Thread: Heart of a Champion: #Steelers overcome Refs and Giants

Threads : 181
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Heart of a Champion: #Steelers overcome Refs and Giants

steelers-fans.jpgBefore this game even started, the Steelers showed what a classy organization they truly are by not making a stink over the lack of hotel space available, due to what Hurricane sandy did to the east coast earlier this past week. Instead of having a Hotel work around logistical issues to make room for the team to stay while in New Jersey to Play the Giants, the Steelers opted to fly in the morning of the game and leave afterwards, citing that there were more important issues in the local area than finding the Steelers team hotel rooms. They created good karma with this decision, and by the end of the game they would need it.

The Steelers jumped out to a 7-0 lead on the Giants when Ben Roethlisberger hit Emmanuel Sanders with a 4 yard Touchdown pass to cap off an 11 play 58 yard drive. It wouldn't be long before the Giants tied it at 7 on an Ahmad Bradshaw one yard touchdown to finish off an 8 play drive that was highlighted by two horrible calls by the referees that allowed the tying touchdown to be scored instead of the Giants having to settle for a field goal. The first of these bad calls came on a 41 yard pass to Hakeem Nicks down the middle of the field who was covered well by keenan lewis. As a result of an erroneous pass interference call against lewis, instead of being 2nd and 10 from the Giants 39, the Giants had the ball 1st and 10 at the Steelers 39. The second horrible call by the refs that aided the Giants drive came on 3rd and 2 from the Steelers 2. Eli Manning threw a pass to the back of the endzone for Victor Cruz and at the same time Ike Taylor was attempting to intercept the pass, Ryan Clark was lowering the boom on Cruz by leading with his shoulder and nailing Cruz just below the shoulder pads. Instead of the giants having to settle for a field goal, Clark was penalized for leading with the helmet, giving the Giants got a fresh set of downs that led to a touchdown. The referees were just getting started.

Following a Chris Rainey 50 yard Kickoff return to the Giant 48 yard line, the Steelers drove the ball 16 yards down to the Giant 32 yard line. Ben dropped back to pass on 2nd and 5 when he was hit by Ossie Umenyiora. As Ben's arm was coming foward the ball came out and was picked up by Michael Boley who raced 70 yards for the touchdown that was aided by an illegal block in the back to Heath Miller. Not only did the refs not call the illegal block, but what should have been an incomplete pass defined in the tuck rule, was ruled a fumble and upheld by review. Instead of being 3rd and 5 for the Steelers from the Giants 32, it became a 20-10 deficit for the Steelers. Later on, the referees also failed to penalize a Giants defender for a helmet to helmet hit on Mike Wallace, but that's okay, The Steelers weren't done.

With 14:16 left in the game and the Steelers trailing 20-10, Mike wallace got the Steelers to within 3 points on a 53 yard catch and run where he outran the speed of light and the Giants secondary on his way to the end zone. A short time later, trailing 20-17, it appeared that the Steelers were going to tie the game at 20 until an inexplicable fake field goal attempt failed to get the first down, turning the ball over to the Giants, after wasting a huge punt return by Emmanuel sanders. The defense got the ball right back for Ben and the offense by forcing the Giants into a 3 and out, setting the stage for Isaac Redman to finish of his monster night of 147 yards on 26 carries, with the deciding 1 yard touchdown run.

The Steelers played what has to be considered their best game of the season to date. Not only were they underdogs coming into the game against the World Champions, but they had to overcome the referees as well. They never wavered in their effort and they were rewarded with outstanding performances by Isaac Redman and the secondary who limited Eli Manning to 10-24 for 125 yards and an interception for a QB rating of 41.1, and for as bad as the Steelers looked against Tennessee and Oakland early on, the Steelers look like a playoff team with the way they handled their business earlier this evening. Considering how well they have played the last three weeks, they should get even better, as players like Troy polamalu come back from injury, and take advantage of the favorable remaining schedule.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 183

