Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No Team Unity?

Threads : 150
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default No Team Unity?

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09328/1015835-66.stm

Linebacker James Harrison questioned the unity of the Steelers after Sunday's loss to the lowly Chiefs.

"I just think we need to start playing team ball, whatever needs to be done for the team."

Asked if that were not happening, Harrison said, "I don't think it has."

However, Harrison was at a loss to explain exactly what it is they have not been doing.

"I don't know. Like I said, I think we need to do what it is we're doing well and continue to do whatever it may be that game, passing the ball or running the ball. If we're playing defense well without pressuring, then we need to continue to do that.

"We just have to play better as a whole team."

If what he says is true, then that falls on both the players for being too lax and the coaches for being too buddy buddy and allowing them to get that way.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: No Team Unity?

Team complacency leads to a lack of focus throughout an entire game, lack of attitude, energy, full game desire and other things that are usually that deciding factor in game within a league that has as much parity as the NFL does.

On one hand someone could say "these players are being paid millions, they should always be focused and not need a lift me up"... on the other hand, players are no more "people" than the rest of us with the same ups and downs and everything else regardless of how much they make. Sometimes it takes a kick in the ***, a scolding from a superior, a superior finding the positive left me ups etc... This season is one of those types of seasons and coming into the season you'd be lying if you didn't think there'd be a superbowl hangover affect regarding intensity, attitude and focus from the players. There always is. The glue is the Head coach. in 2006, bill cowher failed being that glue. Right now, Mike Tomlin is failing at being that glue. Tomlin needs to find a way to get this team focused for 60 minutes

Threads : 122

I think a lot of this boils down to Tomlin giving them a pass this season right from the start. Easiest training camp in St. Vincent history. Full week off on the bye week. Guys resting every week getting in only one or two practices.

Threads : 10

I think that those comments need to be read between the lines a little more than what people are.

Those comments really seem to be a criticism of the coaching during a game.

Re-read them with that in mind.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Unfortunately, we have seen players on teams that are struggling speak out and "vent"... We've said in the past that "at least we have a quality team and that would never happen here"... Well, I think we (as fans) are realizing that in reality, as hard as it may be to swallow, our team is not too much different than alot of others.

... Just my 2 cents.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 60

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJackGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think that those comments need to be read between the lines a little more than what people are.

Those comments really seem to be a criticism of the coaching during a game.

Re-read them with that in mind.
    It can't be coaching Tomlin won a Super Bowl .

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    Unfortunately, we have seen players on teams that are struggling speak out and "vent"... We've said in the past that "at least we have a quality team and that would never happen here"... Well, I think we (as fans) are realizing that in reality, as hard as it may be to swallow, our team is not too much different than alot of others.

... Just my 2 cents.

Between Tomlin, Arians, Holmes and now Harrison this team appears to be on the verge of implounding. I don't even want to know what it's going to happen if the Steelers lose to the Ravens.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    I think a lot of this boils down to Tomlin giving them a pass this season right from the start. Easiest training camp in St. Vincent history. Full week off on the bye week. Guys resting every week getting in only one or two practices.
    Yup and it's not strange for this to happen. always seems to happen after teams win Superbowls unless it's a Belichick coached team, since that guy is overly obsessed with winning.

good, hard practices are very important. Remember last season, ben hadn't practiced for WEEKS. He was always "nursing an injury" and Tomlin kept giving him all of the practices off. Ben and the recievers weren't on the same page, Ben and the line weren't on the same page, the offense was really completely in the ****ter. Eventually Tomlin asserted himself (which I want to see him do with the problems we have now) and told Ben he was practicing every day they have practice and Ben did. the offense started to show some improvement, Ben and the WR's were on the same page, the O-Line started to improve as a result etc...

Now, I don't know if practice is an issue now, but it's the whole asserting your foot up the asses of others to get better performances. That's what I'm talking 'bout

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Yup and it's not strange for this to happen. always seems to happen after teams win Superbowls unless it's a Belichick coached team, since that guy is overly obsessed with winning.

good, hard practices are very important. Remember last season, ben hadn't practiced for WEEKS. He was always "nursing an injury" and Tomlin kept giving him all of the practices off. Ben and the recievers weren't on the same page, Ben and the line weren't on the same page, the offense was really completely in the ****ter. Eventually Tomlin asserted himself (which I want to see him do with the problems we have now) and told Ben he was practicing every day they have practice and Ben did. the offense started to show some improvement, Ben and the WR's were on the same page, the O-Line started to improve as a result etc...

Now, I don't know if practice is an issue now, but it's the whole asserting your foot up the asses of others to get better performances. That's what I'm talking 'bout
    In Belicheats defense when was the last time the Patriots lost to a bottom dweller? We seem to lose to one or two yearly.

Harrison should have said, " it's difficult for even a great defense like ours to keep opponents down to one or two touchddowns and win the game when, you have an offensive cordinator that can't manage a game. "

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    Harrison should have said, " it's difficult for even a great defense like ours to keep opponents down to one or two touchddowns and win the game when, you have an offensive cordinator that can't manage a game. "
    Tomlin would prefer to win games "ugly" or "without style points". When you let bad teams hang around bad things happen.

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post

... Just my 2 cents.
    Harrison's comments were really tame and kind of cliche.

It's not like he called the coach a homo or anything even close to that.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy View Post
    Tomlin would prefer to win games "ugly" or "without style points". When you let bad teams hang around bad things happen.
    I don't think anyone prefers to 'win ugly'.

That is all just **** they say after the fact to ease the sense of doom coming from almost losing.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy View Post
    In Belicheats defense when was the last time the Patriots lost to a bottom dweller? We seem to lose to one or two yearly.
    Well..... when you have the answers for the test....

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    OR

"When our offense can put up 24 on the board, there's no reason why this defense can't keep the Chiefs monstrous offense under that amount"

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information