Thread: Marlins trade is a baseball tragedy, and Bud Selig deserves his share of blame

Threads : 6

Default Marlins trade is a baseball tragedy, and Bud Selig deserves his share of blame

Threads : 25
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Marlins trade is a baseball tragedy, and Bud Selig deserves his share of blame

It sucks for the guys who made a commitment as a free agent to sign there for years only to be traded the following year. I'd be ****ed for sure.
    Yipp Yipp Yipp...Uh Huh, Uh Huh

Threads : 181
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Marlins trade is a baseball tragedy, and Bud Selig deserves his share of blame

Quote Originally Posted by ShayP View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It sucks for the guys who made a commitment as a free agent to sign there for years only to be traded the following year. I'd be ****ed for sure.
    I wonder how much of this is to separate themselves from the "Ozzie" experiment and start fresh with Mike Redman? It's not like they haven't done this before and come back to win the World Series a short time later. This season was a disaster for them and if that's why they did it, I wouldn't blame them because they got nothing for the money they spent.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 197

The earliest sign of this was actually seen last offseason when they absolutely refused to give anyone a no trade clause. That definitely played a role in Pujols opting to take less money from the Angels. I really don't think this is a complete disaster for the Marlins from a baseball standpoint, but it's incredibly bad from a business perspective. I just don't see how they can sell this to their fans this year. They have to be considered the favorites to fall back to last place in ticket sales again this year despite the brand new ballpark.

It's going to kill them on the free agent market too. No big names are going to want to commit long term only to be shipped off God knows where the next season. The move from Miami to Toronto is a particularly bad one from a tax perspective.

Threads : 111
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Marlins trade is a baseball tragedy, and Bud Selig deserves his share of blame

It's a horrible business decision.

Baseball decision, I'm ok with it.

But the fans...
    They already had the stadium shoved down their throats, and now the big name players get shipped off.

They will have an empty stadium, and it's going to be harder to put together a winning team with no income.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information