worry Be Happy" which becomes the number one single.
    Take 6 explodes on the scene with their debut self-named album, and wins a Grammy for singing songs like " Spread Love."

Glad produces their first " A Cappella Project" for the Contemporary Christian market.

1989 While during the rest of the '80s about half a dozen new collegiate a cappella groups were formed around the U.S. per year, suddenly more than 20 groups spring up - and there will be about the same number formed every year afterwards.
    Debut recording by Montezuma's Revenge (The Netherlands).

1990 "Do It A Cappella" is run on PBS, with Spike Lee following the trail of urban a cappella from Rockapella, The Persuasions and more.
    The Collegiate A Cappella Newsletter is formed by Deke Sharon of the Tufts Beelzebubs in his dorm, but quickly grows to include all groups and is later known as the Contemporary A Cappella Society.

Debut recordings by: The Flirtations, The Knudsen Brothers (U.S.).

1991 Boyz II Men, formed in 1988, debuts "Cooleyhighharmony" with the a cappella monster hit, "It's So Hard to Say Goodbye to Yesterday." The album enters the Billboard 200 June 1 and stays on the charts for 133 weeks.

The House Jacks are formed as the first a cappella group with a designated vocal percussionist.

1992 Rockapella produces their first Japanese recording, "To New York."
    The Primarily A Cappella Catalog debuts.

Debut recordings from The Blenders (U.S.), The Trenchcoats (U.S.), and Trio Esperanca (Brazil).

Contemporary A Cappella Recording Awards established.

1993 The first A Cappella Summit is held in the Marin Civic Center in California.
    Huey Lewis & The News reach #4 on the charts with "It's Alright."

Debut recordings: Zap Mama (Belgium), La Bande Magnetik and STREETNiX (Canada) plus Straight Company, Throat Culture and Vox One (U.S.).

Rec.music.a-cappella Album Review Board (now known as the Recorded A Cappella Review Board) debuts - RARB.

1994 Debut recordings: Five O'Clock Shadow, House Jacks, Street Sounds (U.S.) and Gema 4 (Cuba).

1995 CASA starts the Urban Harmony Movement.
    Rockapella releases their first U.S. recording, "Primer."

Debut recordings: 4 Tunes and the Essentials, (Canada), A La Carte, Accidentals, Beat'achon, Extempo, Monkey Puzzle, Tonic Sol Fa and Jezebelle (U.S.), Black Voices (Ireland), Vocal Sampling (Cuba).

1996 The first National Championship of Collegiate A Cappella is held, with the finals at Lincoln Center.
    The first all a cappella record label is formed, Primarily A Cappella Records.

A Cappella Radio International airs for the first time.

1997 The first non-barbershop a cappella competition outside the U.S., Northern Harmony, is held in Edmonton, Alberta.
    STREETNiX releases Ignition, the first "electronica a cappella" album, spending a month in studio manipulating vocal tracks.

1998 Mainely A Cappella is founded when Don Gooding leaves Primarily A Cappella.
    Double Dong records the first punk a cappella CD.

Two international groups (The Acapelicans, Fitzroy, Australia and the Heebee-jeebees, Calgary, AB) make it to the finals of the U.S. a cappella tournament.

1999 Hot Lips Records, the first vocal band label, is started by Mainely A Cappella founder Don Gooding. Mainely A Cappella also purchases the National Championship of Collegiate A Cappella

2000 A cappella touches the mainstream: The Standards win the Family Act title at Destination Stardom, five o’clock shadow finishes second in VH1’s Unsigned Band contest; 4:2:1 wins NextBigStar.com's Pop Music Duo or Group contest, with Toxic Audio finishing second.

2003 Idea of North from Australia becomes the first group outside of the U.S. to win the Harmony Sweepstakes.

2004 Toxic Audio brings its show to off-Broadway and wins both raves and audience awards for "Loudmouth."

Chapter 6 becomes the first a cappella group to win both the International Championship of Collegiate A Cappella and the Harmony Sweepstakes.

2005 Mainely A Cappella changes its name to A-CAPPELLA.COM, reflecting its global presence and the dominance of the internet in its sales.

http://www.a-cappella.com/category/century_of_acappella
    Last edited by Skeeter; Nov-20-2009 at 05:56 PM.

Last edited by Skeeter; Nov-20-2009 at 06:09 PM.

Last edited by Skeeter; Nov-20-2009 at 06:41 PM.

Thumbs up Re: Listen to This Beautiful Accapella

Oh MY!... quartets all over the place... this group (the voices) are from the University of Maryland... "Mount Rushmore" chapter.. the last time they climbed up there.. Click it on and share...
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb6fq48GMZ4[/ame]
    Yes... and they are all sober... too....
    Last edited by Sports Guy; Nov-21-2009 at 06:45 AM.

I've been to Rushmore but they didn't sing that day...

Back at cha friend. You know this style of music is so much fun. What a shame many or most younger people today have no idea it even exists.

Last edited by Skeeter; Nov-21-2009 at 03:57 PM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information