Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Single Worst Coaching Move...

Threads : 150
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default The Single Worst Coaching Move...

...that cost us the most this season.

Yeah we can pick apart the atrocious Special (Ed) Teams, the cruddy (mostly) offensive playcalling, the too lax defense etc, but I think that there's one very clear coaching blunder, that falls square on Tomlin, that absolutely killed us the most this year.

Right here all the way back in Game 1:

Steelers’ Polamalu hurt, does not return against Titans

The sheer idiocy of having your most indispensable defensive (and arguably for the entire team) player on the field for a stinking field goal attempt, in which he subsequently got hurt and missed time and could still have been somewhat nagging which led to the second injury, cost us the most. All of the games we've lost this year have been games that Troy hasn't played. In all of those games, our defense either couldn't hold leads, let teams drive on them, and just looked out of sorts.

Look how we've performed with him out of the lineup. The proof is in the pudding and that move cost us the most this year.

Threads : 29

Default Re: The Single Worst Coaching Move...

That was a tough break, but I don't think that was a coaching move. I remember hearing Carter say he was supposed to be in not Troy and he felt bad because he knew Troy's temper was getting the better of him and he didn't insist he go in.
    I guess the coaches could be blamed for not calling a timeout when they saw Troy in and pull him out.
    Injuries happen and it sucks that Troy was injured on a FG attempt, but **** happens. This defense should be able to overcome the loss of one player.

Threads : 91

Quote Originally Posted by vandelay industries View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...that cost us the most this season.

Yeah we can pick apart the atrocious Special (Ed) Teams, the cruddy (mostly) offensive playcalling, the too lax defense etc, but I think that there's one very clear coaching blunder, that falls square on Tomlin, that absolutely killed us the most this year.

Right here all the way back in Game 1:

Steelers Polamalu hurt, does not return against Titans

The sheer idiocy of having your most indispensable defensive (and arguably for the entire team) player on the field for a stinking field goal attempt, in which he subsequently got hurt and missed time and could still have been somewhat nagging which led to the second injury, cost us the most. All of the games we've lost this year have been games that Troy hasn't played. In all of those games, our defense either couldn't hold leads, let teams drive on them, and just looked out of sorts.

Look how we've performed with him out of the lineup. The proof is in the pudding and that move cost us the most this year.
    Happens on most teams. Your best athletes are on the field when there is a chance of making a big play.....a block, or a block and a run back.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiacsteelers View Post
    That was a tough break, but I don't think that was a coaching move. I remember hearing Carter say he was supposed to be in not Troy and he felt bad because he knew Troy's temper was getting the better of him and he didn't insist he go in.
    I guess the coaches could be blamed for not calling a timeout when they saw Troy in and pull him out.
    Injuries happen and it sucks that Troy was injured on a FG attempt, but **** happens. This defense should be able to overcome the loss of one player.

That makes it even worse a coaching blunder then.

Who runs the team, the players (just going in whenever they feel like it) or the coaches?

Of course **** happens and it's football, you can't play being afraid of being hurt, but there's no way in hell that he should be in there on such a, typically, routine play. The only thing worse is that he'd have been in on an extra point attempt.

Threads : 691

Happens on most teams. Your best athletes are on the field when there is a chance of making a big play.....a block, or a block and a run back.
    It needs to happen on the kick coverage teams.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Agreed.There is no way that you can say that about coaching...............especially in Troy's case.That guy is hurt EVERY year.I usually agree with van on alot of issues,but this one is beyond ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    Agreed.There is no way that you can say that about coaching...............especially in Troy's case.That guy is hurt EVERY year.I usually agree with van on alot of issues,but this one is beyond ridiculous.

Les, you'll get pretty far in life agreeing with me my man.

Now, I may be wrong, but I'm never in doubt, if you get my drift.

I won't be convinced otherwise. There is no blue way in hell that your most indispensable player should be on the field for plays like that.

Stone, there's a much much better chance of a player being hurt than a run back on a blocked fg.

I won't be convinced otherwise. There is no blue way in hell that your most indispensable player should be on the field for plays like that.

Actually,our most indispensable player is Ben,but whatever.My point is that Troy gets hurt every year.What difference does it make if it was on STs or not??Most likely would have happened at some point during the season anyway given his track record..........and it could have been far worse.Could have lost him for the season.Thats the kind of **** you have to live with in the NFL.Players get hurt.Good players get hurt.Even God almighty himself was out for the season last year.I'm all for doing whatever it takes to get a win for your team.............even if that means putting Ben on STs.

Threads : 140
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I tend to agree. Polamalu shouldn't have been in for a field goal attempt.

Regardless, it's amazing how different this team is with and without him. Amazing how the two years the Steelers won the Superbowl, he was healthy and in all season. 2005, he had stellar numbers. Last year, same deal. The Steelers won.

