Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Building For The Future - Neil Walker & Others

Threads : 39
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Building For The Future - Neil Walker & Others

The World Series is over, thereby starting all of the off-season activity in MLB. I think the Pirates are in excellent shape going forward - much better each year, and light years ahead of where we were at 4 or 5 years ago. Three trades made by the Pirates in 2011 have set us up and have not cost the Pirates very much to get legit No.'s 1 and 2 SP's for the Rotation, and a 1B we hope will pick up previous All Star years. My biggest concerns are what we are going to do to lock up our Fondation/Core Players for the foreseeable future. Last year we locked up Andrew McCutchen for 6 years and $51.5 mil, and included a 7th year Club Option. This year I want to see the Pirates wrap up another "up-the-middle-guy" and that is Neil Walker -
    • 3 years averaging 133 games per year - one year called up in June, this year injured.
    • A switchhitter averaging .280 BA, 30 doubles/3 triples/12 HR's/73 RBI/.339 OBP/.763 OPS
    • A steady 2B averaging .988 over the total and his high was .992 in 2011.
    • A great background being the hometown hero from a family that has many professional athletes
    • In 3 years he has made about 35% of what the Pirates paid IWAMURA for 1 year ($4.25 mil)

Neil is a Super Two meaning he will get 4 years of Arbitration because he is in the top 17% of players with less than 3 years of service, so he qualified. ESPN has predicted he will get between $2.7 and $2.9 mil in his first year of Arbitration. My suggestion would be a long term contract of 5 years for $30 mil with 2 Club Option years added. Start with a $2 mil signing bonus, and then $2.5 mil for 2013, $4.0 mil for 2014, $5.5 mil for 2015, $7.0 mil for 2016, $9 mil for 2017 (first year of FA), $10.5 mil Club Option for 2018 (second year of FA), $11 mil Club Option for 2019. Who else?

• Pay Hanrahan the $7 mil, JMAC the $3.0 or $3.5 mil, Gaby Sanchez the $2 or $2.5 mil, and Garrett Jones the $4.25 or $4.75, Karstens a minimal increase, and Charlie Morton a minimal increase. I think that is all of the Arbs
    • Pedro Alvarez. Is he moving forward? He is not a Super Two and is scheduled to make 700K in 2013. He will be in Arb 1 after the 2013 season. I thought I knew all of the particulars but then the Pirates brought in Jay Bell as the hitting coach. A hard-nose who preaches, putting the ball in play, strike zone knowledge and discipline, and hitting the ball where it is pitched. That should help Pedro immensely so try this on - $1.5 mil signing bonus, $2.5 mil for 2013, $4.0 mil for 2014, $6 mil for 2015, $8 mil for 2016, $11 mil for 2017 (first year of FA), a $14.0 mil Club Option year in 2018.
    • That's a lot of money to gamble on Pedro, but last year he was .244 BA, 25 doubles/30 HR's/85 RBI/.317 OBP/.784 OPS. Mark Reynolds made $7.5 mil in 2012 to do less than that. It is hard to get 20-25 HR guys, and extremely difficult to find 30+ HR guys. I think he did well last year, but could have done a lot better with a little more discipline at the plate. He has struggled and I think he has matured to the point where he will get better - get more walks, hit for better average, and hit more out of the park. With he, Walker, and 'Cutch signed long term, this team is set for a long time.

Threads : 187
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Building For The Future - Neil Walker & Others

Great thoughts there, I am so ready to hear pitchers and catchers report. They gotta wrap up Walker and Pedro both since they are the key to long term success, which is 3 solid bats out of 8 (not counting the pitcher) who should be here for the next 6 years. Going into next season, if they improve the pitching, I really like their chances.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Great thoughts there, I am so ready to hear pitchers and catchers report. They gotta wrap up Walker and Pedro both since they are the key to long term success, which is 3 solid bats out of 8 (not counting the pitcher) who should be here for the next 6 years. Going into next season, if they improve the pitching, I really like their chances.
    Thank you. You and the other season ticket holders deserve to see the Pirates ante up by locking up our 3 young studs, and then with Starling Marte and Garrett Jones in the lineup, I think wee will have 5 solid bats. I like Gaby Sanchez a lot and wanted the Pirates to go after him even when it would have cost us some serious prospects in exchange. Getting him for Gorkys was a laugher simply because we had no future use for Gorkys after 2012. I hope the Pirates stand pat and do not waste our energy trying to invent a Catcher for 2013. I am very comfortable putting Michael McKenry out on the field every night, and is it possible for Barmes to not have a year better than what he had in 2012?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Barmes showed a solid glove and at times a good bat last season. If he can hit between .250-.265 next season, i gotta say i will be happy. The only move in free agency I would want to see them make would be a solid starting pitcher if anything at all. Signing Walker and Maybe Alvarez to long term deals would be the way to go instead of going after outside help.

