Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: The sadest part of this mess

      
  1. #1
    Stone's Avatar
    Status : Stone is offline
    Rank : Major Leaguer
    Join Date : Nov 9, 2009
    Location : NE Ohio
    Posts : 1,243
    Threads : 91
    Last Online : Sep-20-2012 @ 11:34 AM

    Default The sadest part of this mess

    I'm going to be the ultimate pessimist for a minute, maybe I will feel better afterward!

    1. Tomlin's coaching hires suck
    2. Serious problems at several key coaching positions
    3. Schizophrenic team personality
    4. Tomlin can't seem to see the problem or is unwilling to act
    5. This doesn't all get fixed overnight
    6. We have some aging at key positions
    7. Troy can't stay healthy
    8. Ike can't catch and can't tackle
    9. How much longer can Clark be effective
    10. Gay can't cover
    11. Big snack will soon eat himself out of the league


    ****, ****, ****

    I don't feel better!

  2. #2
    JerryGlanville's Avatar
    Status : JerryGlanville is offline
    Rank : Superstar
    Join Date : Nov 16, 2009
    Posts : 2,786
    Threads : 49
    Last Online : Sep-12-2014 @ 03:43 PM

    Default Re: The sadest part of this mess

    Ryan Clark is overrated as a FS for this team. He's a liability in coverage and isn't very fast for a guy at his position, he was exposed in both areas in today's game. Clark is effective in run support and when teams don't throw his way. I barely ever see the guy defend a pass, I've seen him get burnt in the open field and get burnt on the deep ball like today, but I don't think I've ever seen him actually defend a pass. After Carter's performance against Denver, I'd rather see him and Troy back there.

    Ike Taylor is one of the most frustrating players to watch on this team. Physically talented? Yes. Takes plays off? Yes. Tackles well? No. Makes stupid decisions? Yes.

    William Gay has looked good at times, other times not so good. I'm not ready to give up on him. At the very least he can be a good nickel back if not a starter. Remember, this is his first year as a full-time starter. He has shown some game making ability.

  3. #3
    exNCite's Avatar
    Status : exNCite is offline
    Rank : Hall Of Famer
    Join Date : Oct 12, 2009
    Location : Wall, New Jersey, United States
    Posts : 5,589
    Threads : 413
    Last Online : Jul-14-2017 @ 06:36 PM

    Default Re: The sadest part of this mess

    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm going to be the ultimate pessimist for a minute, maybe I will feel better afterward!

    1. Tomlin's coaching hires suck
    2. Serious problems at several key coaching positions
    3. Schizophrenic team personality
    4. Tomlin can't seem to see the problem or is unwilling to act
    Don't believe there's much you can do about it in midseason. **** well better fix it in the off-season though.

    5. This doesn't all get fixed overnight
    6. We have some aging at key positions
    7. Troy can't stay healthy
    8. Ike can't catch and can't tackle
    His hands are pathetic. Fine the SOB until he catches a **** ball.
    9. How much longer can Clark be effective
    10. Gay can't cover
    Serious position to be addressed in the draft.
    11. Big snack will soon eat himself out of the league


    ****, ****, ****

    I don't feel better!
    Me too!

  4. #4
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The sadest part of this mess

    Quote Originally Posted by JerryGlanville View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ryan Clark is overrated as a FS for this team. He's a liability in coverage and isn't very fast for a guy at his position, he was exposed in both areas in today's game. Clark is effective in run support and when teams don't throw his way. I barely ever see the guy defend a pass, I've seen him get burnt in the open field and get burnt on the deep ball like today, but I don't think I've ever seen him actually defend a pass. After Carter's performance against Denver, I'd rather see him and Troy back there.

    Ike Taylor is one of the most frustrating players to watch on this team. Physically talented? Yes. Takes plays off? Yes. Tackles well? No. Makes stupid decisions? Yes.

