Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Ben saying he might sit out?

      
  1. #1
    cardiacsteelers's Avatar
    Status : cardiacsteelers is offline
    Rank : Bench Warmer
    Join Date : Oct 15, 2009
    Posts : 295
    Threads : 29
    Last Online : Sep-26-2012 @ 09:08 PM

    Default Ben saying he might sit out?

    Although I believe after watching the hit to his head that he should sit out, I'm still taking this with a grain of salt. This new NFL Network guy is no Scheffer and he's gotten more wrong than right this year. However, if there is any truth to this at all, it kind of ****es me off because even if I disagree with Tomlin and the team on him playing, you don't spring this on them on Friday. Dixon could have used all the snaps if he wasn't going to play.

    http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/11/27/roet...r-may-sit-out/

    Ben Roethlisberger, who suffered a concussion Sunday in Kansas City but was symptom free and able to practice all week, may opt to sit out Sunday night’s game against the Ravens, according to a league source. Roethlisberger was officially listed as questionable by the Steelers and widely expected to play, but informed coach Mike Tomlin Friday that he might sit out the game as a precaution, according to the source.

    Roethlisberger told Tomlin he fears taking another blow to the head so soon after being knocked from a game, and will make a final decision on his playing status on Saturday morning, before team meetings, according to the source. The message caught the organization completely by surprise, as Roethlisberger made it through a full week of practice without complications and, until Friday afternoon, had given every indication he would play.

    Roethlisberger, who has suffered concussions in the past, is the only veteran quarterback on the roster. Backup Charlie Batch is out after a wrist injury, and youngster Dennis Dixon is now the primary back-up, and now the potential starter in a key game. Roethlisberger has waffled on his playing status dealing with certain injuries in the past, and the team does not have a read on which way he will lean come Saturday, with one source who knows Roethlisberger calling it an “hour-to-hour” situation at this point.

    The only other quarterback on the roster is Tyler Palko, who was just signed to the practice squad this week. The Steelers worked out veterans Patrick Ramsey and Todd Bouman Thursday, and though both performed, well did not sign either due to the expectation Roethlisberger would play. Neither veteran knows the system well enough to play this Sunday in Baltimore, so if Roethlisberger opts not to start, the Steelers would have to gauge whether or not he is open to serving as the backup or emergency quarterback.

    Concussions have become an increasing concern around the NFL, and the Steelers will continue to take every precaution, with Roethlisberger able to make a determination about his status. Earlier Friday, before meeting with Tomlin, the Pro Bowl quarterback pronounced himself ready to play to the media, but the Steelers are most definitely uncertain about that reality now.

  2. #2
    rockcr's Avatar
    Status : rockcr is offline
    Rank : Major Leaguer
    Join Date : Nov 23, 2009
    Location : rockford,il
    Posts : 1,015
    Threads : 52
    Last Online : Oct-03-2015 @ 09:45 AM
    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ben saying he might sit out?

    Quote Originally Posted by cardiacsteelers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Although I believe after watching the hit to his head that he should sit out, I'm still taking this with a grain of salt. This new NFL Network guy is no Scheffer and he's gotten more wrong than right this year. However, if there is any truth to this at all, it kind of ****es me off because even if I disagree with Tomlin and the team on him playing, you don't spring this on them on Friday. Dixon could have used all the snaps if he wasn't going to play.
    If he didn,t say that they better fire that ****er tommorowi cant stand sports writers!

  3. #3
    BATMAN's Avatar
    Status : BATMAN is offline
    Rank : Bench Warmer
    Join Date : Nov 2, 2009
    Location : Gotham City
    Posts : 478
    Threads : 18
    Last Online : Feb-11-2013 @ 10:40 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ben saying he might sit out?

    Just last night on the news, Ben said he feels fine but all and all, he said it will be on the doctors and coaches to make the final call.