I see Jay Bell helping to teach our hitters some plate discipline and how to advance runners by the simple act of bunting, which hurt the Pirates quite a bit last year. I think maybe guys like Tabata, Marte and Snider. He can get Tabata back on track and teach the young guys good habits early. A fresh set of eyes could make a big difference.

Barmes showed a solid glove and at times a good bat last season. If he can hit between .250-.265 next season, i gotta say i will be happy. The only move in free agency I would want to see them make would be a solid starting pitcher if anything at all. Signing Walker and Maybe Alvarez to long term deals would be the way to go instead of going after outside help.

I see Jay Bell helping to teach our hitters some plate discipline and how to advance runners by the simple act of bunting, which hurt the Pirates quite a bit last year. I think maybe guys like Tabata, Marte and Snider. He can get Tabata back on track and teach the young guys good habits early. A fresh set of eyes could make a big difference.
    Steel: I agree with you about Clint Barmes, but I was unaware he graded out as the best fielding Shortstop in the NL. I think he pressed trying to do too much to impress the new club, and it only worked in reverse. He certainly has the ability, and past history to be able to hit .250 with good numbers for doubles, RBI's and a 2/2 K to W Ratio, all of which are much better than what he did last year. I do not see very much out on the market for a SP, and I cannot see why we have to look for another veteran pitcher. Burnett and Rodriguez are very experienced and Karstens and JMAC are far from being Rookies. We have a level of experience in our present Rotation that should allow us to bring up one of the kids from AAA right from Spring Training, and not after they have burnt themselves out in the minors for more than half the season. Spend the money on the players identified as Core Players - McC gets $4.5 mil in 2013, and I hope we can do long terms for both Walker and Alvarez this off-season.

I see Jay Bell as being more of a gap to gap hitting instructor where he encourages the hitters to stay back, see the ball, and drive it straight out. Small ball is for the first two batters in the order and then No. 8 - they may get the extra bunting reps, and hitting behind the runner. I could be wrong, but I will be surprised if we do not place a premium on putting the ball in play, thereby reducing the number of K's.

Threads : 372

Quote Originally Posted by emjayinTN View Post
    I see Jay Bell as being more of a gap to gap hitting instructor where he encourages the hitters to stay back, see the ball, and drive it straight out. Small ball is for the first two batters in the order and then No. 8 - they may get the extra bunting reps, and hitting behind the runner. I could be wrong, but I will be surprised if we do not place a premium on putting the ball in play, thereby reducing the number of K's.
    Will that apply to Pedro? Sure hope so. 30 HR's are nice yeah, but I think he can even do more damage driving runners in without hitting a HR if just got the ball in play.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post
    Will that apply to Pedro? Sure hope so. 30 HR's are nice yeah, but I think he can even do more damage driving runners in without hitting a HR if just got the ball in play.
    I agree with you that Pedro Alvarez is sometimes very good and some times very bad. The 30 HR plateau is very special, especially for Pirate hitters who very rarely get to that rarified air. The best part of all 3 of our power hitters of McCutchen, Jones, and Alvarez is that the first two had career batting average numbers to go along with their HR's. And, Pedro is coming off a year where nobody knew which direction he was going to go coming into 2012. Can he build on his success of 2012? If he can, we have something rather large to look forward to in the future. I think that it was obvious that Pedro started to take the ball, with power, to the LC gap more and more as the season went on. A batting coach like Jay Bell will help him stay on that path. The kid has awesome power and I wanted to fire things at the TV everytime he would get a fat pitch on the outer third of the plate and try to turn on it which only led to weak dribblers to the right side of the infield. That's a mental thing where he made his mind up before the pitch what he was going to try to do with the ball. A good basics hitting coach will have him staying closed longer and starting to look to drive the ball straight out, or to the LC gap. So, if he is going to be the hitter we need in the middle of our order, we need to hope to see more line drives to the gap in LC. Once he establishes that approach, pitchers will quit trying to throw everything outside. That approach will also assure that he will wait longer on pitches and therefore, put more balls in play. 'Cutch is at his best when he is wearing out the CF and RC area - great power straight out, and I think we saw a lot more of that from Garrett Jones as well in 2012. That is not "lucky" hitting, that is exhibiting a much stronger grasp on the basics of hitting, so I see the Pirates getting better each year. I think we will also see more of that from Neil Walker and Starling Marte in 2013. Neil is a 20 HR hitter waiting to break out, and I thought he was poised to hit 20 in 2012, because he had 60% of that with 40 games left, but had the back problem even 2 or 3 weeks before finally coming out of the lineup for the rest of the season.

