Thread: Todd Haley Has Been The Offensive Line's Best Friend

Threads : 1742
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Todd Haley Has Been The Offensive Line's Best Friend

Washington+Redskins+v+Pittsburgh+Steelers+ORVnZrrc6Zwl.jpgTodd Haley and Ben Roethlisberger might not be best friends or every approach the level of friendship that Ben and Bruce Arians reached but Todd Haley and Sean Kugler... they might end up getting some BFF lockets.

We're nearly half way through the Steelers season and one thing really sticks out and that is Ben Roethlisberger looks clean. What Art Rooney II set out to accomplish is happening. Ben isn't getting hit and sacked as much.

So far Ben Roethlisberger has been the 5th fewest times in the NFL with just 25. By comparison the Top Ranked New York Giants have allowed 21 hits and the league worst Philadelphia Eagles a whopping 58 hits. Last year the Steelers ranked 19th in the NFL, so improving to being tied for 5th in the NFL is a big deal. It's a big deal to Art Rooney II who wanted to protect his big investment who hit the age of 30 and should be a big deal to Ben Roethlisberger who should want to extend his career to the lengths of his childhood idol - John Elway who played until he was 38 years old.

If anyone has read any of my previous Blog Articles regarding sacks then you will understand my stance on Sacks. It's been my long term belief that the Media and most of the Fans that follow what the media says have put way too much stock into the Number of sacks rather than the Sack %. Why is this important? For one, the Steelers are a passing team now compared to 2004 and 2005. So while Ben's sack numbers back then were lower, he was also dropping back to pass 200 fewer times per season. Ben's sack numbers should be lower when he throws less and more when he throws more which is what Sack % establishes. It establishes the percentage of times a QB is sacked when he drops back to pass. In recent years this has been an improvement over a seasons 2004-2007. The number of Hits Ben has taken hasn't improved which has always been a concern. So where does Ben Roethlisberger stand so far as far as Sack %?

That is a huge improvement. The reason I provided this was because the season isn't over so you can't compare Total sack numbers. Even if you disagree with my point about using Sack % rather than Total Sack numbers, this is still the best way to evaluate how often Ben has been sacked during a season before it's completed against past seasons.

If you really like the Number of times sacked, then we'll compare the Steelers with the other teams in the NFL and so far this year the Steelers are tied for 10th best in the NFL for Sacks. The Steelers were 24th best in 2011 and the Steelers are throwing the Ball more this season than they were in 2011.

After the Steelers and Redskins game I was marveling about how well the Offensive Line played and how well it has been playing and then I sat back and thought about ti for a few seconds. This Line the past 2 games has not been the same personnel and the Line itself has been largely battered, bruised and injured and yet there is a huge improvement in reducing the number of Hits and Sacks on Ben Roethlisberger while at the same time finding ways to push a backup like Jonathan Dwyer over the 100 Yard mark 2 weeks in a row.

The conclusion?

Todd Haley

Ben Roethlisberger calls his Offense "Dink and Dunk". Ben should call it a Life Saver. There's focus on having Ben get rid of the ball quicker, not waiting on deep stuff to open up and giving him underneath routes to hit on every play. Under Bruce Arians, the route designs were deeper. It was a "take what you can get" Offensive scheme. Ben would hit a lot more deeper pass plays but he was getting beat up in the process. Right now, he's not. The shorter passing game is getting the ball out of his hands before the Defense can get to him. Todd Haley is involving Running Backs into the Passing game. Haley is involving everyone into the Passing Game and it's keeping Defenses unbalanced. It's also opening up the Running game finally.

Who'd have thought there would come a day where the Steelers passing game would open up the running game?

It's happening right now. The Steelers Offense is looking more like the New Orleans Saints Offense of years past. Ben might not be getting the Yardage numbers of Drew Brees (perhaps if his Receivers wouldn't drop balls), but his Accuracy is up. Ben's INT's are down to career low's and the Running game is getting 100 yard games without the need of running it 30-40 times. This is the modern day Offense in the NFL and the Steelers under Todd Haley are actually running it. Doing something "modern".

Those numbers are beautiful. His lowest career INT%, his Career Best Completion % (it would be higher if you got rid of the Drops) and 2nd best Passer Rating which also took a hit from some of the drops.

That's Todd Haley's doing.

Todd Haley has turned Ben Roethlisberger into an efficient QB. Todd Haley has turned Ben Roethlisberger into a far lethal QB who can now kill you for an entire drive hitting underneath stuff on top of his ability to find targets deep.

Todd Haley is keeping Ben Roethlisberger cleaner and healthier. We should all love that.

One further bit of importance to discuss here is that the Offensive Line was largely praised until Bruce Arians became Offensive Coordinator. As soon as he became Offensive Coordinator the Line suddenly became an annual whipping boy. So far in 2012, the Offensive Line has gone through a carousel of personnel changes weekly, is starting Willie Colon and Ramon Foster at Guard, Lost their Pro Bowl Center for a game, have had to start Rookie Mike Adams amongst other things. The personnel isn't really any better than what we trotted out there under Bruce Arians, except that the results are widely better now.

