Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Returns not Reed's fault

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Returns not Reed's fault

11/20/2009
    Returns not Reed's fault
    By F. Dale Lolley, Staff writer

PITTSBURGH - Former Steelers linebacker Greg Lloyd used to wear a shirt around the team's practice facility that read, "I wasn't hired for my disposition."

According to kicker Jeff Reed and his teammates, Reed could wear a similar shirt that would read, "I wasn't hired for my tackling."

But twice in the Steelers' past two home games, Reed has been the last man between a kick returner and the end zone. And on both occasions - against Minnesota's Percy Harvin Oct. 25 and last week against Cincinnati's Bernard Scott - Reed failed to take the opponent to the ground.

"Guys on the kickoff coverage don't really see that as his fault at all," said linebacker Andre Frazier, one of the Steelers' top special teams players. "His job is to kick the ball off and have a good kick. He's a kicker. I don't think it's in his job description to be a great tackler. We're really not bothered by it at all. As long as he's doing his best, we'll accept that. His job is kicking the ball."

Against Minnesota, Reed attempted to shove Harvin out of bounds, failing as the rookie receiver skirted the sideline for an 88-yard touchdown.

Reed came all the way across the field against Scott, forcing the rookie back to the inside. But Reed failed to get a hand on Scott and the running back finished off a 96-yard return that was the only touchdown scored in an 18-12 Cincinnati victory.

"That was about a 50-yard sprint for me, and my job is to make him cut back inside," Reed said. "I just look at those people (who were critical) like they don't know what they're talking about.

"My job is to make him cut back. When I looked at it on film, it looked worse than it was."

But when a team allows three touchdowns on returns - more than it gave up in the previous four seasons combined - things are going to be scrutinized. And there is a possibility that changes will be made.

The Steelers (6-3) made one Tuesday, releasing linebacker Arnold Harrison and adding linebacker Donovan Woods from the practice squad.

That might not be the lone change.

Several starters have asked to play special teams - including safety Ryan Clark and defensive end Brett Keisel - though head coach Mike Tomlin is balking at making such moves.

The Steelers know that they cannot continue to allow their kickoff coverage to lag. No other team has given up three touchdowns on kickoffs this season. The Steelers have given up a return for a touchdown - on a kickoff, interception or fumble - in seven consecutive games. The Pittsburgh record for such a dubious statistic was set in 1993 when the Steelers allowed eight returns fro scores.

Pittsburgh's defense has allowed 11 touchdowns.

"We've given up almost as many non-defensive touchdowns as we've given up defensively," Clark said. "That's something we need to work on.

"It's not so much about the numbers, it's frustrating because you want to get your opportunity to go out there and play. There's nothing we can do as a defense to stop a team from scoring points if we're not out there when they're scoring."

[HIGH-LIGHT]Odds and end zones [/HIGH-LIGHT]

Defensive end Travis Kirschke (calf) did not practice Thursday. Kirschke has missed the last two games. Strong safety Troy Polamalu (knee) also did not practice ... Fullback Carey Davis (hamstring) was limited in practice for the second consecutive day.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/...-special-teams
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Returns not Reed's fault

********. Well, to be fair it's only half ********, so that makes it bollock... There's enough blame to go around on ST, but it's the Fairy Kicking Queen who bricked out of two tackles when he was really needed.

If the ST unit wants to be like that, they can all sod off.

Threads : 91

I think the job description thing is way off target! He doesn't get paid to make tackles but if you asked every coach in the NFL, head coach, coordinator, position coach, or ST coach the below question, I guarantee you the answer would be "yes" from every single one of them.

If the opposing kick returner has broken free and your kicker is in a position to tackle him, would you want your kicker to "attempt to" tackle him?

Threads : 23
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

All together now....

Dooooooooooooooshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Sweet *** sig thanks to Kipper.Hidden Content

Threads : 164
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I guess its not Reed's fault that most kicks get fielded on the 10 yard line or further out either?

Threads : 29

Quote Originally Posted by bdeff View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I guess its not Reed's fault that most kicks get fielded on the 10 yard line or further out either?
    That's my problem as well. I believe the problem starts with the kick either being to short or lack of hang time. Reed has had 1 TB all year or 2.2% of his kicks which is last in the league. 2008 was 11%, 2007 - 11.6%. He is averaging 60 yards a kick which is 30th only Washington and KC are worse. 2008 he averaged 62.2 and 2007 - 61.4.

As to his tackling, I get he's a kicker and obviously one that doesn't care to look like a *****. But is it too much to ask to fall down in front of them, stick a leg out, something?

If it was up to me, either Sep would be kicking off or I'd cut Ratliff and sign someone to just kickoff and as a last resort, I'd make Reed kick every kick out of bounds.

Threads : 60

I'm sure Tomlin and the rest of the team is happy that Andre gave Reed a pass.

I agree a lot with you guys, some of that wouldn't be happening if we had a kicker that would allow our guys to field the kick returner or at least kick it a little further.

Threads : 26

I would have been amazed if reed had made either tackle.That being said,it is the effort that was put out that is so frustrating.I thought that the field is 50 yds wide.How the hell did he run 50 yds to confront the returner?And if he did ,so what.He a professional athlete.A 50 yd sprint to him should be like a fart to us.Hell Roy Gerella looked better on his whiffs.Fall in front of the guy.I wish they had shown Hampton after the second whiff. He was pretty upset with reed's effort on the first missed tackle.

Threads : 9

""I wasn't hired for my tackling."
    That may be true, but if another player who wasn't hired for his tackling (Ben) gave the same half *** attempt in 2005 against Indy, Reed and the rest of the team would have one less SB ring.
    "The brotherhood that the Steelers have, their way of doing business, their way of playing football, spans decades. Their way of building teams that do not blink and players that do not shrink, well, there is nothing come-lately about it."

Threads : 60

Clint Eastwood said it best. Reed, are you reading Clints post ? Well are you punk !

Threads : 182

One other note i'm fairly sure that James Harrison was one of the web busters last year on the steelers KO unit. As far as I can tell he was not in there this past sunday does anyone know if he's been playing on the KO unit this year in general?

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Reed's team mates might be saying one thing publicly for a show unity, but they have to be fed up behind the scenes. His efforts(or lack of) on tackling are pathetic and he needs to go.
    EVEN THOUGH the offense played poorly, the defensive effort was wasted by another special teams coverage blunder, and Reed is a part of that problem. A kicker is part of a football team, and sure, his primary function is to kick the ball between the uprights. His secondary function is to engage the returner, which he has failed tremendously at.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 182

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    Reed's team mates might be saying one thing publicly for a show unity, but they have to be fed up behind the scenes. His efforts(or lack of) on tackling are pathetic and he needs to go.
    EVEN THOUGH the offense played poorly, the defensive effort was wasted by another special teams coverage blunder, and Reed is a part of that problem. A kicker is part of a football team, and sure, his primary function is to kick the ball between the uprights. His secondary function is to engage the returner, which he has failed tremendously at.
    Yep Very much agree just watched the return against bengals several times and he doesn't make any effort. Now something to think about -- see which team next year gives him a big fat free agent contract -- it will happen just watch and see.

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    "His job is to kick the ball off and have a good kick.

And he sucks at that,too.

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Jeff Reed...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information