I agree with you that Pedro Alvarez is sometimes very good and some times very bad. The 30 HR plateau is very special, especially for Pirate hitters who very rarely get to that rarified air. The best part of all 3 of our power hitters of McCutchen, Jones, and Alvarez is that the first two had career batting average numbers to go along with their HR's. And, Pedro is coming off a year where nobody knew which direction he was going to go coming into 2012. Can he build on his success of 2012? If he can, we have something rather large to look forward to in the future. I think that it was obvious that Pedro started to take the ball, with power, to the LC gap more and more as the season went on. A batting coach like Jay Bell will help him stay on that path. The kid has awesome power and I wanted to fire things at the TV everytime he would get a fat pitch on the outer third of the plate and try to turn on it which only led to weak dribblers to the right side of the infield. That's a mental thing where he made his mind up before the pitch what he was going to try to do with the ball. A good basics hitting coach will have him staying closed longer and starting to look to drive the ball straight out, or to the LC gap. So, if he is going to be the hitter we need in the middle of our order, we need to hope to see more line drives to the gap in LC. Once he establishes that approach, pitchers will quit trying to throw everything outside. That approach will also assure that he will wait longer on pitches and therefore, put more balls in play. 'Cutch is at his best when he is wearing out the CF and RC area - great power straight out, and I think we saw a lot more of that from Garrett Jones as well in 2012. That is not "lucky" hitting, that is exhibiting a much stronger grasp on the basics of hitting, so I see the Pirates getting better each year. I think we will also see more of that from Neil Walker and Starling Marte in 2013. Neil is a 20 HR hitter waiting to break out, and I thought he was poised to hit 20 in 2012, because he had 60% of that with 40 games left, but had the back problem even 2 or 3 weeks before finally coming out of the lineup for the rest of the season.
    Nice analysis emjay.

Nice analysis emjay.
    exN: Thank you, the compliment is much appreciated. Another move I think we should give some serious consideration is the promotion of Michael McKenry to being our Catcher for 2013. I am more than a little predjudiced where it comes to Michael McKenry, because I have watched this kid since he was 12 years old and playing on one of the best youth teams in the Southeast. I coached against his team and it was one of those things where you knew you were going to take a beating. That was the Farragut, TN Thunder Baseball Team. He attended Farragut HS where they won the state championship in the largest class of HS Baseball 3 or all 4 years with McKenry playing all 4 years and being one of the best offensive players in the state. He chose Middle Tennessee State where Coach Peterson was a former professional Catcher, and they played big time baseball against the likes of Vanderbilt, UT, and many of the Southeast Conference Teams. Bryce Brentz also played at MTSU, and Bryan Morris would have pitched there if not drafted out of JUCO. More -
    • Drafted by the Rockies in the 7th Round he was selected as their 9th Best Prospect in the system and best defensive catcher in the Rockies System in 2009. The comments on him in Baseball America were as follows:

"a quality defensive catcher since his youth, and has only added to that reputation, throwing out 46% of base stealers in 2008. He moves well behind the plate, likes to work a pitcher through a game, and has a PLUS arm augmented by a quick release. Now the offense is starting to come, too. He has shown legitimate power the last 2 years, quickly gets into hitting position, and firmly plants the front foot. His defense alone makes him a solid candidate for a backup position in the majors, and, if the offense is there, he projects as a strong starting catcher for a contending team."
    • McKenry had a solid 2009 and then just as he was promoted to the majors in 2010 he was involved in a trade to the Red Sox. He stayed in the Red Sox System until the Pirates stole him in 2011 simply because the Red Sox had Varitek, Martinez, and Saltalamacchia at Catcher at the MLB Level, and Lavarnway at the Catcher position in the minors.
    • He played at AAA for Boston to start 2011 and then the Bucs throwing out 25% of the base stealing attempts. Overall in 2011 and 2012 he is fielding at a .992 clip and has thrown out 21% of the attempted base stealers. With a team that placed an emphasis on holding runners, that %age would be at least 25% to 30%. At bat his stats are as good as many, and his ratio in 2012 of a HR for every 20 AB's, and a double for every 17 AB's is hard to beat for a kid with only 1.5 years of MLB experience.
    • If The Fort catches Rodriguez, Locke, and JMAC, base stealing will be minimized. Whoever gets to catch Burnett might as well just eat the ball on base stealing attempts. Karstens is neither good nor bad, but he could use some improvement getting the ball to the plate quicker than he has in the past year or two.
    • If he does not make Super Two status, he is 2 more years away from Arbitration, and will not hit FA until after the 2017 season. This kid is an obvious PLUS/PLUS in the clubhouse, and we would be stupid not to give him the chance. And, I definitely think that Rod Barajas would be a solid back-up and mentor for both Michael McKenry and Tony Sanchez, and he has a solid knowledge of our pitching staff.