    I just got back from my nephews wedding because my smallest daughter was too tired to remain. Kevin Colbert was there at the wedding. My nephews new wife and Kevin are cousins. We parked next to each other, walked in together and when we were hanging up our jackets, I kept wondering, " where do I know this guy from ? "

    I thought maybe he was another engineer or someone that I've known in the past. Later on I asked my sisternlaw if she knew who he was because he looked too familiar. She laughed and said, " your only conversations revolve around the Steelers 24/7 all year long and you don't know who he is ? It's Kevin Colbert now put your glasses on.

    I didn't want to bother him because I'm sure he would like to have a personal night without being hounded by fans. Had I thought of it I would have asked the question if Ben was good to go.
    BTW, did Kevin play in the NFL because he is short.

  4. #4
    Palmetto Steel's Avatar
    Status : Palmetto Steel is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 9, 2009
    Posts : 23,379
    Threads : 3263
    Last Online : Nov-30-2015 @ 06:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ben saying he might sit out?

    Concussions can be a scary thing as we all already know.... "Symptom free" didn't get the job done for him before when he tried to play against Oakland after one... I'm sure this may be apples to oranges, but nonetheless, I say sit him for a week.... Not a popular decision given the options, but it may be the best in the long run for him personally as well as the team....
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

  5. #5
    exNCite's Avatar
    Status : exNCite is offline
    Rank : Hall Of Famer
    Join Date : Oct 12, 2009
    Location : Wall, New Jersey, United States
    Posts : 5,589
    Threads : 413
    Last Online : Jul-14-2017 @ 06:36 PM

    Default Re: Ben saying he might sit out?

    Maybe he'll learn how to be a "smart" QB and not just a good one.

  6. #6
    BATMAN's Avatar
    Status : BATMAN is offline
    Rank : Bench Warmer
    Join Date : Nov 2, 2009
    Location : Gotham City
    Posts : 478
    Threads : 18
    Last Online : Feb-11-2013 @ 10:40 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ben saying he might sit out?

    What do you mean ?

  7. #7
    cardiacsteelers's Avatar
    Status : cardiacsteelers is offline
    Rank : Bench Warmer
    Join Date : Oct 15, 2009
    Posts : 295
    Threads : 29
    Last Online : Sep-26-2012 @ 09:08 PM

    Default Re: Ben saying he might sit out?

    Lolley's saying it's BS. Wexell's saying it could be true as the league is spoon feeding Network and Web site. Schefter is saying he heard the team is leery of playing him and Ben is leery as well.

    Which has me wondering is the league putting pressure on teams to sit them. Not that I think that is a bad thing, as I'm in the camp it should be mandatory if a player gets a concussion they sit out at least a week. IMO it's not worth the risk to the long time well being of a player. In Ben's case as a Steelers fan not only is not worth his health, it's not worth early retirement. I know everyone is looking at this one game and one season. But I'm also looking at future games and future seasons.

    So the question now is if Ben doesn't start, will they have him as the backup and if not, who is going to be the backup? Ward played QB a long time ago, I think Miller played QB in HS and Moore played but I'm not sure if it was just HS or college as well. Do they sign Palko to the roster?

    On the bright side they don't have film on Dixon and they've had to prepare assuming it would be Ben.

  8. #8
    cardiacsteelers's Avatar
    Status : cardiacsteelers is offline
    Rank : Bench Warmer
    Join Date : Oct 15, 2009
    Posts : 295
    Threads : 29
    Last Online : Sep-26-2012 @ 09:08 PM

    Default Jay Glazer says Ben is out..

    I don't think this guy has ever been wrong.

    I'm reporting Big Ben OUT w concussion. dixon gets the start. ben was suffering from exercise induced headaches, team shut him down
    http://msn.foxsports.com/Glaze


    He also says Steelers going with Dixon as starter Palko as backup.

  9. #9
    fezziwig's Avatar
    Status : fezziwig is offline
    Rank : All-Star
    Join Date : Nov 3, 2009
    Posts : 2,236
    Threads : 60
    Last Online : May-22-2017 @ 08:56 AM

    Default Re: Ben saying he might sit out?

