Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC 107 Official: BJ Penn v. Diego Sanchez

sjdrewk

Default UFC 107 Official: BJ Penn v. Diego Sanchez

UFC 107 official for Dec. 12 in Memphis, Tenn.; Penn vs. Sanchez to headline
    MMAjunkie.com Staff, MMAjunkie.com
    8 hours, 44 minutes ago
    Buzz up! 0
    Print
    Just as Quinton "Rampage" Jackson told us all in July, the UFC is headed to Memphis, Tenn.

Of course, the former light heavyweight champ isn't going to be on the card.

Instead, UFC 107 will officially be headlined by a lightweight title fight between current champ, B.J. Penn (11-4-1 MMA, 7-3-1 UFC) and challenger Diego Sanchez (17-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC).

The UFC today officially announced the long-rumored "UFC 107: Penn vs. Sanchez," which takes place Dec. 12 at FedExForum in Memphis, Tenn.

UFC president Dana White said he was looking forward to seeing each main-event fighter competing in the wight class in which they perform best.

"In this sport it sometimes takes years for fighters to find the weight class where they're at their best," White stated in today's official release. "I don't think there's any question that B.J. Penn and Diego Sanchez have finally found their homes at 155 pounds, making the UFC 107 main event a fight between the best Penn and Sanchez we've ever seen.

"B.J. hasn't lost in this weight class in years, and Diego has looked unstoppable in his lightweight fights, and when these two meet in the center of the octagon, it's going to make our first trip to Memphis one fight fans will never forget."

In addition to the evening's main event, the UFC also officially announced a heavyweight bout between former champ Frank Mir (12-4 MMA, 10-4 UFC) and French striker Cheick Kongo (14-5-1 MMA, 7-3 UFC), as well as a welterweight clash between Thiago Alves (16-5 MMA, 9-3 UFC) and Paulo Thiago (11-1 MMA, 1-1 UFC).

Tickets for "UFC 107: Penn vs. Sanchez" are set to go on sale to the general public on Oct. 24.

True to White's previous promises of adjusting live gate expectations to fit with the economies of various regions throughout the country, the organization has scaled back ticket prices for the event. Price points are set at $350, $250, $150, $100, $75 and $50.

The event's full card currently includes:

Champ B.J. Penn vs. Diego Sanchez (for lightweight title)
    Kenny Florian vs. Clay Guida*
    Cheick Kongo vs. Frank Mir
    Thiago Alves vs. Paulo Thiago
    Paul Buentello vs. Todd Duffee*
    Alan Belcher vs. Wilson Gouveia*
    Kevin Burns vs. T.J. Grant*
    Ricardo Funch vs. Johny Hendricks*
    Houston Alexander vs. TBA*
    * - Not officially announced

For the latest on "UFC 107: Penn vs. Sanchez," stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That card looks kinda lackluster except for the main event.I'm a big fan of Sanchez,but I don't see him beating Penn.BJ is one tough mother****er.

sjdrewk

Yeah, I pretty much agree with you....they've got pretty good big name fighters up and down the card but really there are only maybe three or four good match ups...but from that, only perhaps 2 or 3 that you really care about.

Well,the Florian/Guida fight has potential,but thats about it.

sjdrewk

Four of the more interesting matches to me are:

Champ B.J. Penn vs. Diego Sanchez for the lightweight belt
    Kenny Florian vs. Clay Guida (It's not even official yet...I really can take or leave this one)
    Cheick Kongo vs. Frank Mir ( Now this one can be either real exciting or really boring. Kongo needs a win badly)
    Thiago Alves vs. Paulo Thiago(This one is a big time hook up right here. Not really well known these two guys, but this could be a dynamite fight.. Really two of the top guys in their weight class. Tons of Title implications involved in this match up.)

Houston Alexander versus TBA is one that is interesting.lol.seriously, I want to see what him fight.

Threads : 67
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by sjdrewk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Four of the more interesting matches to me are:

Champ B.J. Penn vs. Diego Sanchez for the lightweight belt
    Kenny Florian vs. Clay Guida (It's not even official yet...I really can take or leave this one)
    Cheick Kongo vs. Frank Mir ( Now this one can be either real exciting or really boring. Kongo needs a win badly)
    [HIGH-LIGHT]Thiago Alves[/HIGH-LIGHT] vs. Paulo Thiago(This one is a big time hook up right here. Not really well known these two guys, but this could be a dynamite fight.. Really two of the top guys in their weight class. Tons of Title implications involved in this match up.)