I definitely think that Rod Barajas would be a solid back-up and mentor for both Michael McKenry and Tony Sanchez, and he has a solid knowledge of our pitching staff.
    I wouldn't have any problems with that but would rather see him brought back as a coach instead of a player. The Bucs can't afford to carry 3 catchers, and while Sanchez may not make the roster anyway out of ST, if there is any chance he might see a midseason call-up, you'd most likely have to jettison Barajas anyway. As a coach, however, he doesn't go anywhere and could even spend some time working with the minors catching prospects.

Catching is a weakness in the system and I'd love to see it given some attention. Maybe Barajas is the guy to do that.

I wouldn't have any problems with that but would rather see him brought back as a coach instead of a player. The Bucs can't afford to carry 3 catchers, and while Sanchez may not make the roster anyway out of ST, if there is any chance he might see a midseason call-up, you'd most likely have to jettison Barajas anyway. As a coach, however, he doesn't go anywhere and could even spend some time working with the minors catching prospects.

Catching is a weakness in the system and I'd love to see it given some attention. Maybe Barajas is the guy to do that.
    I hear you and in some part of me I agree, but the gambler in me says that the Law of Averages says that neither he or Barmes can be as bad on Offense as they were in 2012. The Catchers mentioned on here are guys who either want a shot at being the No. 1 Catcher, or who are very comfortable already playing for teams who made the playoffs in 2012. The only two I would be interested in to back up McKenry are Laird or Ross, and I do not see either as candidates to leave Detroit or Atlanta. As a backup, with some roving Catching duties involved, I see Rod Barajas as the "best under $2 mil guy", and he has the knowledge of the current Pirate pitching staff. Either way, if we do not take advantage of having a guy like McKenry who can step in right now, then we will wander in ther desert like we have done through all the years of Paulino, Doumit, Jaramillo, Fryer, etc. I think we have some solid Catchers - pitchers catchers - in McKenry and Sanchez. If we keep developing and then getting cold feet about moving guys into the majors, we will continue to flounder.

Now that Ross is in Boston, it's being suggested that the Pirates are a viable trading partner for Saltalamacchia. While I wouldn't be dissatisfied if that happened, I too am curious to see what the Fort could do being the #1 Catcher.

Now that Ross is in Boston, it's being suggested that the Pirates are a viable trading partner for Saltalamacchia. While I wouldn't be dissatisfied if that happened, I too am curious to see what the Fort could do being the #1 Catcher.
    Steel: Now there is a mystery man - intrigued would be the best way to describe how I feel about that. A first rounder (Supplemental) who has never achieved the levels many of the experts thought were within his grasp. One of the key players sent by the Braves to Texas in the Teixiera trade about 4 years ago. This was a can't miss kid who missed. Great numbers for the Braves at Hi A, then down at AA the next year, then up at AA the 2nd time and then straight to the majors where he batted .284 catching around 20 games and playing 1B about 15 games. About that time Tex turned down the Texas offer of a long term contract for about $150 mil. Because of that the Rangers had to trade him and here is what they got - Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Elvis Andrus, Neftali Feliz, and Matt Harrison, who has turned into possibly the best LHSP outside of David Price of TB and CC Sabathia of the Yankees, and many feel he is very close to those two. You look at that and tell me who the dud was in that trade?
    • What is not to like other than he strikes out a lot and opposing runners were 80SB/18CS.
    • Batting average of .222 with a .288 OBP, but due to power numbers he still had a .742 OPS
    • On the plus side he is a specimen at 6'4" 235, a switchhitter who had 17 doubles and 25 HR's last year, and was 23 doubles, 16 HR's in 2011.
    • I would have to get a lot deeper into what he has to offer defensively, ability to call a game, handle pitchers, block, etc. Those are things you cannot get out of stats - they are things that scouts tell you from close observations.
    • He only made $2.5 mil last year in what I think would have been his first Arb year

With all the talking NH did with the Redsox GM at their alma mater this past week, it really does make one wonder if it is a real possibility that a trade is made for Salty.

With all the talking NH did with the Redsox GM at their alma mater this past week, it really does make one wonder if it is a real possibility that a trade is made for Salty.
    I think if they do that, they need to make a full commitment, which means that they will have to trade Michael McKenry. That will be sad because he is a true gamer and team player who we never gave the chance to be our regular Catcher. Therefore, we will never know how he may have developed after spending two years as the back-up in Pittsburgh. Salty caught over 100 games at Boston last year, so he will not be coming here as a backup. Therefore, if the trade is made, you have to designate Salty as the starter. In Arb he will probably get $3.5 mil

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information