Thread: Week Nine: Pittsburgh Steelers vs. New York Giants Preview

Threads : 171
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Week Nine: Pittsburgh Steelers vs. New York Giants Preview

Apologies for the lack of writing about the game last week. I got a new job and found out my wife is pregnant with our second child so it's been an eventful week. But I'm back so let's go. Leave it to Mother Nature to take a game with an infinite amount of story lines and make another one. Looking at the game alone, it was already arguably the marquee match-up of the week. It pits the Super Bowl champions who have been excellent to this point against a Steelers team who has seemed to find their way over the past couple of weeks. It's also a match-up between two first round draft picks of one of the best quarterback classes of recent history, Ben Roethlisberger and Eli Manning. Both of which have two Super Bowl rings to their credit. Then throw in Hurricane Sandy, the natural disaster that has essentially shut down a large portion of New York and New Jersey. The hotel that the Steelers had booked for the game still has no power. For that reason, the Steelers have been granted permission by the league to fly out the morning of the game. Something that NFL players are hardly accustomed to.

Steelers Offense vs. Giants Defense: The Giants are essentially the epitome of a bend but don't break defense. Just by looking at the scores of their games, one would assume that their defense has been fantastic. That hasn't necessarily been the case. They have been a good scoring defense which is ultimately all that matters but teams have been able to move the ball on them. They are in the middle of the pack in rushing and passing defense. They're even a bit below average in passing defense. The success of their pass defense is largely predicated on putting pressure on the quarterback with their myriad of defense linemen. That could cause a problem for the Giants because the Steelers have done a much better job protecting Roethlisberger than in years past under Todd Haley's offense.

Another reason that the Steelers should be able to have success through the air is because of the Giants' depleted linebacker corps. They have three injured linebackers, two of which have already been ruled out for Sunday's game. That should make Heath Miller, who has been a bigger part of the offense than in past years, a big target. Forcing safeties to help out in the middle of the field could open things up for the burners on the outside.

Lastly, don't forget that the Steelers finally have a running back who has rushed for back to back 100 yard games. That's something that hasn't happened for four years. Given, Jonathan Dwyer did have that success against two inferior defenses but the Giants aren't a great run stopping team either. While running the ball shouldn't be the primary focus with the Giants problems in pass coverage, the passing game could very well open things up for Dwyer to make another big impact. Of course that is all dependent on how Dwyer bounces back from his quad injury that he sustained on his final carry of last week's contest.

Steelers Defense vs. Giants Offense: Much like the case was last year, people are starting to forget about the "old and slow" talk in reference to the Steelers defense that we heard so much of after the first handful of games. However, much like the running game, the success has been more because of the opponent than anything else. Don't forget, the Redskins has ten dropped passes on Sunday. Things could have been at least somewhat different if even half of those passes are caught.

Regardless of whether the recent success of the defense is legitimate or not, this isn't going to be an easy game. The Giants offense is similar to the Steelers in at least one way and it comes to the running game. They aren't extremely successful on the ground but they rarely give up on it. They at least keep teams honest by not becoming one dimensional though with the group of receivers that they have, becoming one dimensional probably wouldn't hinder their success that much.

Ike Taylor is probably going to be the most important player on the field on Sunday. That's assuming that he will be the one that is matched up with Victor Cruz. After his horrid start to the season, Taylor rebounded nicely with a terrific game against A.J. Green of the Bengals and then another good game last week. Keenan Lewis has also stepped it up in recent weeks. But the combination of Cruz and Hakeem Nicks is an entirely different animal. Stopping them is just not going to happen. Playing well enough that they don't beat you is what is necessary. The Giants have been successful this year with a bend but don't break defense. The Steelers are going to have to be the same way on Sunday. Giving up field goals is not going to be a bad thing.

Prediction: If all things were equal, I think this would be a fantastic match-up and quite possibly the best game that we would watch as Steeler fans this year. I include the games against the Ravens in that. I sincerely think that the potential was there for an excellent game. However, thanks to the weather I think a lot of that changes. The transportation issues don't seem like a big deal to the average fan but professional athletes are creatures of habit. Flying out the morning of a game is something that these guys are not used to. It is going to effect preparation and preparation is key in games of this magnitude. I'm struggling to see a way that the Steelers pull out a win this week. Giants 34, Steelers 24
    The best sports blog in the history of Pittsburgh sports blogs. Did I mention I'm modest?

Hidden Content

And you can follow me on Twitter @IsItTheShoes926

Threads : 130
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Week Nine: Pittsburgh Steelers vs. New York Giants Preview

Big Ben and hurricanes seem to go together. He did get his first NFL start in one.