    Yeah if the league does pass a rule that a player needsto sit out one week, you'll have some teams not report the injury at all.
    i have to say, Bens health is more important than a win, our fans wishing to seehim play etc. If he or they are not sure he is capable, there shouldn't be any discussion, sit him out.

  10. #10
    cardiacsteelers's Avatar
    Status : cardiacsteelers is offline
    Rank : Bench Warmer
    Join Date : Oct 15, 2009
    Posts : 295
    Threads : 29
    Last Online : Sep-26-2012 @ 09:08 PM

    Default Re: Ben saying he might sit out?

    Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah if the league does pass a rule that a player needsto sit out one week, you'll have some teams not report the injury at all.
    i have to say, Bens health is more important than a win, our fans wishing to seehim play etc. If he or they are not sure he is capable, there shouldn't be any discussion, sit him out.
    If they go out of the game, they can't keep it quiet. They're not going to catch everyone, just like I'm sure the teams don't catch everyone now as players don't always divulge it. But if they're hit hard enough to leave the game as batman, they should sit imo and the league should make it mandatory.

  11. #11
    BATMAN's Avatar
    Status : BATMAN is offline
    Rank : Bench Warmer
    Join Date : Nov 2, 2009
    Location : Gotham City
    Posts : 478
    Threads : 18
    Last Online : Feb-11-2013 @ 10:40 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ben saying he might sit out?

    Quote Originally Posted by cardiacsteelers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If they go out of the game, they can't keep it quiet. They're not going to catch everyone, just like I'm sure the teams don't catch everyone now as players don't always divulge it. But if they're hit hard enough to leave the game as batman, they should sit imo and the league should make it mandatory.



    huh ?

  12. #12
    rockcr's Avatar
    Status : rockcr is offline
    Rank : Major Leaguer
    Join Date : Nov 23, 2009
    Location : rockford,il
    Posts : 1,015
    Threads : 52
    Last Online : Oct-03-2015 @ 09:45 AM
    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ben saying he might sit out?

    Quote Originally Posted by BATMAN View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    huh ?
    ditto?

  13. #13
    exNCite's Avatar
    Status : exNCite is offline
    Rank : Hall Of Famer
    Join Date : Oct 12, 2009
    Location : Wall, New Jersey, United States
    Posts : 5,589
    Threads : 413
    Last Online : Jul-14-2017 @ 06:36 PM

    Default Re: Ben saying he might sit out?

    Quote Originally Posted by BATMAN View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What do you mean ?
    I mean learn when to throw the ball away, learn how to slide feet first (that's how he got hurt this time). I truly love Ben's attitude on the field, but if he wants to have a long career, he needs to play smarter.

  14. #14
    rockcr's Avatar
    Status : rockcr is offline
    Rank : Major Leaguer
    Join Date : Nov 23, 2009
    Location : rockford,il
    Posts : 1,015
    Threads : 52
    Last Online : Oct-03-2015 @ 09:45 AM
    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ben saying he might sit out?

    Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I mean learn when to throw the ball away, learn how to slide feet first (that's how he got hurt this time). I truly love Ben's attitude on the field, but if he wants to have a long career, he needs to play smarter.
    he was trying to make a play sometimes you cant slide feet first

  15. #15
    cardiacsteelers's Avatar
    Status : cardiacsteelers is offline
    Rank : Bench Warmer
    Join Date : Oct 15, 2009
    Posts : 295
    Threads : 29
    Last Online : Sep-26-2012 @ 09:08 PM

    Default Re: Ben saying he might sit out?

    Quote Originally Posted by BATMAN View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    huh ?
    If you're hit like Ben in this game or last year or Warner this year, Westbrook this year, etc. they left the game. Trainers were on the field. There is no way to hide that fact, so teams can't just not report it.

    When guys are hit in the head and don't leave the game and just think I hit my noggin, not always are coaches/trainers going to see it or know it unless the player divulges it. In this scenario and the player does report it to trainers then sure teams could not report it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •