Thread: Steelers Team Report

Threads : 407
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Steelers Team Report

Steelers Team Report
    Yahoo! Sports
    Nov 25, 2:23 am EST

INSIDE SLANT

The Steelers reached overtime of their 10th game before someone other than Ben Roethlisberger took a snap at quarterback, and now they’ve lost backup Charlie Batch, probably for the season.

Roethlisberger appears to be OK after leaving in overtime of Sunday’s 27-24 loss in Kansas City to what coach Mike Tomlin said was a “concussion-oriented thing.” The quarterback said after the game he was OK, and he was being evaluated Monday by doctors to make sure that indeed was the case.

However, Batch will undergo surgery Tuesday or Wednesday to repair a broken left wrist he injured on the Steelers’ final series of the game. The Steelers are likely to elevate second-year pro Dennis Dixon to the backup job and sign someone to the practice squad.

Roethlisberger had one of his best days, completing 32 of 42 for 398 yards and three touchdowns, and neither of his two interceptions was his fault.

[HIGH-LIGHT]The Steelers had an opportunity over the past two weeks to nearly put the AFC North Division in their pocket, playing Cincinnati at home and at Kansas City, but they lost both and still trail the Bengals in the division by one game.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

Yet the injuries are piling up. Troy Polamalu is out indefinitely with a sprained PCL in his left knee, starting guard Chris Kemoeatu left Sunday’s game with a sprained MCL, Batch is out, they’ve lost starting left defensive end Aaron Smith for the season and they have to play their nemesis, the Ravens, in Baltimore on Sunday night.

“We’re not where we want to be,” wide receiver Hines Ward said. “We have six games left. We’ll see what kind of character this team has.”

NOTES, QUOTES

—Second-year Chiefs linebacker Andy Studebaker, making his first NFL start, had two interceptions vs. the Steelers. [HIGH-LIGHT]That’s two more than Steelers cornerbacks have combined for this year.[/HIGH-LIGHT] Dropped 2 in the game alone.

[HIGH-LIGHT]• The Steelers allowed two passes over 40 yards to the Chiefs, doubling their total for the season. They allowed only two over 40 all of the 2008 season.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

• The four kickoff returns for touchdowns against the Steelers (in the past five games) tied an NFL record set by the 1998 Minnesota Vikings.

“We’ve been struggling over the past few weeks, and we haven’t found the answer yet,” said Keyaron Fox, one of two special teams co-captains. “We’ve tried different things, tried different schemes, different personnel; can’t get the job done. We have to go back in the lab and try again.”

STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL

Player Notes

• LB James Harrison got his 10th sack Sunday, on pace to equal the club-record 16 he had last season. He also recovered a fumble by the Chiefs that set up a score.

• RB Willie Parker finally got into the game plan. After carrying only twice in the previous three games, he had six carries for 24 yards playing every third series Sunday.

• SS Troy Polamalu missed Sunday’s game with a sprained PCL in his left knee and is likely to miss this week’s game in Baltimore.

• QB Ben Roethlisberger’s 398 yards passing vs. the Chiefs are the third-most in his career.

• WR Hines Ward caught a season-high 10 passes for 128 yards and one touchdown Sunday to give him 63 for 798 yards and five touchdowns.

Report Card Vs . CHIEFS

Passing Offense: B—Ben Roethlisberger had one of his better days, completing 32 of 42 passes for 398 yards and three touchdowns. While his two interceptions were not his fault, they were the fault of the passing game. Heath Miller allowed one to go through his hands that was picked off, and the other occurred when the QB was hit as he was throwing into the end zone. Also, Mike Wallace fumbled after catching one for 33 yards. Roethlisberger was sacked three times.

Rushing Offense: C-minus—The Steelers at least tried this time, rushing 31 times—but for only 114 yards and no touchdowns. Rashard Mendenhall led with 80 yards on 21 carries. Pittsburgh also could not get an important 2 yards in overtime on third down at the Kansas City 35-yard line. Mewelde Moore ran wide and lost 3, forcing a punt that led to the Chiefs’ winning drive.

Pass Defense: D—Matt Cassel completed only 15 passes but for 248 yards, including a 61-yarder in overtime that set up the winning field goal. He also had consecutive completions of 30 and 47 yards. He threw two touchdown passes and no interceptions; [HIGH-LIGHT]Steelers defensive backs dropped two right in their hands. [/HIGH-LIGHT][HIGH-LIGHT]The secondary also said it was confused on the 61-yard pass because it did not get the play call.[/HIGH-LIGHT] Cassel, who was sacked five times, had a 100.4 passer rating.

