Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: As Expected, Palko Is Active...

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default As Expected, Palko Is Active...

Steelers promote Palko to active roster
    Saturday, November 28, 2009

PITTSBURGH ─ The Steelers announced they have added depth at the quarterback position by promoting second-year QB Tyler Palko to their active roster.

Palko (6-1, 215), a Pittsburgh native, was signed to the Steelers’ practice squad earlier this week as a free agent. Palko was in training camp with the Arizona Cardinals in 2009 before being released prior to the regular season. He originally signed with the New Orleans Saints as an undrafted rookie free agent in 2007 out of Pittsburgh. Palko spent four games on the Saints’ active roster as the 3rd quarterback and the remainder of the season on New Orleans’ practice squad. He did not play in 2008 after being released by the Saints in training camp.

The Steelers made room for Palko on their active roster by releasing seventh-year veteran WR Shaun McDonald. He played in four games this year for Pittsburgh but was inactive for the past three games. McDonald did not record a reception this year for the Steelers.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: As Expected, Palko Is Active...

Could Palko be a nice surprise?

Pittsburgh Panthers
    Tyler Palko #3 QB

CAREER
    YARDS

Birth Date August 9, 1983
    Hometown IMPERIAL, PA
    Height 6-1
    Weight 215 lbs.
    Age 25

Stats Overview Passing

YEAR CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT

2004 230 409 3067 56.2 7.50 80 24 7 38 135.17

2005 193 341 2392 56.6 7.02 73 17 9 30 126.70

2006 220 322 2871 68.3 8.92 80 25 9 22 163.25

Thanx for the stats, WYsteel....

.... I had looked for them when posting this thread, but couldn't readily find them....
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Palko could be decent, although I hope to not see him Sunday:
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Palko could be decent, although I hope to not see him Sunday:
    X2.... But honestly, this could work-out in our favor..... Hell, every single one of us knows that Batch is on his last leg in this league... We now can see what Dixon can do this week against an extremely valid testing platform... If it is weak, then possibly we have a backup in Palko.

Not necessarily saying anything as far as opinion, but just offering somewhat of a "silver lining" out of all this, if one can be found....

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was thinking that if Dixon does well, maybe Palko becomes #3 and Dixon can become #2. Then we become young and don't have to worry about the QB position for awhile. Hopefully years.

Threads : 29

The only thing I know about Palko was he looked better than St Pierre in the pre season. I remember the announcers saying St Pierre was told he could compete for the #2 job with Leinhart and thinking he should be competing for the #3 job and I'm not sure the other guy isn't beating him out for that.

Not that I'd be all that comfortable if Palko had to come into the game, but then I wouldn't be either with the guys we brought in or Garcia as they all know zip of our offense.

But with all the negativity and we've already lost the game and the season is over that is floating around the net today. Here is some positives:

1.Ravens have prepared for Ben.
    2.Ravens have no film on Dixon.
    3.Dixon has been groomed at the QB position behind a smart guy, Charlie and a talented guy, Ben.
    4.Dixon has a very strong arm, underthrowing Wallace should not be a problem.
    5.Ravens defense is not anything like previous defenses.
    6.They don't have Ryan.
    7.Lewis is banged up and old and slow.
    8.Suggs I believe is out.
    9.Bart Scott is no longer a Raven.
    10.Flacco hasn't been playing very well.
    11.Reed has a bum shoulder and basically has been playing one armed and he missed practice time this week with a foot injury.
    12.If we win this game with a first NFL start QB, Ray Ray will really be whining and crying after the game.
    13.We all get to see what Dixon brings.
    14.We all get to see if the team pulls together and steps up their game.
    15.We get to see how good Mendenhall can be or not be.
    16.We get to see if Arians can earn his paycheck and come up with a game plan instead of run around and make something happen.
    17.We get to see if Anderson has been earning his paycheck developing Dixon.
    18.We get to see if the defense rises to the occasion.
    19.We get to see if the ST guys we brought in help, they can't be any worse.
    20.We get to see Steelers football, people without the Ticket don't have to worry about watching the Stains, Patriots, Bungles, Cowboys, etc. The people without NFL Network don't have to worry about the game being on and them not getting to watch it.

Sorry for the long post, but I think it's time some positive energy get brought to this place. All of this negative energy could be the cause of the bad mojo.