Threads : 181
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am expecting the Giants will win this one as well, but there is no doubt in my mind the Steelers can pull it out. The Steelers need to keep up with the nickel and dime defenses and keeping Ben clean. If the Steelers do both of these things well, Pittsburgh 24 NY Giants 16
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Quote Originally Posted by foslrock View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Big Ben and hurricanes seem to go together. He did get his first NFL start in one.
    I know. That game was ridiculous. Still have that image of that punt that just stuck right in the ground in my head.
    The best sports blog in the history of Pittsburgh sports blogs. Did I mention I'm modest?

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    I am expecting the Giants will win this one as well, but there is no doubt in my mind the Steelers can pull it out. The Steelers need to keep up with the nickel and dime defenses and keeping Ben clean. If the Steelers do both of these things well, Pittsburgh 24 NY Giants 16
    Oh, I'm certainly not ruling the Steelers out. As long as Ben is on the field, I never feel like there's no chance. I just think that considering the circumstances, all logic seems to point towards a disadvantage for the Steelers.

Your score prediction is interesting. That's where the Steelers need to keep this game. If it's...not low scoring but lower scoring...it works in their favor. But I think it's going to be a shootout. The defense has been better but the Giants are worlds better than the Bengals and Redskins offensively.

Hidden Content

Threads : 58

Ike Taylor is probably going to be the most important player on the field on Sunday. That's assuming that he will be the one that is matched up with Victor Cruz.
    I'm probably in the minority, but this worries me more than anything else going into this game. That's going to be a tough assignment.
    Last edited by Pittsburgh; Nov-04-2012 at 07:38 AM.

Threads : 89
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well, the Giants aren't defending champions for no reason. Their seasons tend to go through phases and, although this is usually around the point they often mentally slacken before a big push, I wouldn't trust to that happening.

My big concern, were I a Giants fan, would be that last week, they had to fight back for a win after Romo and the Cowboys spotted them 20+ points.

In the mean time, in the press a couple of Giants players have been loosening their hymens pre-game...
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 368

I understand Dwyer has been ruled out. That hurts. One thing that should help our defense is our offense. Haley's offense has been outstanding at TOP and Manning can't beat you while he's sitting on the bench. But while we've been possessing the ball, we haven't been scoring as much as we could be. Think we need more points today than what we've been showing thus far.

Secondly, I hope the travel arrangements aren't too distracting. That sucks but from what I've been reading here, lots of Giants players are dealing with issues from the hurricane so that might even things up a bit.

All that said, I fear this game will be determined by special teams play. We get the short stick on that one.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Quote Originally Posted by IsItTheShoes926 View Post
    Oh, I'm certainly not ruling the Steelers out. As long as Ben is on the field, I never feel like there's no chance. I just think that considering the circumstances, all logic seems to point towards a disadvantage for the Steelers.

Your score prediction is interesting. That's where the Steelers need to keep this game. If it's...not low scoring but lower scoring...it works in their favor. But I think it's going to be a shootout. The defense has been better but the Giants are worlds better than the Bengals and Redskins offensively.
    Oh I know you aren't ruling the Steelers out, I'm believing that the Giants win this game as well just looking at things on the surface. I'm thinking if the Steelers can capitalize on long drives with seven points, the game is easier to control and win for them than a shootout would be. Gotta keep the ball and Eli off the field in addition to keeping Ben upright.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh View Post
    I'm probably in the minority, but this worries me more than anything else going into this game. That's going to be a tough assignment.
    Well if that's the minority, then I belong to it too. I know Taylor had a great game against A.J. Green but the Bengals don't have another big time receiver. So Taylor always had help from Clark over the top on him. Since the Giants have Hakeem Nicks to take up defenders as well, it's going to be interesting. And not in a good way.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post
    I understand Dwyer has been ruled out. That hurts. One thing that should help our defense is our offense. Haley's offense has been outstanding at TOP and Manning can't beat you while he's sitting on the bench. But while we've been possessing the ball, we haven't been scoring as much as we could be. Think we need more points today than what we've been showing thus far.

Secondly, I hope the travel arrangements aren't too distracting. That sucks but from what I've been reading here, lots of Giants players are dealing with issues from the hurricane so that might even things up a bit.

All that said, I fear this game will be determined by special teams play. We get the short stick on that one.
    Isaac Redman has to step up today. I've never been as big a fan of his as a lot of people are. I'm not asking him to go over 100. I'm just asking him to run effectively.

The big problem offensively to this point has kinda been the same old story. Too much settling for field goals instead of touchdowns. However, that has been better of late now that they have discovered that Heath Miller can be the red zone target that they have been missing over the past handful of seasons.

Hidden Content

Threads : 689

I expect to see more of Rainey today,not just running the ball, but screens and short passes.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    I expect to see more of Rainey today,not just running the ball, but screens and short passes.
    This game is Taylor made for Rainey with the way the Giants have been known to over pursue plays. His ability to cut back and change directions can really neutralize that.

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    Well he has been really good returning kicks to this point at least. And none of them have been called back so that's a plus.

Hidden Content

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information