Rush Defense: B-plus—The Chiefs managed only 68 yards on 20 carries with Jamaal Charles leading the way with 58 yards on 17 tries. They did not score a touchdown, and their long run was 8 yards.

Special Teams: F—The comedy of errors continued as the Steelers’ kickoff team allowed an opening touchdown, the fourth TD against them in the past five games. Stefan Logan did a little better job returning both punts (10.7-yard average) and kickoffs (28.8 average), and Jeff Reed made his only field-goal try, but it wasn’t enough to offset that opening gaffe.

Coaching: F—Mike Tomlin, for the first time as Pittsburgh’s coach, publicly took the blame for the loss. It’s apparent the Steelers cannot coach the kickoff coverage team no matter what they do. [HIGH-LIGHT]The call for a pitch wide to Moore in overtime when they needed 2 yards to keep what might have been the game-winning drive was highly questionable. The secondary was confused on the last play, a 61-yard pass to the 4.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

IMO...nailed it.

sjdrewk

Default Re: Steelers Team Report

Just a general comment:

It's been just a really strange season so far.....this season will test you as a Stiller fan- nothing makes sense so far- some of us are spoiled so losing two in a row twice in a season will have us proclaiming the sky is falling- my thing is, as a Stiller fan, just keep the faith. That doesn't mean blindly saying everything is going to be okay, it just means support the team when they are down. Something tells me this team has another run in them and they will make the playoffs and from there, anything can happen.

I do not like when they lose, understand that 2 losses in a row happens, but cannot deal with it when it involves losing to a team they should not. This one is a hard pill to swallow and I will state it again...if we miss the playoffs by one game, this will be the game everyone will refer to moreso than any previous loss they have had, or any loss they may incur, unless it too is against a team of this caliper. (OMG please don't this happen)

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by bleedBnG58 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I do not like when they lose, understand that 2 losses in a row happens, but cannot deal with it when it involves losing to a team they should not. This one is a hard pill to swallow and I will state it again...if we miss the playoffs by one game, this will be the game everyone will refer to moreso than any previous loss they have had, or any loss they may incur, unless it too is against a team of this caliper. (OMG please don't this happen)
    None of us like it when we lose.

I do not think we will miss the playoffs, but if we do, this loss is no moreso hard to deal with or look back upon than that against the Bears or Cincy #1.

Please folks, get a grip and enjoy the fact that you can see some Steelers football. You all will miss it come springtime. Don't get worked-up into a lather so much as to not enjoy the ride.

.... ****, this place is starting to sound alot like the Trib. We've had a few say they are leaving because of all the negativity. Complaining is alright, but there really is a difference as in how things are expressed. I don't want folks leaving this site because of it, and I won't let this place turn into the Trib... I will ****ing lock-down threads if need be, but I hope it never comes to that... Most folks on here were invited because they were the "best of the best"... Now is the time to show your resolve and common sense that made you respected....

bleed, I'm definitely NOT talking about you, but only using this post as an avenue to express an opinion.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

sjdrewk

I do not like when they lose, understand that 2 losses in a row happens, but cannot deal with it when it involves losing to a team they should not.
    But high caliber teams lose to teams they shouldn't all the time. Pats lost to the Jets is one example this year. It's part of the NFL. Happens every week.

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    None of us like it when we lose.

I do not think we will miss the playoffs, but if we do, this loss is no moreso hard to deal with or look back upon than that against the Bears or Cincy #1.

Please folks, get a grip and enjoy the fact that you can see some Steelers football. You all will miss it come springtime. Don't get worked-up into a lather so much as to not enjoy the ride.

.... ****, this place is starting to sound alot like the Trib. We've had a few say they are leaving because of all the negativity. Complaining is alright, but there really is a difference as in how things are expressed. I don't want folks leaving this site because of it, and I won't let this place turn into the Trib... I will ****ing lock-down threads if need be, but I hope it never comes to that... Most folks on here were invited because they were the "best of the best"... Now is the time to show your resolve and common sense that made you respected....

bleed, I'm definitely NOT talking about you, but only using this post as an avenue to express an opinion.
    I do still have ultimate faith we will be in the playoffs...and will continue to..until...or if ever...we would be mathimatically eliminated.