Houston Alexander versus TBA is one that is interesting.lol.seriously, I want to see what him fight.
    GSP knocked him down on the food chain after he totally destroyed him

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    GSP knocked him down on the food chain after he totally destroyed him
    Doesn't change the fact that the winner of this fight will probably be in line for a title shot...very soon.
  • Reply With Quote Reply With Quote   ...to the topTop

Default Re: UFC 107 Official: BJ Penn v. Diego Sanchez

Alves won't be earning a title shot for a while. It wasn't that long ago that he got his title shot. He was supposed to be GSP's toughest fight ever. GSP made him look like an amateur. I'm excited for the Guida fight. I really like Guida but don't know if he really has a chance to win. But if he comes out fighting like he did with Sanchez maybe he can. Kid has so much heart. Love the "Carpenter"

sjdrewk

Alves won't be earning a title shot for a while. "
    GSP stomping him, beating him down...all that is irrelevant. If Thiago wins this fight, he will get a title shot. Doesn't matter what happened in the GSP fight. He wins this fight and stays the number 1 contender, he gets another shot at GSP. But he's gotta win, if he loses this fight, then he won't be heard from for a while- and he can easily lose this fight. The guy he is fighting is ****ing awesome.
    Last edited by sjdrewk; Oct-16-2009 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sjdrewk View Post
    GSP stomping him, beating him down...all that is irrelevant. If Thiago wins this fight, he will get a title shot. Doesn't matter what happened in the GSP fight. He wins this fight and stays the number 1 contender, he gets another shot at GSP. But he's gotta win, if he loses this fight, then he won't be heard from for a while- and he can easily lose this fight. The guy he is fighting is ****ing awesome.
    This is his first fight since he lost the title fight. He has to work his way up some more. He will at least have to fight Jon Fitch before he gets another shot. And good luck getting past him. Jon Fitch took a complete *** whoopin from GSP for 5 rounds. You can't get destroyed in a title fight, come back, fight one fight and get another title shot. It just doesn't work that way. At least not in welterweight where there are so many good and talented fighters. Maybe if this was heavyweight it would happen just because there aren't that many top tier fighters in heavyweight.
    If your theory was true, Thales Leites would've gotten an immediate title shot again at Anderson. But Thales Leites sucked it up against Anderson and got knocked back down on the food chain. Because he was no where near as talented or capable as Anderson. Same thing for Alves. He has no business in the cage with GSP. None at all.

sjdrewk

This is his first fight since he lost the title fight. He has to work his way up some more. He will at least have to fight Jon Fitch before he gets another shot.
    No Alves doesn't. Where did you get that? Fitch might fight GSP next. If that happens and Alves wins this upcoming fight against Thiago, then Alves might be next to fight the winner of a possible GSP/Fitch title fight -that's if Alves beat Thiago.. But who said Alves would get past this fight? Or Fitch if Alves fought him?

If GSP fights Fitch first and ALves wins his fight and the next one then he'll fight the winner of Fitch/GSP. Period. And that's if GSP fights Fitch first. We don't know what GSP is going to do. But I know this: There isn't anyone else other than these three fighters: Alves, Thiago, Fitch that can be next to fight GSP. And I don't have to look **** up before I type. I know that these three fighters are vying for the welterweight title shot against GSP. Who else is there for WW? Matt hughes? Koscheck? Swick? Not them. Not right now. Point I made is totally valid, Alves can set himself up to fight GSP very soon in 6 to 10 months from now and in the fight game that is very soon. UFC 100 was in July or August so by then it would be almost a year.

Its already officially announced that @ UFC 105 Mike Swick is going to face Dan Hardy and the winner gets a title shot. Alves is at least two fights away from a title shot. Fitch could maybe win one more against someone with a decent name to earn one BUT Alves and Fitch both were completely dominated by GSP so most people are not too excited about a rematch for either of them. Besides Fitch just boringly dominated Paulo Thiago so that really didn't help his stock. Alves is about to fight the same guy in his first fight since his fight @ 100. So lets give the guy a chance to redeem himself before we anoint him heir to the thrown.

sjdrewk

So lets give the guy a chance to redeem himself before we anoint him heir to the thrown.
    Okay so tell me who anointed Alves? I don't even like him so what are you talking about? I really don't even care who fights GSP or who doesn't but you are not going to change my opinion because Fitch, Thiago and Alves are the only legit contenders as of right now. Doesn't matter if they both got beat by St. Pierre. It doest matter if Swick has a fight and they announced the winner to fight GSP. Swick has no chance to beat St. Pierre....so sooner or later it comes down to those three: Thiago, ALves, Fitch. I said what I wanted to say and I am tired of going in circles about this.

So of those 3 who has the best chance?

So of those 3 who has the best chance?
    To beat GSP??None.I'm all for seeing Koscheck or even Hughes again for that matter.

• Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information