Threads : 1632

Palko 2006 Scouting Report: Truly embodies the "field general" moniker...is a leader in word and deed who plays the quarterback position with a keen strategic mind...enters his third year as the Panthers' starter... a two-time All-Big East honoree who has All-America potential...should be considered for the Davey O'Brien Award and Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award, which annually are presented to the nation's top quarterback... the son of one of Western Pennsylvania's most successful high school coaches, Palko started drawing up football plays at 9 years of age...a lefthander, he complements his football knowledge with a highly accurate arm...also is very effective at tucking the ball and running with it when the opportunity arises... sets the pace with his work ethic and twice has been selected a Pitt captain...his three-year passing total of 5,472 yards ranks fifth all-time at Pitt.

http://www.pittsburghpanthers.com/sp...o_tyler00.html

Threads : 49

Dixon, Palko...Holy ****. Hines Ward #3?

There are some positives for the games, LET'S FOCUS ON THE POSITIVES!

Steelers will still have a winning record, even with a loss Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryGlanville View Post
    Dixon, Palko...[HIGH-LIGHT]Holy ****. Hines Ward #3[/HIGH-LIGHT]?

There are some positives for the games, LET'S FOCUS ON THE POSITIVES!

Steelers will still have a winning record, even with a loss Sunday.
    ... Actually, I think they said Ben would be the #3 if needed..... Guess Ward would only be the "emergency" qb.....

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will be scratched for Sunday night's game against the Baltimore Ravens because of his concussion and will only be the third quarterback.

Threads : 52
    Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cardiacsteelers View Post
    The only thing I know about Palko was he looked better than St Pierre in the pre season. I remember the announcers saying St Pierre was told he could compete for the #2 job with Leinhart and thinking he should be competing for the #3 job and I'm not sure the other guy isn't beating him out for that.

Not that I'd be all that comfortable if Palko had to come into the game, but then I wouldn't be either with the guys we brought in or Garcia as they all know zip of our offense.

But with all the negativity and we've already lost the game and the season is over that is floating around the net today. Here is some positives:

1.Ravens have prepared for Ben.
    2.Ravens have no film on Dixon.
    3.Dixon has been groomed at the QB position behind a smart guy, Charlie and a talented guy, Ben.
    4.Dixon has a very strong arm, underthrowing Wallace should not be a problem.
    5.Ravens defense is not anything like previous defenses.
    6.They don't have Ryan.
    7.Lewis is banged up and old and slow.
    8.Suggs I believe is out.
    9.Bart Scott is no longer a Raven.
    10.Flacco hasn't been playing very well.
    11.Reed has a bum shoulder and basically has been playing one armed and he missed practice time this week with a foot injury.
    12.If we win this game with a first NFL start QB, Ray Ray will really be whining and crying after the game.
    13.We all get to see what Dixon brings.
    14.We all get to see if the team pulls together and steps up their game.
    15.We get to see how good Mendenhall can be or not be.
    16.We get to see if Arians can earn his paycheck and come up with a game plan instead of run around and make something happen.
    17.We get to see if Anderson has been earning his paycheck developing Dixon.
    18.We get to see if the defense rises to the occasion.
    19.We get to see if the ST guys we brought in help, they can't be any worse.
    20.We get to see Steelers football, people without the Ticket don't have to worry about watching the Stains, Patriots, Bungles, Cowboys, etc. The people without NFL Network don't have to worry about the game being on and them not getting to watch it.

Sorry for the long post, but I think it's time some positive energy get brought to this place. All of this negative energy could be the cause of the bad mojo.

thats a nice post

Threads : 122

Palko at least got the ball out there for Larry Fitzgerald to catch so he has an arm.

Threads : 407

1. Dixon will likely be running for his life tomorrow night...I hope it is all for positive yardage.
    2. Early Merry Christmas present Tyler...made the roster on the team from your home town.
    3. Hope I don't have to see if he can actually play the position or not.

It will all work out in the end. Nice post cardiac, very valid and logical posts.

If Arians is smart, he will get Dixon outside the pocket and let him use his legs as well as his arm to make plays. As beat up as the Raven defense is, this might be the perfect time to exploit all those knee, ankle and leg injuries. As fast and elusive as Dixon is, he does have an extremely strong arm as well. To use him like Stewart was used in '97 and '01 might very well give us an advantage over a Raven defense that will surely be stacking the box to stop the run.
    This is just my opinion and what I would do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information