The reason?

Todd Haley's Offense.

The Playcalling, the decisions, the entire scheme to use shorter and quicker passing designs. They are all making the Offensive Line look good.

It makes you think, how much negative affect Bruce Arians' offense had on the Offensive Line for all of those years making them continuously protect Ben Roethlisberger for far longer than the best Offensive Lines needed to. Asking them to run block for calls that were highly predictable and without any strategy to get Defenses to back up off the line.

The Offensive Line looks good right now and that can really be attributed to Todd Haley
    Last edited by Kipper; Oct-29-2012 at 04:46 PM.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 181
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Todd Haley Has Been The Offensive Line's Best Friend

I'm really liking the offense this year, especially what is being done in the redzone. There is a flow to the offense and each play seems to be called with two purposes, one being to gain positive yardage and the other purpose being to set up the defense for something later in the drive or game. It's actually evolving into a lethal offense because Haley is a strategist and not a "what the hell, let's see if this works" kinda guy.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 57

Steelereign you said it ! There is a flow to this group and with this direction the o-line is getting to help themselves and Ben.

This is just one of the reason I wanted Arians to leave the team he, never did anything when it came to adjusting to the situation. He would put the o-line, Ben and the entire offensive unit behind the eightball so many times it's, unreal.

Even if the o-line doesn't become a group of guys that can dominate, the other teams just can't T-Off on them or Ben like the defenses have been since Arians been in charge.

Ahhhhhh, it's so sweet that Arians is gone, life is good.

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Steelereign you said it ! There is a flow to this group and with this direction the o-line is getting to help themselves and Ben.

This is just one of the reason I wanted Arians to leave the team he, never did anything when it came to adjusting to the situation. He would put the o-line, Ben and the entire offensive unit behind the eightball so many times it's, unreal.

Even if the o-line doesn't become a group of guys that can dominate, the other teams just can't T-Off on them or Ben like the defenses have been since Arians been in charge.

Ahhhhhh, it's so sweet that Arians is gone, life is good.
    Life is good A.B. (after Bruce), especially in the redzone where touchdowns are becoming more common.

Threads : 70
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So far so good with Haley IMO. I love how he uses the TE's as more than an extra lineman. Heath has been a huge part of every win this season, and even Pope got in on the act on Sunday.

What I don't understand is how this "rift" between Roethlisberger and Haley hasn't been put to bed already? The mediots continue to try to make something out of this, but as far as I see, it's a non-issue. A win this week in NY, could finally put this BS non-story to rest, and put the Steelers back on the map as a "contender" in the AFC!
    Hidden Content Chuck Norris wears Steelers Pajamas!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bton66 View Post
    So far so good with Haley IMO. I love how he uses the TE's as more than an extra lineman. Heath has been a huge part of every win this season, and even Pope got in on the act on Sunday.

What I don't understand is how this "rift" between Roethlisberger and Haley hasn't been put to bed already? The mediots continue to try to make something out of this, but as far as I see, it's a non-issue. A win this week in NY, could finally put this BS non-story to rest, and put the Steelers back on the map as a "contender" in the AFC!
    Agreed, media just has to create something out of nothing to sell papers I guess. Gotta make it opposite of the Ben/Bruce relationship I Supppose

Threads : 70

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    Agreed, media just has to create something out of nothing to sell papers I guess. Gotta make it opposite of the Ben/Bruce relationship I Supppose
    Exactly... One of my favorite Mediots to pick on is Adam Shein. He continues to lead the charge on Sirius NFL Radio with the Todd/Ben "rift?" Yet he's the same guy that had the Bungles finishing ahead of us... and his major reason is the Haley/Roethlisberger "dynamic?" Bwahahahahaha!!!!
    Hidden Content Chuck Norris wears Steelers Pajamas!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bton66 View Post
    Exactly... One of my favorite Mediots to pick on is Adam Shein. He continues to lead the charge on Sirius NFL Radio with the Todd/Ben "rift?" Yet he's the same guy that had the Bungles finishing ahead of us... and his major reason is the Haley/Roethlisberger "dynamic?" Bwahahahahaha!!!!
    Shein is annoying, but that Ross Tucker just flat out bugs the **** outta me. I swear he makes **** up just to hear himself talk. He's another one who says the Steelers window is closed.

Threads : 89
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    We're nearly half way through the Steelers season and one thing really sticks out and that is Ben Roethlisberger looks clean. What Art Rooney II set out to accomplish is happening. Ben isn't getting hit and sacked as much.
    ****ed interfering owner! He should step back, not interfere and let the franchise QB get mangled repeatedly! /Crash irony.

