Thread: Tomlin on the Ravens

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Tomlin on the Ravens

Tomlin on the Ravens
    Sunday, November 29, 2009

Coach Mike Tomlin offers some insight on the Steelers’ opponent this week – the Baltimore Ravens.

Q. Were the signings of Corey Ivy and Rocky Boiman directly related to improving the kickoff coverage?

A. They are. Basically we brought in two men who are veteran football players and have roughly 150 special teams tackles between them. They have distinguished themselves in that way. We felt that type of action was needed to be taken in this instance.

Q. What does Boiman bring to the table?

A. He is a four-phase experienced special teams guy. He’s adept at punt protection, punt and kickoff coverage. He does it all in the special teams game.

Q. What about Corey Ivy?

A. He made his career in this league as a long-time gunner and gunner-defender. He’s adept at covering kicks and has roughly 90-95 special teams tackles.

Q. If Ben Roethlisberger plays today, will he be limited in any way?

A. If he’s allowed to play, no. And I think that’s important, because we can’t work in any gray area in regards to head injuries. If he’s cleared to play, he’s cleared to play. And if there’s any hesitation, he won’t play.

Q. Is the Baltimore Ravens defense the same that it has been in recent years?

A. They’re a talented group. They’ve had some turnover, particularly at the cornerback position. They no longer have Chris McAlister and Samari Rolle, but that’s a salty outfit and they embody the spirit of their leader, Ray Lewis.

Q. Was the loss of linebacker Bart Scott their biggest loss?

A. It was. This guy is a really good football player, of course, and he was a partner in crime, if you will, with Ray Lewis at the inside linebacker spots. But they’re getting good contributions from other guys, such as Jarret Johnson at outside linebacker and Haloti Ngata and Kelly Gregg are back in the interior of the defensive line for them.

Q. What is Jarret Johnson’s calling card?

A. Versatility. This guy lines up and come at you from a variety of locations. He can play on the line of scrimmage, he can play off the line of scrimmage. He’s rock solid in underneath coverage. He really has put together a well-rounded game.

Q. The Ravens quarterback, Joe Flacco, has better statistics this season than he did last year. Can you see more maturity in him as a player?

A. More than anything, you realize his maturity in their play selection. The Ravens don’t play it so close to the vest as they did a year ago. He’s a guy who is in command the offense, and you can tell it’s built around his capabilities and how he distributes the ball, when they’re not handing it to Ray Rice.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 23

Default Re: Tomlin on the Ravens

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

A. It was. This guy is a really good football player, of course,[HIGH-LIGHT] and he was a partner in crime, if you will, with Ray Lewis[/HIGH-LIGHT] at the inside linebacker spots. But they’re getting good contributions from other guys, such as Jarret Johnson at outside linebacker and Haloti Ngata and Kelly Gregg are back in the interior of the defensive line for them.

So, Ray needed help stabbing that guy?

Threads : 29

Q. If Ben Roethlisberger plays today, will he be limited in any way?

A. If he’s allowed to play, no. And I think that’s important, because we can’t work in any gray area in regards to head injuries. If he’s cleared to play, he’s cleared to play. And if there’s any hesitation, he won’t play.
    People can say whatever they want about Tomlin, but I believe he cares about players health. How he handled the Clark issue, when doctors cleared him, but couldn't 100% say it couldn't cause problems. I thought he was pretty clear on this as well that he would listen to the doctors.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiacsteelers View Post
    People can say whatever they want about Tomlin, but I believe he cares about players health. How he handled the Clark issue, when doctors cleared him, but couldn't 100% say it couldn't cause problems. I thought he was pretty clear on this as well that he would listen to the doctors.
    I'm actually suprised that he'll be dressing as the #3 qb today....
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 52
    Sports Logo

so there,s still a chance he could play?

Threads : 9

I don't know if this is completely accurate. I think we have seen ample evidence that Tomlin has forced Spank to repeatedly play with hangovers.
    "The brotherhood that the Steelers have, their way of doing business, their way of playing football, spans decades. Their way of building teams that do not blink and players that do not shrink, well, there is nothing come-lately about it."

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If Ben plays today, things will have went horribly wrong because Dixon and Palko would both have to die 1st, I believe, for that to happen.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 60

He needs Ben to sit so he has an excuse for missing the playoffs and losing 3 in a row. With this talent he needs another excuse other then coaching as being the reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    If Ben plays today, things will have went horribly wrong because Dixon and Palko would both have to die 1st, I believe, for that to happen.
    Well, even though he was said to be the "#3 qb" and would be dressing, it has apparently changed....

... The "inactives" list just came out for tonight's game, and Ben is on it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information