I am not the only one with the opinion about this particular loss...I read an article the other day...just can't find it now....after I already was of the opinion...that this loss would be one hard to forget. Now if we just totally **** the bed as far as the rest of the season....we won't deserve to make the playoffs....but in the back of our Steelers hearts...I have to believe we will all be scratching our heads about this one particularly.

The one thing about it was the true dominance in how we played most of the game......and what the stats looked like. I am about bald now from scratching.

I was lucky and only had to work the 1st 2 days of the week...but I wore my colors to work each day...and will continue to do so...win or lose...and continue to defend my team...and expect to see them in post season play.

sjdrewk

I do still have ultimate faith we will be in the playoffs...and will continue to..until...or if ever...we would be mathimatically eliminated.

I am not the only one with the opinion about this particular loss...I read an article the other day...just can't find it now....after I already was of the opinion...that this loss would be one hard to forget. Now if we just totally **** the bed as far as the rest of the season....we won't deserve to make the playoffs....but in the back of our Steelers hearts...I have to believe we will all be scratching our heads about this one particularly.

The one thing about it was the true dominance in how we played most of the game......and what the stats looked like. I am about bald now from scratching.

I was lucky and only had to work the 1st 2 days of the week...but I wore my colors to work each day...and will continue to do so...win or lose...and continue to defend my team...and expect to see them in post season play.
    I wore my Steelers gear to the KISS Concert which was right after the Faders/Bungles game on Sunday in Fader-land with thousands of Faders fans smoking weed, not one of those ****ers said **** to me other than "Hey we helped you guys out." I don't know if that was because I look like I will whip your *** or because they suck so bad that they have nothing to say. lol

I wear Stillers gear 24/7 since 1977(when the only gear I could find was at Sears) and I always will. They will bury me not wearing a suit but instead, wearing steelers gear.

The article I was referring to:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_654527.html

"If the Steelers miss the postseason, as they did the last time they were defending Super Bowl champions, they will look back on the Chiefs' game with supreme regret."

sjdrewk

The article I was referring to:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_654527.html

"If the Steelers miss the postseason, as they did the last time they were defending Super Bowl champions, they will look back on the Chiefs' game with supreme regret."
    I don't agree that this is the game that carries the most regret-to me its the game before that will carry the most regret.
  • Reply With Quote Reply With Quote   ...to the topTop

Roethlisberger appears to be OK after leaving in overtime of Sunday’s 27-24 loss in Kansas City to what coach Mike Tomlin said was a “concussion-oriented thing.”

I have my fears somewhat with the way the league (Goodell) is talking about concussions. Don't get me wrong ..I believe in protection for the players...and understand that there surely are times players feel fear that if they don't play they lose their jobs, thus pressuring them to lie and play...but some of the talk about an automatic 4 game sit down for a player that suffers one is getting out of hand IMO.

I think teams have made great strides in protecting players....they must evaluate on an individual basis...medically..not just throw them all in the same pile. There are different grades of concussions and tests that help assure a player is not suffering from the effects. It sounds like Ben is OK and I have to believe that the team (coaches, medical staff, FO or Rooneys) would not risk their franchise QB, their reputation, or anything else and play a player who they weren't 100% sure was OK....just to give them the best chance to win a game. Am I too naive?

sjdrewk

Too many concussions for Ben so early in his career and so close together- I am worried about this.

Quote Originally Posted by sjdrewk View Post
    I don't agree that this is the game that carries the most regret-to me its the game before that will carry the most regret.
    ... I've regretted all of the losses. None moreso than another.... I seem to be able to rationalize each one down to one or two issues, and it makes me sick.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Too many concussions for Ben so early in his career and so close together- I am worried about this.
    Agreed muchly.... One name.... Troy Aikman.

I do not understand why the league just doesn't pass a rule for the new helmets, if they think they will help.

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    ... I've regretted all of the losses. None moreso than another.... I seem to be able to rationalize each one down to one or two issues, and it makes me sick.
    I put more emphasis on the Bungles loss(the 2nd one) because it came when the team was ready to take off and rumble over the rest of the schedule. The momentum was sky high after beating Minnesota and the Donkos- the Bungle loss killed that momentum, it put us in a division hole, and we also lost Troy. This is the game that I put the most regret more than the others, those losses in the beginning of the season, the team overcame them with the 5 gm winning streak and were put in the past, losing to the Bungles for a 2nd time wiped that all away.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information