Thread: Negatives about the Steelers win over the Giants.

Threads : 54

Default Negatives about the Steelers win over the Giants.

It's obvious we are upset that the refs did their best to take this game out of the Steelers hands. Outside of that I am very pleased with the win but, I have these questions.

What would you have done different about the game and what areas you think still needs improved ?

1. I'm upset we have injured players, that's a given for any fan.

2. What was Tomlin thinking with the fake fieldgoal ? Always take the points and especially when you can tie up the game. Even if he went for it legit play on fourth down, I would sooner have trusted Redman and the o-line. They were all on fire. Granted, had he made the touchdown this would be a moot point and it would have been a great call but truly, a coach shouldn't do what Tomlin did. At least not my idea of a level headed coach.

3. I did think it was a great flip pass from the holder to Shuisham so, I'm thinking they practice this move or scenario a lot and possibly they have seen something in game films the lead Tomlin to his choice of play calling. Nope, he still should have went for the three points.

4. I am greatful that Haley is our oc and he is tons better than Arians for all kinds of reasons I won't get it to now but having said all that, Haley has three fast receivers on this team and you would think he would air it out at least two times in a game. Last week I asked for three times a game. Next week I'll probably settle for once a game.

5. Did you guys see Coughlin on the sidelines speaking his mind to the refs ? Giving hell to the refs ? Am I missing the camera shot of Tomlin doing the same thing when we believe things are not going our way or we're being screwed ? Tomlin needs to jump in these refs faces when the moment or quickly after the moment of getting screwed. Let these refs know he won't accept their crap. Give the refs something to think about.

6. Glad Hamptons name was called but, in the short time McClendon had in there he was moving the pocket back and then he's back to sitting the bench.

7. When will Harrison, Woodley or Worilds show up and be a factor ?

8. Our corners should have had more interceptions and the coaches need to teach these guys how to catch. I realize some of these guys might have ended up being receivers if they had great hands but still, some of the balls hit them in the hands, in the bread basket, between the numbers and they still drop the freakinn ball.
    Hidden Content Steelers, Six Super Bowl Wins and No Cheating !

Threads : 131

Default Re: Negatives about the Steelers win over the Giants.

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's obvious we are upset that the refs did their best to take this game out of the Steelers hands. Outside of that I am very pleased with the win but, I have these questions.

What would you have done different about the game and what areas you think still needs improved ?

1. I'm upset we have injured players, that's a given for any fan.

2. What was Tomlin thinking with the fake fieldgoal ? Always take the points and especially when you can tie up the game. Even if he went for it legit play on fourth down, I would sooner have trusted Redman and the o-line. They were all on fire. Granted, had he made the touchdown this would be a moot point and it would have been a great call but truly, a coach shouldn't do what Tomlin did. At least not my idea of a level headed coach.

SOrry I disagree. Tomlin thinking was that he'd have in his back pocket the defense and if he doesn't score on the fake FG the he'll have the GIants O deep in their own territory. If he kicks the FG we get 3 point but then we don't pin them deep. The way they had been playing it seemed to be an ok call. Very simliar to going for it on 4th down. Sometimes the bear gets you and sometimes you get the bear.

3. I did think it was a great flip pass from the holder to Shuisham so, I'm thinking they practice this move or scenario a lot and possibly they have seen something in game films the lead Tomlin to his choice of play calling. Nope, he still should have went for the three points.

4. I am greatful that Haley is our oc and he is tons better than Arians for all kinds of reasons I won't get it to now but having said all that, Haley has three fast receivers on this team and you would think he would air it out at least two times in a game. Last week I asked for three times a game. Next week I'll probably settle for once a game.

Haley is going a fantasic job and mostly because Ben is playing a very very high level of execution. Just think where we'd be in the WR's don't drop so many passes we'd have another win and be at 6-2 at least.

5. Did you guys see Coughlin on the sidelines speaking his mind to the refs ? Giving hell to the refs ? Am I missing the camera shot of Tomlin doing the same thing when we believe things are not going our way or we're being screwed ? Tomlin needs to jump in these refs faces when the moment or quickly after the moment of getting screwed. Let these refs know he won't accept their crap. Give the refs something to think about.

Tomlin has a lot of self control I think. Kudos to him. He's a very happy guy underneath I think. Very very important.

6. Glad Hamptons name was called but, in the short time McClendon had in there he was moving the pocket back and then he's back to sitting the bench.

I wonder why he doesn't play more maybe they don't want him take the chance of him getting hurt and maybe they are saving him. Interesting observation I shall try and watch that on the replay tomorrow night.

I thought woodley was a factor in the game.

8. Our corners should have had more interceptions and the coaches need to teach these guys how to catch. I realize some of these guys might have ended up being receivers if they had great hands but still, some of the balls hit them in the hands, in the bread basket, between the numbers and they still drop the freakinn ball.
    I thought Lewis played incredibly well. Its tough to play CB indeed we certainly have hadCB's with better ball skills than this group but Lewis again played great. Someday soon I think he' be the #1 corner if not next year the year after that.