This year, well... I like their chances if this team is entirely healthy come playoff time. It's the only way we have a chance. I don't think this team is out of the playoff hunt just yet though. Being kind of a numbers cruncher. With the Bengals losing yesterday to the even more pathetic Raiders, the Steelers are still in good shape. They'd right now be a 6th seed, but they are still in control of their own destiny. NOW, can they get healthy for the mid december to February push? That's the question, confuscious.

Actually,our most indispensable player is Ben,but whatever.My point is that Troy gets hurt every year.What difference does it make if it was on STs or not??Most likely would have happened at some point during the season anyway given his track record..........and it could have been far worse.Could have lost him for the season.Thats the kind of **** you have to live with in the NFL.Players get hurt.Good players get hurt.Even God almighty himself was out for the season last year.I'm all for doing whatever it takes to get a win for your team.............even if that means putting Ben on STs.

I don't know Les, and this can be a discussion in a separate thread, but I'd argue that Troy is more indispensable than Ben. Look at it, Ben's been in for every win or loss. Troy's been in for every win and out for every loss. With Troy out, the defense gives up too many points and gets no turnovers, thus making Ben and the offense have to work harder to keep up. When Troy's in on defense, they stop the other team and Ben and the offense don't have to do as much. I'd put Troy at #1 and Ben at, a very close, #2.

Also Les, it makes a huge difference whether or not Troy got hurt on a normal defensive play (since he's a defensive player) or a special teams FG block attempt. I wouldn't have brought this up would he have gotten hurt, for example, making a tackle on defense. If he would've gotten hurt on a normal defensive play, I'd have easily chalked it up to "hey that's football", but not on a play when he shouldn't even be in the game.

I blame the coaches for a lot of things but not Troy's injury. Players have been sneaking on the field forever. That is the way Carter made it sound. If you'll remember in that game not only was Troy on fire but he was also letting his temper get out of hand. I'm sure that's why he was on the field. Coaches are on the sidelines and they call in the personnel but they can't see everything that is going on.
    I'm sure if they seen Troy out there they were like what the hell is he doing. These are men and they know who is supposed to be in on different downs and certain situations. Coaches trust that the right people will do what they're supposed to do. As he was taking Carter's spot, only he and Carter knew. That is not hard for me to see.

Troy shouldn't of agreed to be on Madden.

I don't know Les, and this can be a discussion in a separate thread, but I'd argue that Troy is more indispensable than Ben. Look at it, Ben's been in for every win or loss. Troy's been in for every win and out for every loss. With Troy out, the defense gives up too many points and gets no turnovers, thus making Ben and the offense have to work harder to keep up. When Troy's in on defense, they stop the other team and Ben and the offense don't have to do as much. I'd put Troy at #1 and Ben at, a very close, #2.

Also Les, it makes a huge difference whether or not Troy got hurt on a normal defensive play (since he's a defensive player) or a special teams FG block attempt. I wouldn't have brought this up would he have gotten hurt, for example, making a tackle on defense. If he would've gotten hurt on a normal defensive play, I'd have easily chalked it up to "hey that's football", but not on a play when he shouldn't even be in the game.
    Well,we could argue all day about if Troy should have been in on that play or not,but I say we just agree to disagree.

As far as who is the more important player,it would be tough to say that we win ANY games without Ben at QB.We have won without Troy every year since he's entered the league.Guy is hurt ALL THE TIME.I'm not trying to downplay his importance to the team,but he just isn't as crucial to this team as Ben.

Well,we could argue all day about if Troy should have been in on that play or not,but I say we just agree to disagree.

As far as who is the more important player,it would be tough to say that we win ANY games without Ben at QB.We have won without Troy every year since he's entered the league.Guy is hurt ALL THE TIME.I'm not trying to downplay his importance to the team,but he just isn't as crucial to this team as Ben.
    Well I'm going to have to disagree we have won games without Ben. They won 2 out of 3 in 2005 and the opener against Miami in 2006.

But I always think it hurts more to lose your starting QB than a defensive player even one as good as Troy.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiacsteelers View Post
    Well I'm going to have to disagree we have won games without Ben. They won 2 out of 3 in 2005 and the opener against Miami in 2006.
    Well,my point was with this team this year.Does anyone think we would have fared better with Charlie Batch under center?The same Charlie Batch that is now out for 6 weeks after bein in for four plays yesterday??

Well,my point was with this team this year.Does anyone think we would have fared better with Charlie Batch under center?The same Charlie Batch that is now out for 6 weeks after bein in for four plays yesterday??
    I'm just giving you a hard time.

How many snaps did Charlie play last year before breaking his collar bone? He lasted 4 snaps yesterday. It's obviously time to cut ties with Charlie.

Belicheat won 11 games with Cassell, Cassell beat our defense yesterday. Let's see if the coaches are worth a **** or not and see what they can do for at least one game without Ben.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information