Really, it's been good to see Ben's decision making processes speed up, the occasional necessitated throwing away (instead of conceding a loss and possible injury) et cetera. The stat line might not look too glamourous, but I'll take that (as if it's anything to do with me!) in exchange for the way the O is developing.

The O line has been a bit patchwork again this season, but it's getting the job done. I think I like the Haley/Kugler set up.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 164

I will say, the professors I learned the most from in college were often the ones I hated the most. Don't know if this applies here but seems somewhat equal.

It seems as if Haley is putting people in positions to best utilize their skills. While Arians scheme exposed them.
    "ARRRGGHHH THERE WILL BE MUTTON TONIGHT!" Said the Troll

Threads : 440

Tuck: Steelers line gets 'away with murder'

November, 1, 2012
    By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has only been sacked four times in his past four games and didn't get sacked at all last Sunday against the Washington Redskins. Pittsburgh's improved pass protection isn't the result of better blocking, according to Giants defensive lineman Justin Tuck.

"I hope we get some holding calls because they have gotten away with murder," Tuck told ESPN's Rachel Nichols. "They've done a very good job protecting Ben -- they don't hold on every play. But we've seen a whole lot of it."

Protecting Roethlisberger is a major storyline for Sunday's game between the Steelers and Giants. Roethlisberger has only been sacked 13 times in seven games this season. Of the quarterbacks who have thrown at least 200 passes, only six quarterbacks have been sacked less than Roethlisberger.

The Steelers have decreased their sacks without an increase in penalties. The seven linemen who have started for the Steelers this season have been called for holding five times, and left guard Willie Colon has accounted for four of them.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...ay-with-murder

Threads : 58

"I hope we get some holding calls because they have gotten away with murder," Tuck told ESPN's Rachel Nichols. "They've done a very good job protecting Ben -- they don't hold on every play. But we've seen a whole lot of it."
    When you have only one sack on the season and you're in there for the majority of defensive snaps, I guess you will say just about anything to try and catch a break - no matter how fatuous your comments may be.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh View Post
    When you have only one sack on the season and you're in there for the majority of defensive snaps, I guess you will say just about anything to try and catch a break - no matter how fatuous your comments may be.
    I think Justin should go Tuck himself...

Steelers’ Foster, Colon on guard against Giants

By Ralph N. Paulk
    Published: Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Steelers guard Ramon Foster has teamed with Willie Colon to open up holes for breakout running back Jonathan Dwyer.

Jonathan Dwyer has staked his claim as the feature back for a revamped Steelers run game but not without the benefit of tireless effort from guards Ramon Foster and Willie Colon.

The guards were hardly considered the strength of the offensive line when the season began. Now they are arguably among the most consistent tandem in the AFC.

Foster was plugged into the starting lineup after top draft pick David DeCastro suffered a potentially season-ending knee injury in the preseason. Colon, who missed all but one game the previous two seasons, continues to make adjustments at left guard after switching from right tackle.

On Sunday, Foster and Colon will face perhaps their stiffest challenge this season against the defending Super Bowl champion New York Giants at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J.

“I trust and believe in those guys giving me the holes,” Dwyer said. “Right now the Giants are playing good football, and it’s going to be a good test for us.”

The Giants possess one of the league’s best defensive fronts. Defensive ends Justin Tuck, Jason Pierre-Paul (51⁄2 sacks) and Osi Umenyiora spearhead a relentless pass rush that has totaled 69 sacks over the past 24 regular-season games — including 21 sacks this season.

“We’ve got to control those guys the best we can,” Foster said. “They are built for the pass rush because of their speed and athleticism, which I don’t think many teams in this league have.

“They are long guys who can bat balls down. We have to start this game fast and stay consistent. We definitely have to control them so our guys can make plays.”

Colon is confident the Steelers can run the ball like they did while beating Cincinnati (167 yards) and Washington (140), in part, because the Giants’ defense appears somewhat vulnerable. The Giants might be 6-2 but not because their 24th-ranked defense has put together intimidating numbers. Their defensive deficiencies are offset by an offense that is third in points (29.2) and fourth in total yards (397 yards).

The Giants are 19th against the run, and their pass defense is 26th. Yet their defensive front — including defensive tackles Chris Canty and Linval Joseph — has an uncanny knack for playing its best in big games. It manhandled San Francisco’s offensive line in a 26-3 victory earlier this season and defused New England’s high-octane offense in the Super Bowl.

“We have to respect their résumé,” said Colon, a Bronx native. “The bottom line is we have to play hard and set the tone early.

“Athletic-wise, this is probably the best (front) we’ve seen. Obviously, they do a lot of good things, getting after it with the pass rush.”

The Steelers, though, will try to lean on a suddenly effective run game to slow down the Giants’ pass rush. The offensive line didn’t yield a sack the past two games, and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has been dropped only 13 times this season.

“The run game takes some pressure off of (Roethlisberger’s) arm,” Colon said. “Everyone is stepping up to the challenge, and this is another challenge for us.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz2B6A7vwNQ

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information