Threads : 179
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's almost as if the mindset is to break the pass up instead of catching the ball. The CB's have to be prepared to catch the ball. Defending the pass on one play doesn't matter if they score a TD on the next.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 1

Quote Originally Posted by Fezziwig
    I think Harrison has had an impact on the defense; since his return they have been playing better and getting pressure on the quarterback. His presence on the field can be an intimidating factor during a game. I don't think it's coincidence that the defense has started playing better since his return.

Papillon

Yeah, you can't or I can't argue about anything you guys said. Also, not that I couldn't stand us having a great game that I wanted to find the wrong with the team but, it's because we played such a great game I actually wondered if there was anything out there that the players could have done better.

I do have this question, Is it Bens fault that he throws so many passes that get knocked down by the d-line or is it that everyone is so tall now a days or is it on the o-line ?

Threads : 2

Balls getting batted down at the line is really two-fold.....Teams scouting on film to pick up tendencies and D-lineman knowing that if you aren't getting penetration on a passing play, get your arms up into passing lanes. The O-line has to hold position.....The old notion of cutting down the pass rusher is now a penalty called the "Chop Block", because that was how it was done back in the day. I also think players now have better skill sets and there are more specialized D-lineman......Snack is usually on the line when the oppostion is deeper in their end and on statistically probable run plays.

Threads : 19

I would think that there is a higher arc on the balls flight the longer the pass.With the emphasis on shorter routes the ball would necessarily have a lower trajectory.

Threads : 131

Yeah, you can't or I can't argue about anything you guys said. Also, not that I couldn't stand us having a great game that I wanted to find the wrong with the team but, it's because we played such a great game I actually wondered if there was anything out there that the players could have done better.

I do have this question, Is it Bens fault that he throws so many passes that get knocked down by the d-line or is it that everyone is so tall now a days or is it on the o-line ?
    As the one poster C* said sometimes on a flair pass to the RB or on some WR screen the Tackles may not get their guy on the ground which then causes some issues.

Threads : 58

Is it Bens fault that he throws so many passes that get knocked down by the d-line or is it that everyone is so tall now a days or is it on the o-line ?
    Throwing the outside screen pass to Brown or Wallace hurts when it comes to getting balls batted down, especially against the Giants. Obviously Roethlisberger has to get the ball out there as quickly as possible, hence there is no arc or air under the ball.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not against the call, but it's a hurried play by design. Film reading and smart play by the defense can break it up at times. Watching other games, Roethlisberger and the Steelers are not the only ones who have balls batted down.
    Last edited by Pittsburgh; Nov-11-2012 at 07:38 PM.

Threads : 1739
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Attempted Passes are one thing, but you're not including the number of times Ben goes back to pass and looks downfield for a deep pass and nothing is there and has to dump it off instead. There's plenty of calls IMO that are deep passes, what's happening this year is Todd Haley doesn't have him holding onto the ball as long as he used to, to get a [pass down field. If it's not there almost instantly then Ben is moving on through his progressions quickly. It's keeping him upright and injury free and the trade off is that he's not getting that extra 1 or maybe 2 deeper passes per game but his completion percentage is way up. It's at 67% which is a career high. Last year it was just 63.2% and in 2010 it was a poor 61.7%. Yarder per Completion and per attempt are down due to a shorter passing game.

I'm personally happier to see the Hits total down and a more efficient QB as the result. I think that the long stuff is going to happen more. It's tough to get open receivers deep when you have no running game. Right now the running game is looking really good and that is going to pull in safeties and help get Ben some 1 on 1 matchups deep
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

It was a terrible play call. Fi you're going to go for it, you could either have Shane Suisham try to run it in from about 5-7 yards deep on a direct snap ior you could give it to Isaac Redman who was hammer the Giants from about 3 yards out to gain about 1 foot. What do you think is going to be more successful?

It was just a dumb play. Certainly one of Tomlin's top 5 of all time IMO.

It has to be a talent thing. We've gone through 2 Defensive Backs Coaches in the past 5 years and the results are the same. Unless mike Tomlin's teaching guyas to not ****es and ball hawk which is the opposite of his results in Tampa Bay and Minnesota then all I can assume is that it's the talent.

Think about this, we have Carnell Lake as Secondary Coach who could pick a pass. We have Dick Lebeau who used to be a Secondary Coach and Corner Back who could both pick passes and got picks as a result from coaching. mike Tomlin was a successful secondary coach in Tampa Bay whjo got picks. I mean when you think about it, we have an extraordinary set of coaches with excellent secondary coaching resumes and/or playing careers in the secondary. This should be a great secondary and when it's not, I'm looking more in the direction of the talent and skill of the players we have

Kip your spot on with your opinion or at least, it makes sense on paper. When you addressed line item number eight (8) paragraph three (3) it gave me a flashback. Deon Figures, was he our last corner drafted number one ? Also, I can't remember his worth or value as a corner. I suppose he must have been at least decent if I can't remember him. I mostly remember him being shot and I believe, not with the team too much after that. Harvey (toast) Clayton, I rememeber for all the horrible, stomach turning, TV smashing, reasons in the world.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information