Default Re: Heart of a Champion: #Steelers overcome Refs and Giants

WATCH GAMES LIVE ON LINKS BELOW

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Threads : 164
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Good Read Reign. I am usually one who lets bad calls go. But this was blatantly one sided. The team showed more heart than I did, as I was ready to turn off the game and concede the NFL wanted the Giants to have this one.
    "ARRRGGHHH THERE WILL BE MUTTON TONIGHT!" Said the Troll

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by bdeff View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good Read Reign. I am usually one who lets bad calls go. But this was blatantly one sided. The team showed more heart than I did, as I was ready to turn off the game and concede the NFL wanted the Giants to have this one.
    Thanks, I appreciate it. I gotta say I was getting myself mentally ready to deal with a loss but hoping the Steelers would make a game of it at least. It really aggravated me more knowing Goodell was present to watch these blatantly bad calls which made it seem the refs were stepping up their game, so to speak, to lay the meat to the Steelers. I loved the attitude of the team which appeared to be we're gonna win regardless.

Threads : 54

You know, I've always joked about the conspiracy theory but now, I truly wonder what the heck we just seen yesterday. All the phantom calls, the non calls against the Steelers, the NFL wanting to seem like New Yorks savior with this game and the Giants winning. It all adds up to something that stinks. Seems like when we talk about someting on this site with the initials ref it always stinks.

At some point these are the two things to address because seeing is believing.

Either this game was tryng to be fixed or the refs are so bad, they need to be dismissed.
    Last edited by fezziwig; Nov-05-2012 at 07:47 PM.

Threads : 171

I'm not going to post my recap on here and still your thunder. I have my own website to do that. haha. Good read, man.
    The best sports blog in the history of Pittsburgh sports blogs. Did I mention I'm modest?

Hidden Content

And you can follow me on Twitter @IsItTheShoes926

Quote Originally Posted by IsItTheShoes926 View Post
    I'm not going to post my recap on here and still your thunder. I have my own website to do that. haha. Good read, man.
    Appreciate it Shoes. Feel free though to post your recap though
    It was a great read.

Threads : 70

Good stuff Reign... A nice recap of the game. It was clear that the Giants were awarded (at least) 7 points, and upon further review, 14 points, on BS calls.

That said, the Steelers still left a ton of points on the field. Three HUGE kick returns resulted in zero points. The fake FG (although I liked the design), failed as well. Also, Harrison's attempt to "scoop and score" on Eli's late fumble, rather than just falling on the ball kind of ****ed me off. That couldve been a game-clincher as well.

This team has clearly turned the corner, and are overcoming adversity/injuries in a manner that is extremely impressive!

I had high hopes for the '12 Steelers, that reverted to acceptance of mediocrity, that is now back to confidence! A rollercoaster ride for sure... The next two weeks will define this team!
    Hidden Content Chuck Norris wears Steelers Pajamas!!!

Threads : 135

Quote Originally Posted by bdeff View Post
    I had already done the turning off Bdeff I had had it it was pathetic. luckily the steelers perservered

Quote Originally Posted by Bton66 View Post
    Good stuff Reign... A nice recap of the game. It was clear that the Giants were awarded (at least) 7 points, and upon further review, 14 points, on BS calls.

That said, the Steelers still left a ton of points on the field. Three HUGE kick returns resulted in zero points. The fake FG (although I liked the design), failed as well. Also, Harrison's attempt to "scoop and score" on Eli's late fumble, rather than just falling on the ball kind of ****ed me off. That couldve been a game-clincher as well.

This team has clearly turned the corner, and are overcoming adversity/injuries in a manner that is extremely impressive!

I had high hopes for the '12 Steelers, that reverted to acceptance of mediocrity, that is now back to confidence! A rollercoaster ride for sure... The next two weeks will define this team!
    you're definitely right, if the Steelers want to get where they going, they can't leave points on the field when they find themselves with great field position from great returns or other splash plays.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information