    William Gay has looked good at times, other times not so good. I'm not ready to give up on him. At the very least he can be a good nickel back if not a starter. Remember, this is his first year as a full-time starter. He has shown some game making ability.
    I disagree... to an extent. I think the tandem of Clark and Carter stinks, but I think Troy and Clark together are a great compliment and Troy trusts Clark which is important because it allows Troy to ad lib on the field.

  5. #5
    JerryGlanville's Avatar
    Status : JerryGlanville is offline
    Rank : Superstar
    Join Date : Nov 16, 2009
    Posts : 2,786
    Threads : 49
    Last Online : Sep-12-2014 @ 03:43 PM

    Default Re: The sadest part of this mess

    Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree... to an extent. I think the tandem of Clark and Carter stinks, but I think Troy and Clark together are a great compliment and Troy trusts Clark which is important because it allows Troy to ad lib on the field.
    The tandem of Clark and Carter does stink, mostly because neither guy is really that good.

    The tandem of Carter and Troy looked pretty **** good against the Broncos. I liked what I saw from Carter with how he reacted to the ball.

    In any case, I'd love for the Steelers to start grooming a young FS. Clark isn't young and as today showed he's not a very good cover FS.

  6. #6
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The sadest part of this mess

    Quote Originally Posted by JerryGlanville View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The tandem of Clark and Carter does stink, mostly because neither guy is really that good.

    The tandem of Carter and Troy looked pretty **** good against the Broncos. I liked what I saw from Carter with how he reacted to the ball.

    In any case, I'd love for the Steelers to start grooming a young FS. Clark isn't young and as today showed he's not a very good cover FS.
    Carter had a good game against the Broncos. I can't dispute that, but we have all of last year and the games this year in which Troy and Clark have been a tandem and it works really well.

    Let's also not forget... with Troy out of the lineup, our secondary is very suspect and the difference is Carter is in there. Just something to think about

  7. #7
    Stone's Avatar
    Status : Stone is offline
    Rank : Major Leaguer
    Join Date : Nov 9, 2009
    Location : NE Ohio
    Posts : 1,243
    Threads : 91
    Last Online : Sep-20-2012 @ 11:34 AM

    Default Re: The sadest part of this mess

    Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Me too!
    As far as the mid season stuff, I am just looking for Tomlin to impose his will over a guy who is stinking up the joint until he can fire him! He could step in and make the ST coach do a few fundamental things, he could instruct Arians to insert a few plays at opportune times....etc.

    As it is he simply seems to watch the game and use his cute little cliches after the game.......be the ****ing boss!

  8. #8
    Steelreign's Avatar

    Status : Steelreign is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 12, 2009
    Location : Wheatfield, Indiana
    Posts : 18,943
    Threads : 227
    Last Online : Nov-02-2016 @ 07:58 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The sadest part of this mess

    I think Mundy might be the guy eventually. The saddest part is how this team is under achieving and for no good reason. They need to regain their pride, passion and purpose and Tomlin needs to step up and make it happen. This Baltimore game will make or break this season.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

  9. #9
    BlackNGoldRules's Avatar
    Status : BlackNGoldRules is offline
    Rank : Hall Of Famer
    Join Date : Nov 9, 2009
    Location : Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts : 7,065
    Threads : 126
    Last Online : Sep-22-2012 @ 11:27 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The sadest part of this mess

    Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Carter had a good game against the Broncos. I can't dispute that, but we have all of last year and the games this year in which Troy and Clark have been a tandem and it works really well.
    Considering how Denver is looking now, that win is getting less and less impressive by the week.

  10. #10
    steel0710's Avatar
    Status : steel0710 is offline
    Rank : 3rd Stringer
    Join Date : Oct 17, 2009
    Posts : 935
    Threads : 183
    Last Online : Yesterday @ 04:49 PM

    Default Re: The sadest part of this mess

    Quote Originally Posted by JerryGlanville View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The tandem of Clark and Carter does stink, mostly because neither guy is really that good.

    The tandem of Carter and Troy looked pretty **** good against the Broncos. I liked what I saw from Carter with how he reacted to the ball.

    In any case, I'd love for the Steelers to start grooming a young FS. Clark isn't young and as today showed he's not a very good cover FS.
    what you need to remember is that Timmons I don't think played against the broncos Fox played and played pretty well. It was fox that caused the pic by troy by his deep pass dropping ability. I like fox better than timmons myself and I truly wonder if Tomlin will address that issue. I also wonder if Timmons ankle is really ready to play or not cause it seems like he is quite slow and lacks the ability to cut laterally very quickly -- something fox has demonstrated that he has.

  11. #11
    JerryGlanville's Avatar
    Status : JerryGlanville is offline
    Rank : Superstar
    Join Date : Nov 16, 2009
    Posts : 2,786
    Threads : 49
    Last Online : Sep-12-2014 @ 03:43 PM

    Default Re: The sadest part of this mess

    Quote Originally Posted by steel0710 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    what you need to remember is that Timmons I don't think played against the broncos Fox played and played pretty well. It was fox that caused the pic by troy by his deep pass dropping ability. I like fox better than timmons myself and I truly wonder if Tomlin will address that issue. I also wonder if Timmons ankle is really ready to play or not cause it seems like he is quite slow and lacks the ability to cut laterally very quickly -- something fox has demonstrated that he has.
    Actually, Fox and Timmons should both be starting - Farrior is the one that needs to sit on the the bench. I don't care if he is the captain of the defense, he's a liability out there in pass coverage. I love the guy but his age is really showing. Maybe have him play on 1st and possibly 2nd, but that's it.

    This is another problem with this coaching staff, they're too buddy-buddy with the players instead of doing what's best for the team, ie, giving Farrior less playing time.

  12. #12
    beerman's Avatar
    Status : beerman is offline
    Rank : Major Leaguer
    Join Date : Oct 11, 2009
    Location : at the nudie bar.
    Posts : 1,241
    Threads : 102
    Last Online : Jan-31-2015 @ 07:44 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The sadest part of this mess

    [QUOTE=Steelreign;21248]I think Mundy might be the guy eventually. The saddest part is how this team is under achieving and for no good reason. They need to regain their pride, passion and purpose and Tomlin needs to step up and make it happen. [HIGH-LIGHT]This Baltimore game will make or break this season.[/[/HIGH-LIGHT]QUOTE]

    Not quite. We could still lose that game and have things work out. It will be a good measuring stick for sure, but also not a season-maker or season-breaker by any means.

  13. #13
    cardiacsteelers's Avatar
    Status : cardiacsteelers is offline
    Rank : Bench Warmer
    Join Date : Oct 15, 2009
    Posts : 295
    Threads : 29
    Last Online : Sep-26-2012 @ 09:08 PM

    Default Re: The sadest part of this mess

    Quote Originally Posted by JerryGlanville View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Actually, Fox and Timmons should both be starting - Farrior is the one that needs to sit on the the bench. I don't care if he is the captain of the defense, he's a liability out there in pass coverage. I love the guy but his age is really showing. Maybe have him play on 1st and possibly 2nd, but that's it.

    This is another problem with this coaching staff, they're too buddy-buddy with the players instead of doing what's best for the team, ie, giving Farrior less playing time.
    I would agree with that. Farrior just can't cover anymore. He is still ok against the run, but he's really hurting the team on passing downs.

    Although I don't think Timmons is 100% yet.

    Part of the problem though is getting to the QB. This problem reared it's head in 2006 and 2007 and then everyone thought the secondary was better than it was last year when they were getting to the QB. As bad as KC has been all year on protecting the QB we should have been in his face all day. I don't know if teams have figured Harrison and Woodley out or what the deal is there. They'll have their moments but then they go missing for long stretches.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •